August 12, 1831 - D&C 61 was received

Hemidakota

August 12, 1831— McIlwaine's Bend, Missouri River. After Brother William W. Phelps saw the destroyer riding on the face of the river in an open vision by daylight, Joseph Smith received D&C 61, a revelation concerning Satan's power over the waters. (History of the Church, 1:203–5)

Place: McIlwaine's Bend, Missouri River, Missouri

Posted Image

Publication: Section 61 was first published in the Evening and Morning Star (December 1832) and was included as chapter 62 in the Book of Commandments in 1833

Historical Setting: After leaving Independence, Missouri, on 9 August 1831, the Prophet and his party traveled down the Missouri River to Fort Osage, where they spent the first night. Two days later (11 August) an accident occurred: The canoe in which the Prophet and Sidney Rigdon were riding ran into a tree lodged and bobbing in the river. The canoe was upset, and the occupants almost drowned. With this near tragedy, the party of eleven decided to land and encamp at a place called McIlwaine's Bend, some 100 miles from Independence. The location of McIlwaine's Bend is near present-day Miami, Saline County, Missouri (see map).

Section 61, which was received the following morning (12 August), while the party still were at McIlwaine's Bend, warned of the dangers of traveling on water. The revelation instructed Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, and Oliver Cowdery to leave the water route and travel by land to Cincinnati, Ohio, where they were to "open their mouths" in preaching the gospel. William W. Phelps and Sidney Gilbert, who were returning to prepare to move to Missouri, were to continue in haste, while the remainder of the elders were to preach along the way.

After receiving the revelation at McIlwaine's Bend, Reynolds Cahoon wrote that the eleven men "then left the water [and] crosed the Misorie at Chariton." Sidney Gilbert, also traveling east with the group, prefaced a copy of section 61 with the words:

"A Commandment recd the 12th Augt 1831 on the Banks of the Missouri about 40 miles above Chariton on our return from Zion."

These references, seen together, assist greatly in locating McIlwaine's Bend, and suggest that the group left the Missouri River at or near the Miami Bend [McIlwaine's Bend], traveled several miles cross-country on the south side of the river, and then crossed the river and entered Chariton, Missouri.

Joseph Fielding Smith - The next morning, after prayer the prophet received a revelation in which the elders received counsel in regard to their travels on the waters. The Lord declared that their sins were forgiven them and that he is merciful to those who confess their sins and will be humble. It was stated that it was not needful for the entire company to travel by water while people on both sides of the river were perishing for want of the Gospel. Then the Lord points out that there are many dangers upon the waters, and more especially upon these waters many of which were to come hereafter. (CHMR, 1947, 1:206)

Joseph Smith - "On the 9th [of August, 1831], in company with ten Elders, I left Independence landing for Kirtland. We started down the river in canoes, and went the first day as far as Fort Osage, where we had an excellent wild turkey for supper. Nothing very important occurred till the third day, when many of the dangers so common upon the western waters, manifested themselves; and after we had encamped upon the bank of the river, at McIlwaine's Bend, Brother Phelps, in open vision by daylight, saw the destroyer in his most horrible power, ride upon the face of the waters; others heard the noise, but saw not the vision.

"The next morning after prayer, I received the following: [D&C 61.]" (Joseph Smith, HC 1:202-3.)

Background Narration:

Steven C. Harper

In Doctrine and Covenants 61 the Lord forgives the elders their sins; he continues to mercifully forgive the sins of all who humbly confess them. He tells the men it is no longer needful for the entire group to travel quickly down the river, for there are settlers on either side of it who need to be taught the gospel. The Lord has let the elders experience the river's terrors so they can testify of the "many dangers upon the waters" (v. 4) to others. In his anger, the Lord decreed "many destructions upon the waters" (v. 5), especially the Missouri River, but all flesh is in his hands, and he will preserve the faithful among this group of elders from drowning. The Lord has kept the group together this long so that they could be corrected, purified from their sins, and unified as a group, thus escaping punishment for their wickedness. The Lord commands them now to split up.

The Lord assigns Sidney Gilbert and William Phelps to travel on the river, so they can quickly accomplish the tasks he has assigned them by revelation (see D&C 55–56). If they remain faithful, the Lord promises they will overcome any problems that traveling on the Missouri River might cause. Sidney Gilbert is commanded to give the other elders enough money to buy necessary clothing and to take the rest of the Lord's money with him to Ohio. The Lord commands them to travel in these ways for their own good. He explains that he blessed the waters during the Creation but later cursed them through the apostle John (see Revelation 8:8–11). The day will come when only the honest-hearted will safely travel to Zion by water, and the Lord commands the elders to warn the other Saints not to travel on the dangerous Missouri without faith. After the Fall the Lord cursed the land for Adam's sake, but in the latter days he blessed it to be fertile for the Saints' sake. The Lord has determined that the destroyer cover the water, and He has not changed his mind. He was angry with the elders the day they nearly drowned, but his anger is turned away. He reminds Sidney Gilbert and William Phelps to get back quickly to Ohio. It does not matter whether they go by land or by water as long as they fulfill their assignments. They can judge for themselves the best way to travel. As for Joseph, Sidney Rigdon, and Oliver Cowdery, they are to stay off the rivers unless using the extensive, and comparatively safe, canal system. The Lord appointed the canals and overland travel as the best way for Saints migrating from the East to get to Zion in Missouri. This commandment is for all the Saints, though the Lord allows Joseph, and perhaps others, power to command the water. They are given the liberty to follow the Spirit in deciding how to travel.

The Lord tells Joseph, Sidney, and Oliver not to preach to the unrepentant until reaching Cincinnati. There they are to preach repentance to the people the Lord is angry with. They are wicked, "well-nigh ripened for destruction" (D&C 61:31). From Cincinnati, Joseph, Sidney, and Oliver are to return to the Saints in northeastern Ohio where they are sorely needed. The other elders present are commanded to preach the gospel to the unrepentant. If they will do so, they will not be accountable for the sins of the wicked on Judgment Day (see Jacob 1:19). He assigns them to go as companionships of their own choosing, specifying only that Reynolds Cahoon and Samuel Smith, with whom the Lord was well pleased, stay together all the way home. This pairing was "for a wise purpose in me," the Lord says (D&C 61:35). He tells Joseph, and by extension all the elders, to be cheerful, for He is with him. He affectionately calls them "little children," suggesting both immaturity and potential (v. 36). He has not forsaken them. If they will choose to be humble, he will bless them with his kingdom. "Pray always," the revelation concludes, "that you enter not into temptation, that you may abide the day of his coming, whether in life or in death" (v. 39). (Making Sense of the Doctrine and Covenants by Steven C. Harper)

Section Header Notes: Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, on the bank of the Missouri River, McIlwaine’s Bend, 12 August 1831 (see History of the Church, 1:202–5). On their return trip to Kirtland, the Prophet and ten elders had traveled down the Missouri River in canoes. On the third day of the journey, many dangers were experienced. Elder William W. Phelps, in a daylight vision, saw the destroyer riding in power upon the face of the waters.

1–12, The Lord has decreed many destructions upon the waters; 13–22, The waters were cursed by John, and the destroyer rides upon their face; 23–29, Some have power to command the waters; 30–35, Elders are to journey two by two and preach the gospel; 36–39, They are to prepare for the coming of the Son of Man.

Versus amount: 39

Suggested link: 60, 62

Summary: (Though, I do not agree with this statement, knowing Satan does not have any power over any element, or, the elements do not honor Satan in any way. Neither did Joseph Smith ever give any allusion that Satan was indeed the destroyer. He simply gave the name as “destroyer” and nothing else.

Even John stated in his vision (see the Book of Revelation) that an angel under the direction of the four destroyers (GOD’s representatives) rule over the waters. It was the same John who cursed the waters for the last days. This is very significant for our days to come in order to protect the Americas from foreign invaders (AntiChrist league of nations) when we will shall be weak. As stated in verse 14:

I cursed the waters.] The reference here may be to passages in the book of Revelation written by the apostle John (see Revelation 8:8–11; 16:2–6), or perhaps to an event in the ministry of John not otherwise recorded in scripture.

Now, if I am passionate about this, it is due to “personal knowledge” than what the brethren may be assuming as Satan. But, take it with a grain of salt of matter of opinions from various scholars and leadership - Hemidakota)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Satan has certain powers over the elements. It is not wise to deliberately place one's self in a position where Lucifer's power can prevail over the individual. The faithful saints are assured of the Lord's prevailing power and of his protection.

The Lord reigns. He will protect and provide for His faithful saints. (Sacred Truths of the Doctrine and Covenants , vol. 1 by L. G. Otten, C. M. Caldwell, p.300)

Other Notes:

1] William Phelps carried out the commandment in this revelation to tell all the Saints about the dangers of traveling to Zion on the Missouri River. He published Doctrine and Covenants 61 in the Church's newspaper, The Evening and the Morning Star, along with an editorial listing the most notable "risks and dangers." First, there were frequent disasters on the river. Second, there was cholera, a devastating water-borne illness "which the Lord has sent into the world, and which may, without repentance, ravage the large towns near the waters, many years, or, at least, till other judgments come." William Phelps, "The Way of Journeying for the Saints of the Church of Christ," The Evening and the Morning Star, December 1832, 52–53.

"I, in company with Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery and others started by water for Ohio, but being cautioned in a Revelation given at, McElwains bend, that Missouri River was cursed, all the company save myself and brother Gilbert left the river and proceeded by land. I was assured by revelation, to be safe by land or water." "Short History of WW Phelps' Stay in Missouri," Church History Library, Salt Lake City

2] "the destroyer rideth upon the face" of the waters

"These brethren while encamped at McIlwaine's Bend on the Missouri, beheld the power of the destroyer as he rode upon the storm. One of that number saw him in all his fearful majesty, and the Lord revealed to the entire group something of the power of this evil personage. It may seem strange to us, but it is the fact that Satan exercises dominion and has some control over the elements. . . . Paul speaks of Satan as the 'prince of the power of the air.' (Eph. 2:2.) The Lord revealed to these brethren some of the power of the adversary of mankind and how he rides upon the storm, as a means of affording them protection. They were commanded to use judgment as they traveled upon these waters, and the saints coming to Zion were instructed to travel by land on their way up to Zion. Moreover, notwithstanding the great power of Satan upon the waters, the Lord still held command and he could protect his people whether on land or by water as they journeyed." (Joseph Fielding Smith, CHMR 1:224-25.)

"On the 8th of August, 1831, the Lord in a Revelation (Sec. 60) directed the Prophet Joseph and his companions to return to Kirtland by way of St. Louis. The following day the Prophet, in company with ten Elders, left Independence in canoes and proceeded down the river. The journey was uneventful, until the third day, when the dangers of river-navigation became manifest. The travelers had landed at McIlwair's, or McIlwaine's, Bend, where they encamped on the bank of the river. While here William W. Phelps had a vision in which he saw 'the destroyer' riding upon the face of the waters. Some of the Elders heard a noise, though they did not see anything. The 'destroyer' seen by William W. Phelps in a vision, was, in all probability, the Evil One himself." (Smith and Sjodahl, DCC, p. 367.)

Edited by Hemidakota

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Problems of Revelation proportion congruency by dating at 30 years to civil war 1861 and with Truman at 11 days on the 12th following April 1st where May Flowers follow the decisions...

Evidence of the Missouri River mention of the ensignia... of the Blessings and curses.

There is a time for war is written.

2060 was Newton ... + 1 = 2061 = 200 + 1861?

Or, 2060 - 40 = 2020?

What if he was off by 1 year and 40?

1831 William Phelps + 200 = 2031 - 10 elders mentioned /// Revelation waters coming...

2021 - 7 tribulation and Great tribulation...

1948 + 61 = 2009 + 3...

Where 3 + 7 = 10 elders

~ 1 1/2 for Babylonian revolt during the time of Xerxes I.

This sacrilege led the Babylonians to rebel in 484 BC and 482 BC, so that in contemporary Babylonian documents, Xerxes refused his father's title of King of Babylon, being named rather as King of Persia and Media, Great King, King of Kings (Shahanshah) and King of Nations (i.e. of the world).

Edited by cyber

Problems of Revelation proportion congruency by dating at 30 years to civil war 1861 and with Truman at 11 days on the 12th following April 1st where May Flowers follow the decisions...

Evidence of the Missouri River mention of the ensignia... of the Blessings and curses.

There is a time for war is written.

huh? :confused:

• 3 years later...
Guest Richarddren
Hidden

"One of the last times I was ever able to go out with her was for one of my readings," Leleux said in a recent phone interview from New York City. hermes handbags Given the airline's reputation for offering lowcost fares, city leaders said it will be interesting to see how competing airlines respond in what's been deemed the "Southwest effect." spyder ski We received soooo many good ideas and submissions for InvestNebraska's first pitch session! So many, that it made it very difficult to narrow them down. Hope to see you there. burberry outlet store Not sure if you have vision insurance, but if you do, most plans cover an annual eye exam anywhere regardless of the actual cost from the doc. Some plans have limits though. I was really surprised at the quality from coastal contacts!! burberry sale This time it wasn't. White wanted the part if he didn't have to cancel a show. Thornton agreed. Karen Millen Outlet "People who meet Kate warm to her," he told CNN. "She has a winning smile and easy charm. Yes, she has a long way to go, and is not the new Princess Diana as many in the media are hoping for. http://www.auvergne-alu.fr/upload/bandeau/pas+cher+nike.htm Wanting to keep the banners and trophies up, is an "admirable position," said Garossino. But in his experience, "with all of the schools we've closed, it usually gets boxed up and put into archives." spyder jackets "As I dropped off food here, I noticed this place is a dump inside," Goodwin said. hermes handbags outlet Asad Abbas, a labourer, tried to treat the disease, spread by droplets from the nose or mouth of infected people, with traditional methods and sought proper medical treatment only just in time. spyder outlet TC did you have comparable charts for Net profit margins (after overhead and such)? Those gross margins only reflect the unit cost to actually build the car (labor, materials, purchased parts, etc.) at the factory. But it does not include the product development costs, engineering and management overhead, and so forth. I believe we have a tendency to view Ford from the perspective of the Retail Investor with little emphasis on how and why Institutional Investors evaluate the stock and it future stock price. After the 2008 crash a large percentage of Retail Investors abandoned the market vowing never to go back, and while some have returned, perhaps through their 401k(s) or contributory pension plans, the Institutions have never been more dominant. Once F is evaluated more from the Institutional perspective we can gain a better understanding of how and why F can become more attractive to the Retail Investor. spyder ski Every spring, refiners suspend operations to switch the type of gasoline they make. Supplies of wintertime gas are sold off before March, when refineries need to start making a new formula of gasoline that required in the summer. Karen Millen coats "But only if the principles remain: one, our community needs a civic centre and, number two, a civic centre should be located in the best location and not a particular location.TownePlace Suites Anaheim Maingate Near Angel Stadium spyder coats Thermofoils are available in multiple colors and realisticlooking woodgrain finishes in traditional or contemporary styles. burberry outlet online "This car is a 'driver' and I go to two or three car shows or cruises a month. I enjoy showing it and the interaction with other car people," Kissinger said. "This car has a 289 V8 engine with auto transmission and it is painted pearl white with black interior." spyder outlet Batman was found at the Choo Choo but the girl who found him gave him to a coworker. The coworker took him home and put him in her fence and he got out again so now he's loose in the East Brainerd/Igou Gap Rd area. I'm trying to find out if this newest information is accurate and which area of Igou Gap he might be in but the Choo Choo is not cooperating with me at all. It's like it's all a big secret as to a more defined area where I can concentrate my search. If you have seen him, please pick him up and either take him to McKamey's or hold him for me and call me. Don't just put him in the backyard. He will escape again. Thank you.WDRC Cancels Dan Lovallo Show spyder jackets outlet "The province should step up and give their people some help."

Chaussures NIKE ?????????7???? - جمعية عبد السلام الميلادي للاعمال ا

http://www.partonaragro.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=61&func=view&catid=8&id=1980〈=fa#1980

http://web2.teslamotors.com/spam/denied

Login

Doudoune Moncler Femmes ã“ã‚Œã¯æœ¬å½“ã®ã“ã¨ãŒã§ãã¾ã™ | Parco Regionale Corno alle Scale

Âõîä

Cetreria.com • Ver Tema - CONSEGUIDO! La Cetrería Patrimonio de la UNESCO

Fun & Fix Forum Welcomes new members and guests • View forum - cooking with the nackered chef

Nike Blazer Femme ????ANDN????1978?6?7? - TrickLife Forums

Teste 1 | blog.jailson.net

Guest Richarddren
Hidden

It is intended to foster growth and brighten Long Island City while protecting the lightmanufacturing industry that has characterized the area for more than a century, he said. Karen Millen The competition will be hosted by Canadian Olympic skeleton gold medaLlist Jon Montgomery. spyder jackets outlet AIDS charity The Sussex Beacon is selling dozens of items of clothing donated by the musician, famed for his extravagant outfits and spending habits, and his partner David Furnish. Karen Millen sale Stress can lead to drinking alcohol and eating unhealthy food. The following said they reach for alcohol when stressed: 37 percent of millennials, 23 percent of Generation X and 16 percent of boomers. The following said they snack on unhealthy food when dealing with stress: 51 percent of millennials, 48 percent of Generation X and 36 percent of baby boomers.but not nasty spyder outlet "It would be a mistake to assume that the oil price euphoria of 20072008 will not, at some point, be followed by a longterm adjustment similar to the 1980s oil price collapse," Amy Myers Jaffe, executive director of energy and sustainability at University of California, Davis, wrote in a blog post earlier this month. Karen Millen Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects. Chaussures Nike Blazer Homme France, Pas Cher Nike Blazer Bolton has been especially impressed with Latour TriLight shades. It s a honeycomb on the bottom and a sheer pleated shade on the top, so it has a cool look and it s not really expensive, she said. spyder jackets store Last year was the first time the car show put on the competition to have a poster submitted by a local artist and Susan Urquhart media coordinator for the competition, hopes to see an increase from the five submissions received in the inaugural year. spyder ski Darlington Borough Council is switching its refuse collections to a wheelie bin service from June, in a move expected to cost about 1m to set up and hundreds of thousands of pounds each year to run. spyder jackets outlet For instance, in 2003 the price of natural gas was $5.40 per million British thermal units, while oil was $4.42. This year, natural gas is at $5.14 while oil is up to $17.15, according to IntercontinentalExchange, a markets operator. Karen Millen Until now, Williams says, it has been more profitable for restaurants to serve cheap food laden with the fat and sugar that diners crave. The goal of REAL Certified, he says, "is to create a virtuous circle. Our program encourages people that are doing the right things and puts pressure on those who aren spyder ski On March 11 the officer saw a man driving a Chevrolet make a Uturn at a place that was marked no Uturns. He pulled the driver over. spyder ski jackets expect further gains in that percentage by creating other efficiencies in the operation, Smith says. eventual goal is to be completely oil free. Whether or not we ever achieve that, I don't know. We're going to get as close as we possibly can. Herz is the craft beer program director with the industry group Brewers Association. She says it not unusual for small breweries to reuse materials as much as possible. In fact, Herz says it ingrained in the business model of craft beer. burberry DoolyMacon NewsDooly Youth Football Camp This WeekendBlood Drive in Macon County Dooly County Schools Back in SessionPlans For Paula Deen Museum UnderwayFour Arrested for Giving Midstate Inmates Contraband spyder outlet "Younger people and those who travel regularly are getting used to all the extra charges and ways you can get caught out but it's a real shame for older people and those who don't travel that often who have saved hard for their holiday to be ripped off in this way." spyder ski 2. Make concrete, winnable goals

nike pas cher 使用ã§ãã‚‹aunched - TrickLife Forums

میکرو بلاگ دلگشا - به شبکه اجتماعی "دلگــشا" خوش آمدید

http://shoespinas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

http://www.phtask.com/new-topic.html

UGG 5815 agwood一緒ã«å¾…㤠| Parco Regionale Corno alle Scale

Cetreria.com • Ver Tema - CONSEGUIDO! La Cetrería Patrimonio de la UNESCO

ICC • View forum - Your first forum

Login

TOF • View topic - pas cher nike ä¼çµ±çš„ãªè¡£è£…

Rocking Rackets Forum • View forum - Português