Trump Can't Win

3 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

About the stolen car...correlation is not causation.

About Melana....ew, ew, ew....I didn't know most of that.  Ew. 

The media outlets being vilified by Trump supporters who did report it were criticized by lefties for "slut shaming". Really, it's quite fascinating, as obviously Trump likes women of "progressive" morals and treats all women in the manner that he would like them to act. 

Right wing media outlets wouldn't bring it up because it doesn't fit their narrative of Trump as the "outsider" to corruption.

He's an outsider alright, to everything that is moral and good. Both lefties and righties are being super hypocritical, in regards to this aspect of the Trump persona. 

Edited by Blueskye2

19 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I guess, to distill things a different way:  There is a lot of overlap between Trump and the characteristics associated with Baal or Baal-worship.  He is a sexual libertine and, by most indicators, a sexual predator as well.  He is, by most indicators, staggeringly materialistic and hedonistic.  He is, by most objective indicators, a profligate liar.  He is, by many objective indicators, capable of being deeply dishonorable in business.  He is, by most objective indicators, a vulgarian.  He does, by most objective indicators, take special delight in the sufferings of those he considers to be his enemies. 

It's one thing to say "this is the president who was elected, and now we'll have to work with him as a partner of dubious reliability".  It's entirely another to say "no, no!  He's really a good guy and we should accept his worthy moral leadership!".  That's the kind of conduct in which I refuse to participate, and I am happy to condemn it in the abstract by citing 1 Kings 19 (and Isaiah 5:20, if you want to go there).  We all know who and what Trump is, we can all read the various apologias being offered for his character, and we can all draw conclusions about the applicability (or lack thereof) of the scriptures in question.

And he's extremely adept at telling enough of a truth so his followers will swallow a lie. 

Edited by Blueskye2

53 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I think you misunderstood me.  Cars get stolen all the time. Cars were stolen before this election, and they will continue to be stolen for years to come. We can't assume that this was connected to the protests. That's just logic.  

Anatess's son got attacked by bullies for wearing his trump hat, people rioting and setting crap on fire across the country at anti-Trump rallies, protesters saying stuff like "people have to die"...

Yeah, we don't know the details about the stolen car.  But there's no denying the after-election violence is happening, coming from people who are against Trump.

Guest LiterateParakeet
10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Anatess's son got attacked by bullies for wearing his trump hat, people rioting and setting crap on fire across the country at anti-Trump rallies, protesters saying stuff like "people have to die"...

Yeah, we don't know the details about the stolen car.  But there's no denying the after-election violence is happening, coming from people who are against Trump.

I agree with you about Anatess' son.  I just don't think the car is symbolic of anything.

And I agree about the after election violence....it's coming FROM Trump supporters as well.  There's hate being slung around from both sides.  

21 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Yep - by my count, there are three forces driving the post-election unrest:

1- Trump's over-the-top rhetoric throughout the campaign.
2- 8 years of divisive leadership, widening and deepening the gaps that were already there in 2008.
3- The Clinton/Media spin machine whipping everyone up into a panicky froth.

14 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yep - by my count, there are three forces driving the post-election unrest:

1- Trump's over-the-top rhetoric throughout the campaign.
2- 8 years of divisive leadership, widening and deepening the gaps that were already there in 2008.
3- The Clinton/Media spin machine whipping everyone up into a panicky froth.

Yeap... and depending on what side people favor (1 or 3) they cherry pick the instances that support the other being bad/wrong/evil... while being selectively blind to their own sides faults (namely due to number 2)

Edited by estradling75

8 hours ago, Blueskye2 said:

Sorry, this "elite" speachmaking by Trump and his supporters, is part of the problem. Just because people have different ideas and think differently than you, doesn't make them "elite". It's a buzzword, and buzzwords don't convey anything meaningful. 

That being said, where I work is very liberal and people at the office are sending around emails meant to console each other. Saying things like being ashamed for not being aware of people who felt so disenfranchised,  Do you want to hear stuff like that?Because frankly, I find it condescending, and am embarrassed that they are sending around the emails.  :/

Thers a deep divide, and isn't about elites and disenfranchised, it's about viewing the world in very different ways. Deeply different ways. If you want to say, mainstream media, of all types, from news to movies, doesn't tell the story of all Americans, then yeah I can agree with that. Neither story should be suppressed and neither should view other Americans as less than they view themselves. 

As for racism, I read a short explanation, that people who support Trump may not be as racist and bigoted as Trump, but they were willing to view his racism and bigotry as an expendable thing, which people take personally as they, themselves, being expendable to Trump supporters. 

Actions have consequences. Trump is not the savior that he's built himself up to be. He's just a man. Who is entering a world where he has no experience, which means he is going to make a lot of mistakes. He might get good at it by year four. I only hope that they are all relatively minor mistakes. 

I'm not talking about you when I say "elite".  I'm talking about Republicans and Democrats alike who we elected into government who failed (and continue to fail) the people - this includes representatives who use their seat in Congress as nothing more than a siphon for election campaign funding.  This includes a Republican Congress who tacked on defunding Planned Parenthood to funding Zika virus research effectively putting an effort with bipartisan support to a screeching halt.  Those elites.

43 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I take it we are being sarcastic in this thread, so here's my "best" (I can't pick just one): 

Trump Supporters Brutally Attack Gay Man - California

I find it useful to look deeper, the more sensational the story.  And this is about as sensational as it gets:

dlme.jpg

Here's what the guy's facebook page has to say about it:

‘When I came to, I remember waking up and wiping the blood from my eyes. I called some friends, they picked me up and I went right to the hospital,’ 

Here's what the cops had to say about it:

UPDATE: Nov. 11 at 8:49 a.m. ET: The Santa Monica Police Department has responded to reports of this incident with the following statement:

You may have seen an unconfirmed story regarding a possible hate crime incident involving a “Chris Ball” alleging he was assaulted in Santa Monica on election night, November 8, by “Trump Supporters”.

The Santa Monica Police Department and the City of Santa Monica have not received any information indicating this crime occurred in the City of Santa Monica. We encourage the alleged victim to come forward and work with us if a crime did in fact take place. A check of local hospitals revealed there was no victim of any such incident admitted or treated as well.

The newspaper that interviewed the victim has this to say:

In retrospect, Ball doesn’t think it was really a political issue – it was a hate issue, fuelled by the charged atmosphere of the election night, with a group of drunk people who used Trump’s rhetoric as an excuse to get in a fight. He feels it could very well have been a Clinton supporter, or just someone else with a homophobic attitude on any other night – it’s an ongoing issue.

So yeah, sounds like that correlation/causation advice you're giving is well applied here.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, estradling75 said:

With Trump's win... the players switch sides but the dance remains the same.

The Republicans will do things that they decried the Democrats doing over the last 8 years...

The Democrats will do things that they decried the Republicans doing over the last 8 years..

"Welcome to the boss, same as the old boss"-The Who. From their song "Won't get fooled again". Oh, the delicious irony. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest LiterateParakeet
48 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I find it useful to look deeper, the more sensational the story.

Good advice. My point still stands though that there is violence coming from both sides....that was just one of many incidents. And the others are less sensational. ;)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/10/women-in-hijabs-on-2-campuses-say-they-were-attacked-by-men-invoking-donald-trump/

Another story of violent Trump supporters turns out to be fake.

As for the Chris Ball story, police say none of the local hospitals had anyone brought in with the injuries he claims, he's a filmmaker, (so would know - and have friends that know - more about makeup and special effects than most people...including things like making sure actors scheduled to bleed have some white clothes on to show the blood.) and frankly, speaking as someone who's had fairly serious scalp injuries in that area twice, it just doesn't look right.  

Edited by NightSG

57 minutes ago, NightSG said:

And for every story that turns out to be fake... it becomes that much harder to believe the ones that are true.  That is what happens when you "Cry Wolf"