Devil

sjdean

I woke up this morning feeling rather in despair.

I was looking for something yesterday that might explain that weird crashing, banging, whooshing noise followed by the whisper "I can see you". This accompanied by intense fear and dread.

Im fully awake and can move, I have full cognitive function, so when I prayed to Jesus and everything went quiet and calm, I used that as a confirming factor in my belief.

But obviously people are going to mention Exploding Head Syndrome and Hypnogogia... Let them. Exploding Head Syndrom is a waffly condition that shows every sound under the book, in any age generation, at any time of the day. Hyponogogia seems mainly to affect those who are just crossing the threshold to sleep, not to those who are awaking.

But ... the real thing ... I woke up this morning really depressed.

I was thinking, how can I be sure of my faith? I mean, the things I've said so far, could be explained by other things, then what do I have for my faith? Nothing! Faith is just faith. How can I have faith in faith and I started doubting and doubting.

But then I thought, well, I only have to think about Christ and I get lots of joy, I love Church, my faith might be weak but I have it. What if the Devil is making me doubt?

So I prayed again to Christ, at which point, I let out a sigh and everything became calm and joyous again.

Has anybody had anything like that, feelings just change from one thing to another in a flash? Feel really depressed one minute as if that's it, that's the end of my faith, then a quick pray, confirm yourself to Christ ask for his help, and bang, you're back!

Has anybody had anything like that, feelings just change from one thing to another in a flash? Feel really depressed one minute as if that's it, that's the end of my faith, then a quick pray, confirm yourself to Christ ask for his help, and bang, you're back!

It happened to Joseph Smith, didn't it? ;)

I woke up this morning feeling rather in despair.

I was looking for something yesterday that might explain that weird crashing, banging, whooshing noise followed by the whisper "I can see you". This accompanied by intense fear and dread.

Im fully awake and can move, I have full cognitive function, so when I prayed to Jesus and everything went quiet and calm, I used that as a confirming factor in my belief.

But obviously people are going to mention Exploding Head Syndrome and Hypnogogia... Let them. Exploding Head Syndrom is a waffly condition that shows every sound under the book, in any age generation, at any time of the day. Hyponogogia seems mainly to affect those who are just crossing the threshold to sleep, not to those who are awaking.

But ... the real thing ... I woke up this morning really depressed.

I was thinking, how can I be sure of my faith? I mean, the things I've said so far, could be explained by other things, then what do I have for my faith? Nothing! Faith is just faith. How can I have faith in faith and I started doubting and doubting.

But then I thought, well, I only have to think about Christ and I get lots of joy, I love Church, my faith might be weak but I have it. What if the Devil is making me doubt?

So I prayed again to Christ, at which point, I let out a sigh and everything became calm and joyous again.

It is the adversary trying to prevent an event...I suspect there is something important - spiritually- which is coming soon for you. If not, why would the adversary bother you? ^_^

I know you are going to hate this, but actually, you are right Hypnogogia affects people who are falling asleep, but Hypnopompic hallucinations are the ones that affect people when they first wake up. I suffer from both. I see huge spiders, voices, and I have even seen people in the middle of my room and feel like people are watching me. One time, I woke up to see my husband leaning over me, but he did not have a face. They can be scary at time, and very real! But remember they are not, and they can not hurt you. I really don't think it's Satan or the Devil, many experiences with "demons" can be linked to Hypnogogia, Sleep Paralysis and Narcolepsy. When I first experienced it, I felt the same as you, scared and confused, depressed. I felt there was some thing seriously wrong with me, doesn't held that my mother believed I was possessed by Satan. but I did some research and found that Hypnogogia is more common than we think. If you still are worried about it, see a doctor. It's good that you prayed, that can certainly calm you down. But thanks for freaking me out! I'm going to have some nightmares tonight since I'm home alone. xD

Here is a great resource:

Hypnagogic hallucinations

Edited by Threeve

In terms of Hypnogogia, and I do thank you for your input, unfortunately many of the websites I read with relation to sleep disturbances are all over the shop. There's even one called exploding head syndrome which can apparently account for any noise at any time of the day whether sleeping or awake.

Good.

Glad that one was sorted. At times like that, I kind of have to laugh at science trying to make rational the irrational.

Now I know you might think Im crazy, but I really can tell the difference between an hallucination and something else. That's why I give the story about being in hospital. I know if its a dream despite it being so incredibly real. I know I've heard door bells ringing in my sleep, but I put that down to hallucination.

But what I had was something else. Something else completely. I know it wasn't sleep paralysis because I could move, I was concious when this thing happened to me, and I remember scrunching my eyes tight and clasping my hands together and muttering a prayer to Christ. A lot of people who have these sleep paralysis episodes I understand literally can't move, feel unable to breath let alone scream out or pray.

I usually understand these hypnogogia episodes usually happen when you're a little bit further into sleep and haven't just got into bed two minutes prior.

At the time, I used to have a few of those experiences, once I even slept face down and had a dream that I was posessed by the devil. It wasn't until I quite literally, I turned to Christ that all of this suddenly stopped.

Thanks for your message Hemi... I've often been thinking for 10 years whether Im to do something esle with my life and felt a pull towards spiriualism. Just wish it was LDS that I had been brought to as that is what I was yearning for. But alas, I've been brought to the Church of England (and I feel wonderful).

Thanks

Simon

• 1 year later...

Sjdean,

Having quite a lot of personal experience in what you're speaking of, I too can say I can tell the difference between a hallucination and 'something else'. I understand that this response is a good year and a half later but I personally recommend you pick up the book by Steven A. Cramer titled "Putting on the Armor of God: How to win your battles with satan".

It will help.