Chai tea

weaselv12

So i am going to school and they have a jazzman's cafe, we are not supposed to drink coffee or tea, But i have started drinking this chai tea. this chai tea is supposed to be all natural and have nothing bad in it, i was wondering if i should be drinking it or not. I have searched on the net and have found nothing bad about it yet so i dont know if someone could help me out about this i would be great full.

a highly debated subject... I do drink herbal teas and green tea and have no problems with it and do not think it goes against the WoW but others will disagree... In the end you have to read the WoW and pray and ponder what it means to you... Ask your Bishop and research the LDS.ORG which has all conference talks on the subject as well as BYUTV also has alot of great info... Here you will get a million individual opinions....

Guest Alana

Chai tea is tea with extra spices added to it. I don't drink it because it has tea leaf in it. I've had herbal chai and it's great, especially with egg nog in it:) The chai spices and egg nog flavoring are very similar.

• 2 months later...

Chai tea has just as much caffeine in it as coffee.

Chai tea's main tea ingredient is black tea or gunpowder tea, a type of Chinese green tea.

Black and green tea's are not okay to drink.

Herbal teas, which aren't actually teas, are okay.

The biggest part of chai tea that I can tell are various spices. So you can nab some plan ol' herbal tea, and add the spices that are typically in chai tea, and boom, you have chai tea not made out of black or green tea. :D

There is, as far as I know...only one type of tea and that the color, black, green, etc. comes from age of the leaf and perhaps some processing. Chai is traditionally made from black tea, period. A "fashionable" type may be made from green teas, but it still the same plant, and , of course, the reason is the caffiene. Had any chocolate lately? It's in there, too. Make your own decision, an informed one I hope.

There is, as far as I know...only one type of tea and that the color, black, green, etc. comes from age of the leaf and perhaps some processing. Chai is traditionally made from black tea, period. A "fashionable" type may be made from green teas, but it still the same plant, and , of course, the reason is the caffiene. Had any chocolate lately? It's in there, too. Make your own decision, an informed one I hope.

No, the reason we don't drink tea is because we've been command such by the Lord, we don't know exactly why he included tea in the Word of Wisdom. We have theories why he may have asked that of members of the Church but ultimately we don't know as he has not chosen to give us (as in the Church) the reason (beyond it not being good for us).

Or are you trying to say something else and I'm having a communications breakdown on my end?

So i am going to school and they have a jazzman's cafe, we are not supposed to drink coffee or tea, But i have started drinking this chai tea. this chai tea is supposed to be all natural and have nothing bad in it, i was wondering if i should be drinking it or not. I have searched on the net and have found nothing bad about it yet so i dont know if someone could help me out about this i would be great full.

Tea or coffee don't have anything 'bad' in them either.

ruthiechan-normal tea could be considered herbal too. It is, after all, an herb is it not?

ruthiechan-normal tea could be considered herbal too. It is, after all, an herb is it not?

Tea is not biotantically an herb. Common usage also disagrees with calling camellia sinensis infusions herbal tea (and possibly even some packaging laws).

No, the reason we don't drink tea is because we've been command such by the Lord, we don't know exactly why he included tea in the Word of Wisdom.

'Tea' isn't in the word of wisdom.

Tea is not biotantically an herb. Common usage also disagrees with calling camellia sinensis infusions herbal tea (and possibly even some packaging laws).

An herb is "[a]ny of various often aromatic plants used especially in medicine or as seasoning." Thus, tea leaves (leaves from the Camellia sinensis) would be an herb as it is used to falvour a drink.

Ironically, the word of wisdom does say the use of herbs is ordained.

'Tea' isn't in the word of wisdom.

Hot drinks are and hot drinks has been interpreted to mean tea and coffee by the Lord's Servants. Whiskey isn't mentioned in the Word of Wisdom, technically alcohol isn't mentioned in the Word of Wisdom, are you saying that somebody who says the Word of Wisdom teaches to avoid alcohol is incorrect? If so that's being more of a pedant than I personally subscribe to.

The point was that we don't avoid tea because it contains caffeine, ultimately we avoid it because we believe it to be against God's will for us to consume it, no revelation had been given to the church concerning which chemical or chemicals that are contained within tea that is the reason for the Lord having us avoid it, though theories abound.

An herb is "[a]ny of various often aromatic plants used especially in medicine or as seasoning." Thus, tea leaves (leaves from the Camellia sinensis) would be an herb as it is used to falvour a drink.

Are you saying that botanically camellia sinensis is considered an herb*? If not I'm not sure what you are objecting to, I don't recall stating there is no possible definition of the word herb past or present that could be considered to include tea. In fact my understanding is that when the Word of Wisdom was written herb was pretty much another word for plant, so in that sense its an herb, so is a coca plant and a pine tree. The footnotes for Section 89 indicate plants as that meaning as opposed to a more literal botanical meaning or plants I flavor my food or drink with meaning.

As far as common usage are you maintaining that it is common usage to refer to infusions made using camellia sinensis as herbal tea? I disagree but people use words different in different areas of the world.

Ironically, the word of wisdom does say the use of herbs is ordained

No, it says wholesome herbs are ordained for the use of man.

*My understanding of herb or herbacous plant comes from: Herbaceous plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia admittedly not the most reliable of sources, my understanding of the nature of camellia sinensis is as a small tree or shrub (more wikipedia Camellia sinensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) my understanding is that such things, trees and shrubs are not herbaceous plants. I am of course open to a botany lesson, its not exactly my forte.

Edited by Dravin

You're looking at the term 'herb' from a biological stance. 'Herb' is a polyseme, or homograph I suppose, in one instance being a specific category of plants and another meaning a form of flavouring or seasoning.

In the latter of these cases herbs are the leafy green parts of plants that are used for flavoring. While many herbs are This may sometimes contradict the botanical definition of an herb because herbs such as bearberry, bay laurel, and rosemary are trees or shrubs.

So, it appears we're both correct :D

A related note, the average age for a person named Herb is 50 :lol:

American Botanical Council

Wolfram Alpha

Alcohol isn't mentioned in the word of wisdom, you are correct. Wine and strong drink are, however, which is alluded elsewhere in scripture to mean drinks of a high alcohol content.

(who knows what 'and for mild drinks' means:) )

You're looking at the term 'herb' from a biological stance.

Yes and I stated that right out front. :)

In the latter of these cases herbs are the leafy green parts of plants that are used for flavoring. While many herbs are This may sometimes contradict the botanical definition of an herb because herbs such as bearberry, bay laurel, and rosemary are trees or shrubs.

Oh I'm aware of it as a term for seasoning. Language can be like that, all sorts of different meanings and usages. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dec2057

If you want a wonderful tea to drink that is not harmful, go to Teavana Teas: Green Tea, Oolong Tea, Black Tea, White Tea, Herbal Tea and more They have some marvelous tea that you can enjoy. Click on the button that says Herbal or Rooibos Teas

Health Benefits of Herbal Tea: Herbal teas are rich in antioxidants and vitamins, particularly Vitamin C. Typically herbal teas are also caffeine-free, so they can be enjoyed anytime during the day. Depending on the fruits, vegetables and other ingredients, they may have additional health benefits.

My favorite is Rooibos Teas.

Rooibos teas are herbal infusions made from a South African red bush and sometimes called "red tea." There are also green Rooibos teas that are just as delicious as the popular red teas. Rooibos teas are delicious iced or hot and come in a wide variety of flavors.

Health Benefits of Rooibos Tea: These naturally caffeine-free teas are extremely high in antioxidants and typically Vitamin C as well (they often contain fruit pieces). Rooibos teas may also help to relieve allergies, increase iron absorption, and aid in digestion. They also promote healthy skin, teeth, and bones and are suitable for those with a sensitive central nervous system.

The one that I love the taste of the best is a refreshing green Rooibos tea with the uplifting taste of lemongrass, tart apples, succulent cherry bits, green cardamom and pomegranate pieces.

• 3 months later...

Just some trivia FYI - Chai is the Russian word for tea

;)

It is also the Arabic word for tea ;)

Personally, I don't drink anything from the Tea plant or Coffee bean. I do drink herbal drinks, and I enjoy them very much.

Also, when it comes to such questions about the WoW.

No advice I can give is better than the talks of the apostles, the teachings of the Prophets, and the guidance of the holy spirit.

And always remember, the church authorities are the watchmen on their towers.

And the prophet is given revelation that concerns us in these latter days.