LDS Baby Names

marshac

So a lot of people name their kids after GAs, Prophets, or people found in the scriptures. Some names are pretty good while others.... well... let's just say they don't roll off the tongue.

In an effort to compile a list of names that I should NOT name my next child, I felt the forum could help me out. Here's an example of such a name

Anti-Nephi-Lehi

It's not only a confusing name for new BOM readers, but is also too long for casual conversation- even a potentially shortened version of "ANL" if yelled across the school-yard playground might raise a few eyebrows. So, this name is not on my list. Dallin is, but Anti-Nephi-Lehi is not.

- Taylor. I despise that overused name.

- Any biblical or BoM names (yea, I grew up with Lehi and Nephi, poor examples for their namesakes)

- Stay away from Saturday Warriors in any language (knew a nice kid with that as a middle name in some Polynesian language. Felt bad for him)

- And don't be like the New Zealander's and name your daughter Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii

We named one of our girls after mamma's grandma who practically raised her. It's unique and modern enough with a built in nick-name that my daughter absolutely LOVES her name. Matter of fact, all my kids really like their names.

Mamma wanted to name our boy after me and I said "absolutely not, we're not going to have a son being called junior." So my name is his middle name. Now when mamma get's mad, she just calls out his name and she get's both male's in one screaming shot.

- Any biblical or BoM names (yea, I grew up with Lehi and Nephi, poor examples for their namesakes)

Leah? Rachel? Anna? David? James? Peter? Paul? Aaron? Andrew? Benjamin? Jacob? Caleb? Joseph? John? Jared? Seth?

Uncommon Book of Mormon names I can understand but the Bible names are drawn from a common cultural heritage, at least in the US, and aren't really strange. Or do you just find them overused? Of course I'd rather run into 1000 Johns then some poor child saddled with his parent's attempt to be unique and name him Xylonander.

You just don't like me sometimes, don't you :rolleyes:

No, I'm just curious as I'm not sure if you meant to imply uncommon biblical names or if you really meant any/all biblical names. While some people feel like they want something 'fresher' than a biblical name, the common ones are rarely termed weird or unwieldy. Some of the less common biblical names can qualify though, for example Aminadab would probably raise eyebrows.

So a lot of people name their kids after GAs, Prophets, or people found in the scriptures. Some names are pretty good while others.... well... let's just say they don't roll off the tongue.

In an effort to compile a list of names that I should NOT name my next child, I felt the forum could help me out. Here's an example of such a name

Anti-Nephi-Lehi

It's not only a confusing name for new BOM readers, but is also too long for casual conversation- even a potentially shortened version of "ANL" if yelled across the school-yard playground might raise a few eyebrows. So, this name is not on my list. Dallin is, but Anti-Nephi-Lehi is not.

How about Moron or Nimrod? :P

Moriancumr is a good one or go for the full thing- Mohonri Moriancumr (dunno if that was supposed to be a single name or two names...)

Moron, I?

If a girl, don't call her Rechab the Harlot. It is long and won't give her many job options in the future. Oh, and if a boy, don't call him it, either.

Maher-shalal-hashbaz on the other hand.....

you need a "the third" in there.

I know a young woman named Liahona, she goes by 'Lia', can you blame her?

No, I can see it now (at least in LDS circles):

1. Liahona, you're such a ball.

2. Dang girl, you are of curious workmanship aren't you?

3. She's a nice girl but a little spindly.

4. I hope her employer has faith and diligence.

I know so many Jaroms I don't think of it.

As for some of those oldish family names... don't mind them, either. You wouldn't believe the "old fashioned" names that are coming back into vogue.

Friend of a friend was LDS, but parents weren't particularly active. Even so, they wanted to give her a nice BoM name. They named her Ether (with a nice short e sound)

A friend of mine on Fb named her son Moroni. :gnash:

I don't mind some biblical names but they're not for us and we won't be naming our child after any of them :]

We used to have a moderator whose first name was Moroni.

My husband's niece is named Zarahemla. Her younger brother was supposed to be called Samuel Adam... until my husband told his sister-in-law it's too close to Samuel Adams, to which she replied - what's wrong with Samuel Adams? She doesn't know her beers, I guess. :D

Guest tbaird22

i want to name my sons names that start with J so their initials will be JB and they will have the same initials as:

James Bond

Jack Bauer

Jason Bourne

Unless theyre twins.. then fred and george ;)

My wife wants to do the Book of Mormon thing for the middle names of our sons (should we have any).

So far, we've dodged the issue by having girls.

What no girls with the middle name of Abish or Sariah?

Edit:

For what it's worth I picture you being married to Just_A_Gal and your girls being Just_A_Daughter and Just_Another_Daughter.

Edited by Dravin

i want to name my sons names that start with J so their initials will be JB and they will have the same initials as:

James Bond

Jack Bauer

Jason Bourne

Unless theyre twins.. then fred and george ;)

When I found out I was having twin boys..my dad suggested Pete and Repeat.