Is there a right way and a wrong way to bare a testimony?

AngelLynn

I am only asking as of course last Sunday was fast and testimony meeting and I have been pondering over all the members who bore their testimonies. Some of them really touched my heart and others well they also touched my heart but some of them seemed more like getting something off of their chest rather than testifying of the truth of the gospel. So I am asking is there a proper way to bear a testimony to others?

This is something that really gets to my husband. It really bothers him that by the time so many people sit down from "baring their testimony", you know their life story, when and where their last few vacations were, what's wrong at home, and so much more information than you cared to know, and still after all of that you don't know what they believe.

I think a testimony should be simple and just what it says, a testimony... you, testifying of eternal truths you have come to know. I think it's nice to share stories sometimes of how you came to know something specific, but other than that, I don't think stories should be shared in your testimony. there are other times and places for that. However as many times as bishops and stake presidents stress that a testimony should just be you sharing what you know to be true, and not a travel log, I don't think it will ever stop. People just don't get it.

I hear ya Shera.

I remember after a bunch of people were baring their testimony (after being told to keep it short and cut to the chase) the last person came up with tears filled in his eyes. This was after a few stories (that related, yay!) and someone sang a verse of a hymn to aid her in baring her testimony, and other stories and testimonies.

So he went up to that podium, tears filling his eyes and said with a quivering voice, "I don't have a story. I don't have a song. But I have a testimony that this Gospel is true." (Last line paraphrased since I don't think I got it right.)

That was powerful, and the Spirit filled the room.

I never bare my testimony unless instructed to by the Spirit and when I do I ask what I should say. Every testimony meeting I attend I'll ask, "So, do you have a message for me to deliver? Should I bear my testimony?" And sometimes he fills my mind with something and tells me when to get up and other times I get the hang tight no worries feeling. A story usually accompanies my testimony but it directly relates, and I'm not wandering around. After all, the Spirit's telling me what to say, kinda hard to get off track. ;)

Here is the Elder Oaks talk referred to above.

I think Elder Oaks provides the example in the article of how to bare testimony:

I close with my testimony. I know that we have a Heavenly Father, whose plan brings us to earth and provides the conditions and destiny of our eternal journey. I know that we have a Savior, Jesus Christ, whose teachings define the plan and whose Atonement gives the assurance of immortality and the opportunity for eternal life. I know that the Father and the Son appeared to the Prophet Joseph Smith to restore the fulness of the gospel in these latter days. And I know that we are led today by a prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, who holds the keys to authorize priesthood holders to perform the ordinances prescribed for our progress toward eternal life. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

There is a spirit of the law and a letter of the law, if you will, and if it can be applied to this topic with a bit of imagination.

The letter of the law is to bear pure testimony.

The spirit of the law is that if you feel you need to relate a short personal story to help others understand why you are saying what you chose to say, I see no harm. They can actually help edify.

Like many on this forum, however, I get uneasy during travel logs and get lost fairly quick.

Short and brief, and to the point is never the wrong way to go when bearing a testimony.

I am only asking as of course last Sunday was fast and testimony meeting and I have been pondering over all the members who bore their testimonies. Some of them really touched my heart and others well they also touched my heart but some of them seemed more like getting something off of their chest rather than testifying of the truth of the gospel. So I am asking is there a proper way to bear a testimony to others?

When we bear our testimony, it should always be done via the Spirit. If it is, you feel the Holy Ghost making that confirmation to those who are ready to receive it. I have been in meetings when it is nothing more than confessions of the soul. This is wrong and not a testament Christ and the gospel.

Elder Jay E. Jensen, spoke on this subject with great passion. He spoke of seven 'do nots' when we give our personal testimony on Fast Sunday:

Sometimes we can learn much about a principle by identifying what it is not. I have found that a testimony is:

• Not an exhortation. Individuals who stand and exhort others in a fast and testimony meeting or even try to call others to repentance, even with the best of intentions, are usurping authority and are often offending others and disrupting the spirit of the meeting.

• Not an experience, although experiences may illustrate belief and conviction.

• Not an expression of gratitude or love, although these are often appropriately included in our testimony sharing.

• Not a public confession.

• Not a sermon or a talk on some doctrinal point, although someone may quote a scripture and then testify of it.

• Not a long explanation of how you know but rather what you know.

• Not merely saying the words “I have a testimony.” It is not inappropriate to say this, but hopefully there is an expression following these words about the doctrines, truths, and principles of which you have a testimony.

Article: LDS.org - Ensign Article - Bearing Testimony

You can clearly see, it does happen when we listen to those on Sunday.

What we can do as members in attendance, is to ensure that we pray for those to have that Spirit with them as they give their testimony. We need to apply our own faith in aiding others that they may speak by the Spirit vice themselves. :D

There is a spirit of the law and a letter of the law, if you will, and if it can be applied to this topic with a bit of imagination.

The letter of the law is to bear pure testimony.

The spirit of the law is that if you feel you need to relate a short personal story to help others understand why you are saying what you chose to say, I see no harm. They can actually help edify.

Like many on this forum, however, I get uneasy during travel logs and get lost fairly quick.

Short and brief, and to the point is never the wrong way to go when bearing a testimony.

Amen.

I think that the only way to botch a testimony is where you stop bearing it and move into stuff like gospel lessons, preaching, thanking, analyzing, and otherwise waxing profound. A testimony can be born in silent ways....in how you treat another or how you live thru a crisis. A testimony at church is only one way in a long list of ways one can share belief and truth with the world and help others to feel the Spirit of God.

There was an article in the Ensign many years back don't ask me to find it lol it made an impression on me

It contained a father who was talking with a child about baring their testimony on Sunday, he talked about how for years he had cringed when small children had got up and just said I love Jesus and I love my Parents,

His child asked would he like to hear her testimony, she said I love Jesus and I love my parents in the Name of Jesus Christ Amen - he said would she like to say some other things and tried coaching her, she burst into tears and said Daddy you don't like my testimony. He then he realised she didn't know the other things he said, but she did know she loved Jesus and she loved Mummy and Daddy. That was where her testimony was at.

That came in an Ensign about the time I think it was President Hinckely talked about there being no such think as a bad/boring sacrament meeting if we listened with the spirit

Our branch has always been a bit cuckoo lol at the time our testimony meetings were as follows, one Brother got up and told about his prostate, his wife got up and we heard about her market stall, another got up and we got the tales of the brass band for that week, another brother had, had a dream, a sister usually got up and cried for half an hour and we went home lol

Those 2 things combined in the Ensign at the time made me realise it was upto me to feel the spirit, and realise actually those things were were their testimony was at. The General Authorities are encouraging us to grow and learn but until we get to that stage the testimonies given in my funny branch at the time were what the people baring them were able to give

Most of the people that used to bear their testimonies like that are now dead, but the two that are still alive have really grown up their testimonies in the past few years and can actually reduce me to tears (doesn't happen very often) not very well educated people have gained great wisdom in their current trials and their testimonies are now where the Brethern want them to be, Although we could have done without the moral lectures from the serial adulterer but the rest were learning:) or a bit off their trolley

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

Ironically enough, the best testimony meetings I've ever been to were LDS Addiction Recovery group meetings.

Though I have never been to one of these groups I can believe that. Here you have people that have sunk to the lowest in their spirituality, relationships etc and are pulling themselves up. With the help of the Gospel etc. I bet those testimony meetings are tear jerkers.

Yeah, there's a wrong way to bare a testimony. I've personally witnessed the following in wards I've been in:

* One lady called fat people to repentance during her testimony.

* One lady called denim-wearers to repentance for wearing pants in the chapel. She closed her testimony with "And don't pee on the trees either! innanamajesuschristamen!"

LM

I remember once during a fast and testimony meeting a gentleman (I use that loosely) got up to bear his testimony. He was visiting the area. Instead of a testimony, he berated our ward about our lack of reverence etc. We were a very young ward at the time with LOTS of babies and children. The Bishop quietly asked him to sit down. First time I've ever seen that done...

But yes..testimony meeting is not a time for things like that.

The folks in my ward frequently give thanks for something that recently happened in their lives or else talk of their grief from a death or injury and how they were comforted by their beliefs.

No matter what they say, it is invariably important to them and so I see this expression as acceptable and healthy for their wellbeing and the wellbeing of the ward. On the other hand, I see the testimonies of children whose parents have whispered the words to them, not being helpful to the child and causing increased neuroticism in the parent.

Just a thought...

No matter what they say, it is invariably important to them and so I see this expression as acceptable and healthy for their wellbeing and the wellbeing of the ward. On the other hand, I see the testimonies of children whose parents have whispered the words to them, not being helpful to the child and causing increased neuroticism in the parent.

Just a thought...

What if the child asks the parent?

I used to agree whole heartedly with you until my own child taught me lol asked to go up when she was about 18 months (she is massive show off), so I sent her up but she froze blew a raspberry and said Amen.

Now she asks me to come with her and help, but we have discussed what she wants to say beforehand

-Charley

...my own child taught me lol asked to go up when she was about 18 months (she is massive show off), so I sent her up but she froze blew a raspberry and said Amen.

Now she asks me to come with her and help, but we have discussed what she wants to say beforehand

-Charley

Charley, I find that delightful. A child of 18 months blowing a raspberry and then saying Amen, on her own, was certainly meaningful to her. Besides, "making a joyous noise unto the Lord" is very Biblical. If I were in the audience, it would help keep me awake during the testimonies.

:lol:

A letter came out from the First Presidency to all Wards and Branches a few years ago. Sacrament meeting is not a place where children should bear their testimony. Our Bishop pulls out that letter and re-reads it to us every couple of years.

Once the children develop their own personal understanding about what it all means, and do indeed develop their own testimony, that's the time it is appropriate to share with the congregation. Until then, FHE, maybe primary or Sunday School, those are fine places to help a child learn how to bear a testimony.

LM

Once the children develop their own personal understanding about what it all means, and do indeed develop their own testimony, that's the time it is appropriate to share with the congregation. Until then, FHE, maybe primary or Sunday School, those are fine places to help a child learn how to bear a testimony.

LM

see this I feel uncomfortable with Children do have testimonies and ok will have to support first presidency, but quite frankly if my daughter wants to go up and bear her testimony should I truly tell her that her testimony isn't important enough?

She may not have the words of a grown up, but she knows the Lord answers her prayers etc never met anyone the Lord takes care of like he does our Ellie.

-Charley

When we bear our testimony, it should always be done via the Spirit. If it is, you feel the Holy Ghost making that confirmation to those who are ready to receive it. I have been in meetings when it is nothing more than confessions of the soul. This is wrong and not a testament Christ and the gospel.

Elder Jay E. Jensen, spoke on this subject with great passion. He spoke of seven 'do nots' when we give our personal testimony on Fast Sunday:

You can clearly see, it does happen when we listen to those on Sunday.

What we can do as members in attendance, is to ensure that we pray for those to have that Spirit with them as they give their testimony. We need to apply our own faith in aiding others that they may speak by the Spirit vice themselves. :D

Thank you Hemidakota, my view exactly.

Some members have such a hard time speaking in front of people, but when the Spirit nudges them out of their seat (sometimes under protest lol) it is a lovely thing, the spirit will be so close to them he will make the person sharing their testimony so full of the holy spirit that it is hard for them to stop this pouring out of their reasons for loving heavenly father, loving Jesus, why and what brought them into the church.

Do not take this moment away from them, do not sit looking at your watches, this person will notice everything going on in the room, if you do not want to be there then dont be there, but do stay as you may see and feel a lot of love being poured out from the Holy Ghost..

This is the Testimony bearers moment, no i feel there is no rules as to how this should go, you just go ahead and speak your heart out and god bless you for feeding his children with your true words of love and kindness.

see this I feel uncomfortable with Children do have testimonies and ok will have to support first presidency, but quite frankly if my daughter wants to go up and bear her testimony should I truly tell her that her testimony isn't important enough?

She may not have the words of a grown up, but she knows the Lord answers her prayers etc never met anyone the Lord takes care of like he does our Ellie.

-Charley

You are correct, how can there be an age at where one can bear a testimony, i would never stop anyone for fear of my fathers wrath.

After all are we not all gods children, young and old.

You are correct, how can there be an age at where one can bear a testimony, i would never stop anyone for fear of my fathers wrath.

After all are we not all gods children, young and old.

I just think if we do not listen to the testimony of a child we lose so much, personally I feel very strongly the testimony weeks when the Primary kids have got together and decided they will all get up, or the YM/YW have said they will all get up (ie if you do it I will) and some weeks our testimony meeting has been almost entirely from those from 3-18 and I love those weeks the rest of us don't get a chance to get up, the little ones get up because the older ones have set the example.

I don't know one person that leaves our branch feeling bad those weeks, because the testimony of a child or youth especially in a small branch is one each of us there contribute to. And each member has been brought back to basics which is what our Branch and Stake President are focusing on right now - last year was love and befriend one another, this year they are concentrating on family prayer, family scripture study and family home evening. And we are seeing the messages our local leaders are giving coming forth and bearing fruit every month when one or more of the children and youth in the branch step forward and share their testimony.

Also I could be wrong but hasn't there been a change in the amount of time given over to baring a testimony in the auxiliaries? At least in some Stakes. I just could not imagine President Monson saying to a child no you may not get up and bare your testimony

-Charley

Edited by Elgama