What are you OCD about?

pam

This is in no means a way to make fun of those who do suffer from numerous OCD issues.  But for a lack of a better term.

So what are you OCD about?

For me, I can't sleep on a pillow case right out of the dryer.  It has to be ironed.  I think it has to do with my growing up years before permanent press when all pillow cases had to be ironed.  I can't seem to get past that.

My pinterest board has to be alphabetized.  I can't stand random boards. :)   

That's two that I can come up with off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are many more.

What about you?

Do you really want to delve into the depths of my madness?:clown:

<insert maniacal laughter>

When I walk on a floor with large segments, I try not to walk on cracks.  I further project various geometric shapes from any shape on the floor.  I try not to walk on the projected geometric shapes.

Edited by Guest

Even numbers.  I can't eat 1, 3, 5 etc. M&Ms, potato chips, or anything.  If I eat one, there must be a second.  If a third, I must have a fourth.  When I'm hyper aware, I find myself needing to take steps in pairs when I go somewhere, stairways with an odd number of stairs freak me out, and I always buy 2-packs of everything if there's an option.

Okay I have another.  I can't stand anything on my kitchen counters.  So even small appliances have to be put away into cupboards.  The only thing that is on a counter is a utensil holder for things that I used to cook or bake with on the stove or oven.  

I can't stand for one hand to be wet and not the other one. Well, that may just be weird and not OCD. But every can and container in my kitchen cabinets has to be lined up with the label facing outward. I can tell if pictures on the wall or a stack of books is even a hairbreadth not quite straight. And, oh my goodness, don't even leave so much as a dirty spoon in my sink overnight. I will not be able to sleep.

I pay my MasterCard about 3 times a month and always leave a float on it. I have 3 calendar notifications that remind me to pay it every month. I am constantly tidying my home: put everything away, wash dishes put away dishes do laundry, although I do have a cleaning lady. I refuse to buy anything else because then I will have something else that needs to be tidied away. Nothing else is coming into this house! I just bought a mini vacuum for my office!

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

I pay my MasterCard about 3 times a month and always leave a float on it. I have 3 calendar notifications that remind me to pay it every month. I am constantly tidying my home: put everything away, wash dishes put away dishes do laundry, although I do have a cleaning lady. I refuse to buy anything else because then I will have something else that needs to be tidied away. Nothing else is coming into this house! I just bought a mini vacuum for my office!

Well isn't that something coming into your house? :P

Sometimes when we are playing Scrabble, my mother will put down an "N" tile...

2000px-Scrabble_letter_N.svg.png

...the wrong way up!

Which is fine of course (the letter N having rotational symmetry) except that the number 1 is in the wrong position: UPSIDE DOWN and ON TOP INSTEAD OF UNDERNEATH, and TO THE LEFT INSTEAD OF TO THE RIGHT.

Whenever she does this I ALWAYS have to grab the tile and replace it the right way up, so it conforms with all the other tiles.

4 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Whenever she does this I ALWAYS have to grab the tile and replace it the right way up, so it conforms with all the other tiles.

That reminds me about what I do with money both in game and IRL.  Monopoly, for example:  I see someone fiddling with money trying to add it up for a payment.  But they're adding it up in the most inconvenient method possible.  And they're bad at it.  So, I rearrange the bills in a manner that is easier to add up.  But they don't understand why it was easier to add that way. :unsure:

21 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I worked at a candy store in SLC, the boss instructed his cashiers to have all of the bills "face up, facing the temple".  He was about 87.2% kidding.  

Ok, the "facing the temple" saying it totally cheesy. 

But there is actually a point of having all the bills face-up and facing the same direction-- it's the only way an older bill counting machine can count them.  So during my time as a cashier, that became my OCD: got to put the bills the right way!      That's part of the reason I only use plastic nowadays.

10 hours ago, bytebear said:

I am very particular about my code.  Starting braces on the same line, camelCase for function names, under_scores for local variables, UpperCase for class names and ALL_CAPS for constants.

Coder here too-- this is not a silly OCD, this is an very productive time-saving OCD.  I approve!

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Ok, the "facing the temple" saying it totally cheesy. 

But there is actually a point of having all the bills face-up and facing the same direction-- it's the only way an older bill counting machine can count them.  So during my time as a cashier, that became my OCD: got to put the bills the right way!      That's part of the reason I only use plastic nowadays.

YES! I think all of us who have worked retail at one point in our lives heard our bosses say that 

There are so many – I do not know where to begin.

Leaving the bedroom in the morning without getting dressed and making the bed (very strange because my office area is a complete mess.)

Starting a day with prayer – also ending a day and going to sleep with prayer.

I prefer vocal prayers.  If something is very pressing or extremely important – I prefer prayers and meditation while I am doing something – usually hiking, skiing or cycling.  Sometimes when something is very important – I prefer writing out my prayer and editing it.

No physical contact beyond handshakes – wife is the one and only single exception.

I do not like money – I do not like asking for payment or spending money.

I love people but not in mass.

Attending church when I travel.

Wearing Sunday cloths all day of the Sabbath.

A clean car – including the engine compartment and trunk.  I do not understand why anyone would eat in a car or bathroom???  -- Also strange because I do not understand why anyone cringes when I pick up something I dropped (including in public places) and eat it.

I very much dislike trying to figure out what to wear – what matches or is in fashion. If it is clean – What else matters and why does anyone care???

The Traveler

13 hours ago, bytebear said:

I am very particular about my code.  Starting braces on the same line, camelCase for function names, under_scores for local variables, UpperCase for class names and ALL_CAPS for constants.

I'll have to take your word for it. :P

• pam featured this topic
Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, pam said:

I know that's why I do it.  I've worked retail in some way for years now.

Yup. I worked retail and delivered pizzas in college. I had to have all my cash sorted the same way or it would drive me crazy. 

Another OCD of mine is chronic gum chewing. I quit smoking cigarettes by chewing bubble gum and it's still a habit. I'd blow bubbles in priesthood and the bishop would just smile at me. 

• pam unfeatured this topic