Hello! New here and new to the mormon church in general. While I've grown up in a christian way and try to hold christian beliefs, (that is behaving kind and considerate to others etc); I have not gone to church for a long time or been 'active' in religion as such but recently I have been feeling like something is missing and feeling a bit lonely and open minded. Anyway, I met and had a lovely conversation with some LDS missionaries who were on the street today, and I ended up walking away with a book of mormon and an arrangement to have a further discussion in my house. Now I'm at home and had a chance to take it all in, I have some questions!

While I have agreed to letting these people come over to have a chat, what will this actually entail? As I am new to all this I would feel rushed if they are expecting me to get baptised, or if agreeing to a visit is something more than just answering a few questions or just saying what it is all about. Basically I'm worried about wasting their time because I have mis understood something (or feeling bit overwhelmed by having lots of people in my house)!! I am thinking of going to the church which will maybe give me the answers I have rather than a house visit but just wanted to see if anyone could help me here.

Many thanks in advance for your answers!

Welcome, small thyme! :)  I'm pinging @An Investigator, because I think she could help give you some guidance here.  While we wait...  It's your house, and the missionaries will be your guests, so you can set the pace and the expectation.  Be open and up front about what you would like from your discussions with them, and the pace or frequency of discussions - the missionaries will appreciate knowing what to expect.  You could ask the same question of them - what do they expect.

The missionaries' purpose is to teach about the Church and the gospel of Jesus Christ, and yes, they would like people to gain a testimony and choose to be baptized, but I believe they're willing to teach you even if you're not so sure that's what you want.

As for attending church versus having the missionaries come over, I think both would be useful.  Attending church may bring up a lot of questions which they can answer, or there may be a lot of things you don't hear about on any given Sunday, but which they will teach you.

We, of course, are happy to answer your questions here, too.

Whatever else is true, please know that everyone involved has only your welfare and happiness at heart, even if they don't do a good job of showing it. :)

Edited by zil

Hi @small thyme!  Welcome to the forum and (more importantly) welcome to exploring the LDS church!

1 hour ago, small thyme said:

While I have agreed to letting these people come over to have a chat, what will this actually entail?

The missionaries come over and chat, typically aiming for like 30 minutes (but can be longer or shorter).  There's some small talk and getting-to-know-you stuff.  Feel free to ask them about where they're from, what's their majors, home life, etc.  Then the big subject matter is to talk about God.  Things like what you believe, and what LDS believe.  Some of this is going to be very familiar to you (like we believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and our Savior), and some of it different.  

As to number of people coming over: if you are the same gender as the missionaries, then it'll likely just be the two missionaries whom come over.  If you are of a different gender than the missionaries, they will likely bring someone of the same gender as you along (this is to prevent any misconceptions that this is some type of romantic date).

As I am new to all this I would feel rushed if they are expecting me to get baptised, or if agreeing to a visit is something more than just answering a few questions or just saying what it is all about.

All you agreed to was for them to come over and chat for a couple of minutes.

If at a later time you would like to agree to be baptized, you can do so at that time.  

Basically I'm worried about wasting their time because I have mis understood something (or feeling bit overwhelmed by having lots of people in my house)!! I am thinking of going to the church which will maybe give me the answers I have rather than a house visit but just wanted to see if anyone could help me here.

Many thanks in advance for your answers!

Nonsense!!  Meeting with people like you is what these missionaries have devoted two years of their life to!  Don't worry about the mess (I assure you that the missionaries have seen MUCH worse!).

Also, if you would rather meet them at some place which is not your house (church, library, park, etc), you can do that.

Edited by Jane_Doe

Thank you for your quick and kind replies! Definitely put me at ease!

I am going to read the introduction and write a list of questions/thoughts so I am prepared and not stuttering :P It was kind of hard to properly listen to what was being said on the street as it was quite busy and passers by interrupting, so will be nice to actually have a proper conversation!

Nice to know nothing is expected of me, I am just hoping to properly discuss things so I can make my mind up if it is for me or at least begin my journey. :) 

Thank you!

59 minutes ago, small thyme said:

Thank you for your quick and kind replies! Definitely put me at ease!

I am going to read the introduction and write a list of questions/thoughts so I am prepared and not stuttering :P It was kind of hard to properly listen to what was being said on the street as it was quite busy and passers by interrupting, so will be nice to actually have a proper conversation!

Nice to know nothing is expected of me, I am just hoping to properly discuss things so I can make my mind up if it is for me or at least begin my journey. :) 

Thank you!

Way to go!!!

Do keep in touch-- we're eager to hear how it goes.

Hi!

Well done for taking a big step! I've recently joined the Church so to give you some info.  

first of all don't panic,  what ever you want to do is up to you.  The Missionaries will call round and yes their main goal is to teach about our Church.   Some might be a bit pushy on the Baptism front, not because they mean to be they are young kids and sometimes get carried away and excited.   Just be honest with them if they are going to fast,  they sometimes don't get treat very well and really appreciate it.

All the Missionaries I had while I was looking into the Church (I had three sets) were great,  I saw them once a week at a set time because I'm a mum with two kids and needed time to ponder things/ didn't want to rush.   I have kept in touch with one in them, when he ends his mission his parents are coming over and he wants to take me out for dinner to meet them.  Apparently my conversion to the Gospel made his mission worth while. 

Although the Missionaries are great the best thing I found was to go to Church and volunteer to do anything..  I have been to Stake Choir, Relief Society (women's organisation)  stuff, firesides (talks) charity stuff.. by doing this I have a really firm Base of friends in the Church who I really love.  They have been a great support to me and I feel truly blessed to have them in my life.

Finally,  I can honestly say Joining the Church has been the best thing to ever happen to me, my life is just more purposeful and peaceful.   I wish you well, please let us know how you get on x

Edit: just to say it took me 8 months to be baptised and I've been in the Church 9 months now 

Edited by An Investigator

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2016 at 11:27 AM, small thyme said:

As I am new to all this I would feel rushed if they are expecting me to get baptised, or if agreeing to a visit is something more than just answering a few questions or just saying what it is all about. Basically I'm worried about wasting their time because I have mis understood something (or feeling bit overwhelmed by having lots of people in my house)!! I am thinking of going to the church which will maybe give me the answers I have rather than a house visit but just wanted to see if anyone could help me here.

Oh boy - it wasn't that long ago that I was in your shoes. I was just planning on learning some Mormon history from the missionaries and it kind of went out of control from there. : )

Seriously, I agree with another poster that you should try both; reading is one thing, participating in a service and meeting people is another. For me, I felt really blessed that I didn't have to be baptized to take the Sacrament. From the beginning, I felt that I needed the Sacrament to help me during the week as I thought about everything. I would also suggest that you read some of the Conference talks to get a feeling of how the leadership speaks to the Church and what feels is important to know.

I think converting is the best thing I've ever done (short of becoming a parent). I'm very glad I did it - and that I found this board, which was very supportive of me as I sought answers.