Struggling with my class

I have, regularly attending, four children in my class. Two are boy/girl siblings with Autism, the 3rd has behavioural issues that are exacerbated by the other little boys behaviour and the last is scared stiff of coming to class because the others are so wild! They are 3 and 4, I teach out of Primary 1.

I have no tables or chairs in my room, I even took down the curtains (with permission) because of the constant opening and closing, (I've even considered taking out the light bulb to stop the switch flicking but it's a strip light) We sit on the floor and have a snack - Our lesson is last so we need the break - then I get out  some toys and the kids run around and stand all over each other while I try to deliver the lesson to varying degrees of success. If I don't have toys the little boy with Autism will run from the room as soon as the banana is finished, with the toys he lasts, on average, 15 minutes, before running from the room. The toys cause disruption for the others but I can't really have 1 rule for one, and I doubt I'd be able to enforce it anyway!

It was definitely getting better each week but now seems to be at a standstill.

I desperately need an assistant, preferably priesthood but I'm still waiting. (I used to have the siblings Mum but she asked for a release)

I just feel that the manual is SO over their heads most of the time, even the little bit at the end 'for younger children'.  I usually get one principle across e.g.: 'be kind to animals' while they play with a Noah's ark. I feel incredibly disheartened every week, I don't look forward to teaching and I feel like they are learning nothing. The advice for children with special needs says that if there is a disruption then stop the lesson until they are listening, if I did this then I'd never START the lesson!

Any ideas?

1. Have faith in the inspiration that led to you being given this opportunity to serve.

2. Always believe that you are doing good and having some impact

3. Lower your expectations so that they are more in line with the teachability of your students as opposed to what might happen in other classes or with other teaching experiences you have had with different students

4. Rejoice that you are helping precious children learn one important principle each week. How many members of the Gospel Doctrine class learn even one principle every month?

5. Sometimes, you might need to just focus on the one. 

6. Perhaps get some advice from a professional teacher who works full time teaching autistic children. Many teachers are glad to share their wisdom and knowledge with other teachers. 

7. Ask backroads or classylady, both of whom are members of this forum. One of them, I can't remember which,has lots of teaching experience. 

8. Ask the parents for advice, and get them more involved in your classes

9. Try to strengthen your out-of-class relationship with your students so that they don't just see you as their teacher

10. Talk to the Primary Presidency about the possibility of having a substitute teacher once a month so that you can take an occasional break

If there isn't a second adult in the room, they need to get one ASAP, or merge your class into another so that there are.  There should never be only one adult in the room.  Even if it's a continual string of substitutes, you need another adult in there with you.

I once had a huge sunbeam class when I was a teenager new to the chuch. I had no help soi looked at the manual and maybe picked out one concept and spent the rest of the time playing with the kids. Lower your standards! You know what church lessons are like. The same concepts will be taught year after year. With kids I think the key thing is that they feel that we love them and teach them a little bit. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
7 hours ago, zil said:

If there isn't a second adult in the room, they need to get one ASAP, or merge your class into another so that there are.  There should never be only one adult in the room.  Even if it's a continual string of substitutes, you need another adult in there with you.

This is my thought as well.  Until they get you some help, perhaps the parents of these children can take turns subbing in your class.  

Sticky, if you haven't yet done so, I strongly recommend that you listen to Elder Carl B Cooks talk given during the Sunday afternoon session of General Conference. His talk is quite relevant to your post and when properly listened to, should provide you with some valuable guidance and counsel.