Sealings?

My Mom is divorced, still single, and she is currently fostering a little boy and wishes to adopt him. My question is can she be sealed to him if she adopts him or does she have to be married to a priesthood holder? My mom has no desire to be married again and as a family we are doing well with out a priesthood holder in our home. I know the ideal situation would for this little boy to be adopted by a family with two parents but he is a special needs child and has already been placed 7 times and he's only 5, he was deemed unadoptable by social services but he has been with us for almost a year and we're making things work. Is there no way to have him sealed to us even though my mom isn't married?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Writer_Chick1213@Mar 21 2005, 11:39 AM

My Mom is divorced, still single, and she is currently fostering a little boy and wishes to adopt him. My question is can she be sealed to him if she adopts him or does she have to be married to a priesthood holder? My mom has no desire to be married again and as a family we are doing well with out a priesthood holder in our home. I know the ideal situation would for this little boy to be adopted by a family with two parents but he is a special needs child and has already been placed 7 times and he's only 5, he was deemed unadoptable by social services but he has been with us for almost a year and we're making things work. Is there no way to have him sealed to us even though my mom isn't married?

I don't think so. It's a patriarchal system. I'm not sure, but I'd guess it's not allowed at this point in time. It's my personal belief that the "sealing power" is the love we have for our families, not some words spoken by the priesthood.

ps--your mom sounds like a wonderful woman.

Originally posted by Cal@Mar 21 2005, 10:09 PM

What kind of God would keep them apart?

Everyone will be with who they should be with ~ because God is kind ~ what will need to be done will be done through the millenium when angels and men will work together to do all the sealings of families that were otherwise unable to be sealed.

You have to remember about the work for the dead and the work that will be done during the millenium ~ it guarantees no one will be left behind or out.

Guest hwood247

Having been a single mother for 10 years I know the feeling of thinking I would never be sealed to my children, of course there is always that added feeling ( having been hurt etc) that you don't want to rely on a man for anything, however, Heavenly Father Is all knowing, he does love us and everything He says is because it IS what we need. It is necessary for your mom to be sealed in order for her to have this new child sealed to her. However...remember that Heavenly Father thinks in eternal plans, just because your mother isn't married now, doesn't mean she never will be. We are promised that if we are righteous and live in a way that is in accordance to the commandments, we will never be denied ANY of the blessings promised to us, we may just have to wait a while. All your mom has to do is love her chilren, live worthily and the rest will come.

We need to think outside of the box on this. Understanding what a sealing is important. It binds us to our children in the eternities. Every person who is born will have this work done for them. The most vile to the most angelic. The sealing power is the eternal link we have to not just family, but to God. I do not own my children because they are sealed to me. My parents do not own me because I am sealed to them. Curve, whether you believe the priesthood is necessary or not is beside the point. The priesthood is part of the sealing power and are essential to this. Sure a person can love their children and spouses, but if they did not have this work done while they were here, it will be done for them. And done in the proper way. Again the sealing is the eternal link we have to God. This link is important no matter what level we receive in the judgment.

The sealing is the one of the most important ordinances we can perform, but I think many times we misunderstand it.

Originally posted by Jenda@Mar 22 2005, 03:18 PM

What good is someone being sealed to you if one of you ends up in a different glory?

The promise is what good it is. There is a future even in Heaven. You know that an eternity is only 5 billion years or so, right? Well, there are keys given in the temple which give the power to move from one kingdom to the next as you progress ~ because there is progression even after this life, for everyone.

The punishment for those who don't do what they should according to the knowledge given them is: They will be lagging a bit behind ~ and just as your married children aren't under your roof here, (hopefully) they won't be there either ~ if you are in a higher kingdom you will be able to visit them as often as you like ~ They just won't be able to pop in on you ~ :)

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Amillia@Mar 24 2005, 12:12 AM

Well, there are keys given in the temple which give the power to move from one kingdom to the next as you progress ~ because there is progression even after this life, for everyone.

I like the thought of progression from one kingdom to the next. Unfortunately, this is most definitely contrary to LDS doctrine. In fact this idea was labeled heretical by Bruce R. McConkie in his "Seven Deadly Heresies" talk. He said:

"Heresy five: There are those who say that there is progression from one kingdom to another in the eternal worlds or that lower kingdoms eventually progress to where higher kingdoms once were.

This belief lulls men into a state of carnal security. It causes them to say,

"God is so merciful; surely he will save us all eventually; if we do not gain the celestial kingdom now, eventually we will; so why worry?"

It lets people live a life of sin here and now with the hope that they will be saved eventually.

The true doctrine is that all men will be resurrected, but they will come forth in the resurrection with different kinds of bodies-some celestial, others terrestrial, others telestial, and some with bodies incapable of standing any degree of glory. The body we receive in the resurrection determines the glory we receive in the kingdoms that are prepared.

Of those in the telestial world it is written:

"And they shall be servants of the Most High, but where God and Christ dwell they cannot come, worlds without end" (D&C 76:112).

Of those who had the opportunity to enter into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage in this life and who did not do it the revelation says:.

Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven; which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever. [D&C 132:16-17]

They neither progress from one kingdom to another, nor does a lower kingdom ever get where a higher kingdom once was. Whatever eternal progression there is, it is within a sphere."

Elder McConkie most definitely did not like the idea of unworthy people being able to eventually receive the same reward as their more worthy counterparts.

I do not like this idea of a Caste system in Heaven...I know Amillia quoted that piece from the bible about there being 'many kingdoms' in Heaven, to support the LDS claims of this...and you believe that revelation to JS or whichever president/prophet of the church, revealed all this, but it still sounds terrible to me that God, if he exists, would do this to the people who followed him as righteously as they were able to...separate families, even the idea of owning your own planet on which you are a God sounds farcical to me...who dreamt that one up? and where's the bible quotes to support it? Just sounds to me like someone had a 'superiority complex' in the early church...mental illness perhaps?

Guest bizabra

Originally posted by Fatboy@Mar 22 2005, 01:39 PM

We need to think outside of the box on this. Understanding what a sealing is important. It binds us to our children in the eternities. Every person who is born will have this work done for them. The most vile to the most angelic. The sealing power is the eternal link we have to not just family, but to God. I do not own my children because they are sealed to me. My parents do not own me because I am sealed to them. Curve, whether you believe the priesthood is necessary or not is beside the point. The priesthood is part of the sealing power and are essential to this. Sure a person can love their children and spouses, but if they did not have this work done while they were here, it will be done for them. And done in the proper way. Again the sealing is the eternal link we have to God. This link is important no matter what level we receive in the judgment.

The sealing is the one of the most important ordinances we can perform, but I think many times we misunderstand it.

Um, explain to me why a magical incantation is required to bind people to the ones they love? Esp. since this will be "done for everyone" eventually during the millenium? I mean, if it WILL be done anyway, why would God require performing a ritual?

Hm . . . .

makes no sense to me, or maybe I'm just stoned. . . . . .

Guest bizabra
Originally posted by Amillia+Mar 24 2005, 12:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Amillia @ Mar 24 2005, 12:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Mar 22 2005, 03:18 PM

What good is someone being sealed to you if one of you ends up in a different glory?

The promise is what good it is. There is a future even in Heaven. You know that an eternity is only 5 billion years or so, right? Well, there are keys given in the temple which give the power to move from one kingdom to the next as you progress ~ because there is progression even after this life, for everyone.

The punishment for those who don't do what they should according to the knowledge given them is: They will be lagging a bit behind ~ and just as your married children aren't under your roof here, (hopefully) they won't be there either ~ if you are in a higher kingdom you will be able to visit them as often as you like ~ They just won't be able to pop in on you ~ :)

How do you know an "eternity is only 5 billion years or so"?

I would really like to know what that means, anyway.

thanks in advance.

I like the thought of progression from one kingdom to the next. Unfortunately, this is most definitely contrary to LDS doctrine. In fact this idea was labeled heretical by Bruce R. McConkie in his "Seven Deadly Heresies" talk. He said:

"Heresy five: There are those who say that there is progression from one kingdom to another in the eternal worlds or that lower kingdoms eventually progress to where higher kingdoms once were.

McConkie is the heretic....most of his books was edited for over 700 false doctrines....you know he is the one who taught that the blacks were fence sitters in the pre-existent war between Satan and Christ... before they came here and therefore received the black skin...and that they would never receive the priesthood....so pooooy on Brucy....

Everyone of the first apostles and JS taught that there would be progression from one kingdom to the next....but it would be according to their desire to do so...

Sides....what good would baptism for the dead.....or teaching those in the spirit prison do.....if there were no progression after this life???

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Amillia@Mar 30 2005, 02:29 PM

Everyone of the first apostles and JS taught that there would be progression from one kingdom to the next....but it would be according to their desire to do so...

I've never heard of this, but I'd be interested in seeing some quotes. Do you have any?

Originally posted by curvette+Mar 30 2005, 06:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Mar 30 2005, 06:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Mar 30 2005, 02:29 PM

I've never heard of this, but I'd be interested in seeing some quotes. Do you have any?

Yeah, me too.

Originally posted by curvette+Mar 30 2005, 07:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Mar 30 2005, 07:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Mar 30 2005, 02:29 PM

Amillia,

I will have to say that I also strongly disagree with the notion of progressing from "kingdom to kingdom". That is a false doctrine, even if BRM agrees! LOL!

In my Gospel Essentials class I was teaching on this very thing last sunday. The manual, and everything I have ever read teaches us that the body we are resurrected with, will determine the glory we shall inherit. We do NOT know however, if there is progression "within" kingdoms of glory, but my understanding has always been that there is NO progression from Kingdom TO kingdom.

In the spirit prison we know that the spirits there can "progress". They are in a different situation...they have not yet been resurrected...so there is time there for them to progress to the extent they can.

randy

Guest bizabra

Originally posted by Amillia@Mar 30 2005, 02:29 PM

McConkie is the heretic....most of his books was edited for over 700 false doctrines....you know he is the one who taught that the blacks were fence sitters in the pre-existent war between Satan and Christ... before they came here and therefore received the black skin...and that they would never receive the priesthood....so pooooy on Brucy....

Sides....what good would baptism for the dead.....or teaching those in the spirit prison do.....if there were no progression after this life???

If McConkie is such a heretic and his teachings are false and inaccurate, why hasn't the brethren spoken up and discredited him? Hm?

Originally posted by bizabra+Mar 30 2005, 08:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bizabra @ Mar 30 2005, 08:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Mar 30 2005, 02:29 PM

If McConkie is such a heretic and his teachings are false and inaccurate, why hasn't the brethren spoken up and discredited him? Hm?

He was the son in law to President Smith at the time......

Now he is dead.....so what the heck....

I just don't allow anyone using him as their main reference.....to have any credibility.... :(

Originally posted by Randy Johnson+Mar 30 2005, 08:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Randy Johnson @ Mar 30 2005, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -curvette@Mar 30 2005, 07:05 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Mar 30 2005, 02:29 PM

Amillia,

I will have to say that I also strongly disagree with the notion of progressing from "kingdom to kingdom". That is a false doctrine, even if BRM agrees! LOL!

In my Gospel Essentials class I was teaching on this very thing last sunday. The manual, and everything I have ever read teaches us that the body we are resurrected with, will determine the glory we shall inherit. We do NOT know however, if there is progression "within" kingdoms of glory, but my understanding has always been that there is NO progression from Kingdom TO kingdom.

In the spirit prison we know that the spirits there can "progress". They are in a different situation...they have not yet been resurrected...so there is time there for them to progress to the extent they can.

randy

Sorry....but JS, BY and JT all taught them very clearly.....and they got it from God himself.... :D

Originally posted by Amillia+Mar 30 2005, 08:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Amillia @ Mar 30 2005, 08:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Randy Johnson@Mar 30 2005, 08:35 PM

Amillia,

randy

Sorry....but JS, BY and JT all taught them very clearly.....and they got it from God himself.... :D

References, please.

Originally posted by Amillia+Mar 30 2005, 09:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Amillia @ Mar 30 2005, 09:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Randy Johnson@Mar 30 2005, 08:35 PM

Amillia,

randy

Good Sister,

I hear what yer sayin..but, I have NEVER heard such a thing.

Let me see your sources so I can educate myself.

You mention JT...his GGGGrandson and his wife.... served a mission in Indep.Mo..and were assigned to our ward the entire time they were here. Coincidently, our study guide was from the teachings of John Taylor. We discussed this very doctrine, or should I say alleged doctrine...and as High Priests, all having served in Bishopric's or Stake Presidencies...all agreed that this is a false doctrine.

But again...let me see your references.

But you know what Amillia, you are still a sharp lady, very articulate and well read! I do enjoy reading your posts!! Yer just a wee bit askew on this one! LOL!

randy

Guest Taoist_Saint

I would still like to see a reference that Eternity is 5 Billion Years. If so, that is not Eternity. It also means that if you get sealed to your family for Eternity, it will end in 5 Billion years. So in the END, we will be separated from them, despite being sealed in the Temple in this life?

For the record, in my opinion, an Eternity is outside of time, and therefore the afterlife is not really "after" anything.

Or if I am LDS, my interpretation is that we live in a circular timline that goes back to the first god (Elohim's first Heavenly Ancestor)...that is, eventually a future god will create Elohim and it all starts over.

But that would sort of invalidate the "Pyramid Scheme" aspect of God's plan...because if Elohim just created billions of potential gods (humans)...and each of those that is exalted creates millions more, then eventually there will be unlimited gods...and which one would create Elohim in a circular timeline? Unless Elohim's children are not equal to him, and only one of his children becomes a "Heavenly Father"...perhaps Jesus. Then it could work.

:blink:

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint@Mar 31 2005, 10:41 AM

It also means that if you get sealed to your family for Eternity, it will end in 5 Billion years. So in the END, we will be separated from them, despite being sealed in the Temple in this life?

Yeah, but by then you'll have grown apart, and probably be bored of each other anyway. :)