Feeling the spirit more

15 minutes ago, Finrock said:

It most definitely helps to freely and openly talk about your abuse under the right circumstances. ... in order to truly start dealing with it and healing from it.

-Finrock

I think we agree.  I just didn't put all the ifs, ands, and buts in there.  But that is essentially what I was saying.

The reason I put it the way I did was that I've known several throughout my life (none on this forum) that so freely and openly talk about it with anyone and everyone that it makes me wonder if they ever got over it.  Seemingly, it is more about them re-living it than about any sort of cleansing, education, or edification.

I believe such detailed discussion should be held private just for the sake of privacy, not shame or secrecy.  It is healthy to be done with a counselor with expertise in helping survivors.  It may be helpful to others who are also victims so they can know that life does go on.  And it is educational to those who don't know about it.  The specific people I'm talking about did it in such a way that is not therapeutic, not helpful, and not educational.

I'm finding it interesting to note on this very forum how many of us have been abused.  It seem higher on this forum than the statistics that Jane provided.  

Many here have stated it as a fact of their lives.  And the level of detail is appropriate for a public setting.  The general feeling from most is that what has happened has happened. In the past, not the present.  Life has gone on.  We've felt healing both mind and body.  We've felt healing in spirit as well.  We are who we are, not because of what has happened to us, but because we chose to call upon the Atonement of Christ to heal us and strengthen us.