Ever since highschool, I've noticed that when I wear various cross necklaces that I own (that are very precious and dear to me--and it's not the object itself that is precious, it is the message behind the symbol), I've gotten a variety of looks from those around me--I live in a very LDS area. None of the looks are pleasant. I also got some very bold comments when I was in school from "friends" wondering why I would want to wear such a thing. It would start conversations. Since it seemed to me at the time that I was offending others, and it seems to me to this day that the cross is offensive to some that I come across I wanted to ask the question: am I reading that wrong, or is the wearing of a cross offensive to members of the LDS church?

Edited by lattelady

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since highschool, I've noticed that when I wear various cross necklaces that I own (that are very precious and dear to me--and it's not the object itself that is precious, it the message behind the symbol), I've gotten a variety of looks from those around me. None of the looks are pleasant. Some are downright mean. I've also gotten bold comments when I was in school from "friends" wondering why I would want to wear such a thing. It would start conversations. Since it seemed to me at the time that I was offending others, and it seems to me to this day that the cross is offensive to some that I come across I wanted to ask the question: am I reading that wrong, or is the wearing of a cross offensive to members of the LDS church?

Have you always lived in Mormon communities while growing up???

It's not that it's offensive..at least not to me. But the reason that we, as LDS, do not usually wear jewelry etc that are of the cross is.that we would prefer to concentrate on a living Christ than his dying on the cross.

Palerider--no, I said I got unfavorable looks and it started conversations. LDS friends said, "If your father or mother died in a car accident, would you hang a miniature car charm on your necklace in remembrance of their death?" in a very exasperated tone, and I was always very confused by the thought process.

Palerider--no, I said I got unfavorable looks and it started conversations. LDS friends said, "If your father or mother died in a car accident, would you hang a miniature car charm on your necklace in remembrance of their death?" in a very exasperated tone, and I was always very confused by the thought process.

Well that is an inappropriate comparison to make. If I had a cross necklace that someone close to me gave me..I would wear it for sentimental reasons and to heck with what anyone thinks.

I am surprised they never gave you an answer.

Guest Believer_1829

or

"If someone killed your brother with a gun, would you wear a gun pendant around your neck?"

Beefche, if you wore the cross that you want to purchase, would your LDS friends question you about it? Would they dislike you wearing it?

Yeah, they probably would question me about it. But they wouldn't dislike me for that...other reasons, maybe, but not wearing a cross.

Mmm, now I wonder if my non-LDS friends would say anything. <shrug>

I wouldn't wear it as a symbol of my faith, though. I would wear it because I like the design. I like Celtic crosses as well, for their design.

I just believe the thought process is flawed; when it comes right down to it, no one TOOK Jesus life--He willingly gave it. So... He wasn't murdered with a gun. And he didn't die in a cross accident. He gave His life, as part of God's PLAN, for my sin. And I seek to remember that sacrifice and I LOVE what He did for me and the love He has for me. To keep that ever-before me is a wonderful reminder, because the cross is empty. He's not still hanging there (I don't wear a crucifix with a Christ still hanging there, because He's RISEN!!)--He lives, for me. for you.

I just believe the thought process is flawed; when it comes right down to it, no one TOOK Jesus life--He willingly gave it. So... He wasn't murdered with a gun. And he didn't die in a cross accident. He gave His life, as part of God's PLAN, for my sin. And I seek to remember that sacrifice and I LOVE what He did for me and the love He has for me. To keep that ever-before me is a wonderful reminder, because the cross is empty. He's not still hanging there (I don't wear a crucifix with a Christ still hanging there, because He's RISEN!!)--He lives, for me. for you.

I agree with what you said...except...I want a picture of Christ and that helps me remember he gave his life for me and for you.

I live in Salt Lake County and have known many people who wear crosses, both as pendants and as earrings. In all of my conversations with them they have never talked about being given unpleasant looks for it. None of them have ever seemed bothered by the kinds of things you say happen to you. To me it's a universally recognized sign of Mainstream Christian belief and not offensive at all. Sometimes they will ask why LDS don't wear the cross, and the answer I give is that we prefer to remember the living Christ and His atonement for our sins.

John Doe, I imagine Salt Lake County is a bit more diverse than the small-town area of Utah I grew up in and now live in as an adult. Believe me, people wearing crosses here are few and far between. I'm glad the people you've talked with haven't been treated with unpleasant behavior.

Edited by lattelady

I think that if we really want to be counted among religions as truly being Christian, we should shake off those unfounded accusations against the symbol of the cross ( you know, like it being only a reminder of Christ's execution and representing a dead Christ) and acknowledge that the Cross has indeed become the universal symbol of Christianity.

:)

This is a very common defensive reaction by many Mormons. I say defensive because Mormons are often accused of not worshiping Jesus Christ because we do not use the cross in our architecture. So, there is a justification for not using it, and I think that justification is true. You do not need to have a cross to worship Jesus Christ.

But, there is no discussion whatsoever by the leadership of the church on wearing crosses or having them in your home. None whatsoever.

I think that if we really want to be counted among religions as truly being Christian, we should shake off those unfounded accusations against the symbol of the cross ( you know, like it being only a reminder of Christ's execution and representing a dead Christ) and acknowledge that the Cross has indeed become the universal symbol of Christianity.

But isn't that like saying...let's do it because everyone else is doing it?"