The Family Of Jesus

boyando

I was just watching a documentry called "the family of Jesus". It was suposed to have shocking information, like Jesus had step brothers and sisters. Also that the apostle James could have been his step brother. No shock for me, but it did remind me of a book I read a couple of years ago called "from whence they come".

The premise of the book is that the lost tribes may have gone to England and northern Europe. I lent the book to a friend and can't qoute from it, but one of the side notes of the book was that Joseph of Arimathaea (the one who provided the tomb) was most likely the Uncle of Mary, the mother of Jesus.

It is the authors premise that this Joseph was a tin trader who traveled to mines in England. Over the years I have heard friends ask what did Jesus do in between the time he was found at the temple and when he went on his forty day fast, before he started his ministry. The author of the book states that the young Jesus "may" have lived in England with his great uncles family. He states that there is a village in England that has a small cottage that the villagers claim was once the home of Jesus.

I have no way to prove or disprove any of the hypothiscies in this book but find it a interesting topic.

:idea: Allmosthumble

Guest ApostleKnight

I have no way to prove or disprove any of the hypothiscies in this book but find it a interesting topic.

Man, if that were true, Jesus would be one of the best-traveled men of his day. From Egypt to Israel to England...wow. I don't think Jesus traveled there, however, I can't prove it either. :)

Guest Monica

GRRR these so called documentaries usually make up things that arent biblical. The so called experts on the subject are usually skepticle about the bible being true and try to diminish bible truths. The bible is very clear as to where Jesus was in the so called lost years, in Nazareth.

Mat 2:19 But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, 20 Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's life. 21 And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel. 22 But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee: 23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

Luk 2:41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover. 42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.

Luk 2:51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Now as for Jesus having brothers and sisters, He did.

Mat 13:55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? 56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this [man] all these things?

Monica, Monica, Monica ~ enlighten your mind ~ just because it isn't in the Bible, or the BofM, or the rest of the Standard Works ~ doesn't mean that what has been written isn't the truth.

There was vastly more to the world than just Jeruselem, Isreal, Nazareth, etc. Did you think that was all there was to Earth?? There were more things written than just the Bible, or scriptural works also.

The rest of the world was populated, they had their scholars, priests, teachers, etc. There were great and wise writers from all parts of the Earth before Christ was born, and during His years on earth and certainly afterwards too. Where did the Wise Men come from? They traveled years to see the Christ Child. Not all of them were there the month Christ was born.

<div class='quotemain'>

Man, if that were true, Jesus would be one of the best-traveled men of his day. From Egypt to Israel to England...wow. I don't think Jesus traveled there, however, I can't prove it either. :)

The book did point out that the tin that was used in the Temple at Jerusalem, came from England. And many believe that Mary was exiled and left to die out sea, some were around Cypress. She made it to shore and was allso taken to England. I'm not saying it's true - my jury is still deliberating. B)

This is awesome!

Dan Brown eat your heart out!

The Englishman in me is bursting at the seams as in my mind I remember the classic lines: "And did those feet in ancient times walk upon Englands pleasant plastures green".

But then again let us not close our minds, I think I need to look deeper into this, thanks for posting this one

Bob

This is awesome!

The Englishman in me is bursting at the seams as in my mind I remember the classic lines: "And did those feet in ancient times walk upon Englands pleasant plastures green".

Bob

Part of me hopes that what the book says is true, just because part of my family is from England.

Of course that may just be part of the alure. And thats what keeps me from just excepting it, as fact.

Maybe when the lost tribe's come from the north country, from the Iles of the sea, you and I, Bob will know "from whence they came".

Straight away I too thought of that strange poem by William Wordsworth, made famous by the music set to it by Hubert Parry.

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountains green

And was the Holy Lamb of God

On England's pleasant pastures seen

Bring me my bow of burning gold

Bring me my arrows of desire

Bring me my spear - O clouds unfold

Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

'Til we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land

Here are some problems with this text (sorry Mr Wordsworth, you are a great poet)

England does not have any mountains

England did not exist till much after Christ's time. (the land may have but the name "England" certainly didn't)

Wordsworth (in my interpretation) is writing about how the church has always seemed to have existed in England.

And indeed it has.

The church has existed in England well before the famous crossing by St Augustine.

There is evidence of Christianity upon these islands from the first century.

BTW, there are some texts which were recently found which talk about Jesus living with Buddhists in India (or Hindustan as it was known). I consider this far more likely, though (as you may guess) extremely dodgy.

I have been to the Lake District...it was one of my areas on my mission and stood in front of Wordsworths home......Pushka....I thought there were mountains there also.....now keep in mind its been 20 something years since I have been there...someone could have come along and moved them.......LOL!!!!!

Straight away I too thought of that strange poem by William Wordsworth, made famous by the music set to it by Hubert Parry.

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountains green

And was the Holy Lamb of God

On England's pleasant pastures seen

Bring me my bow of burning gold

Bring me my arrows of desire

Bring me my spear - O clouds unfold

Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

'Til we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land

BTW, there are some texts which were recently found which talk about Jesus living with Buddhists in India (or Hindustan as it was known). I consider this far more likely, though (as you may guess) extremely dodgy.

Why are either of these posiblelitys dodgy?

Guest ApostleKnight

First off, I trace my roots back to England, near Salisbury plains, around 1200 A.D. So I'm not an anglo-hater, lol.

I believe Jesus' earthly mission was to the House of Israel. He specifically told his apostles (while he was still alive) not to preach to the gentiles, only to the House of Israel. I don't see him needing to range all the way up to England and India and who knows where else. He was a Jew from Nazareth who taught the Jews, lived with the Jews, etc...

Personal opinion, I'm not claiming doctrine here. I just don't see it as necessary...or probable.

thanks allmosthumble, that is the risk when you think you remember the line!

Isn't there another line about "dark satanic mills"?

Sure there are mountains in England, little ones! Sure it was not "England" back then but what's a little word play here and there!

It makes you think, if Jesus did get around like this he was one very busy bloke...... no wonder he didn't have the time to get married!!!!!!!! :) ok, ok, lets not go there again :)

Bob

Eeek! Seems we've all been a little misled here...the poem was actually written by William Blake!! Not sure if he lived in the Lake District...

The Dark Satanic Mills he refers to, I believe, are the weaving mills that opened up during the Industrial Revolution in various towns in the North of England (around my way). Note the name of the poem is actually The New Jerusalem...obviously he was harking back to the past when referring to the possibility of Jesus having walked 'in Englands's green and pleasant land.'

Palerider, I visited the Lake District not long ago and the mountains were still there...lol :)

Eeek! Seems we've all been a little misled here...the poem was actually written by William Blake!! Not sure if he lived in the Lake District...

The Dark Satanic Mills he refers to, I believe, are the weaving mills that opened up during the Industrial Revolution in various towns in the North of England (around my way). Note the name of the poem is actually The New Jerusalem...obviously he was harking back to the past when referring to the possibility of Jesus having walked 'in Englands's green and pleasant land.'

Palerider, I visited the Lake District not long ago and the mountains were still there...lol :)

Thats good to know.....I was trying to imagine what my pictures would look like without those mountains there.....LOL!!!!!

Hmmm...Wordsworth lived in the Lake District didn't he? I think the following site begs to differ in your opinion that there are no mountains in England, Christos:

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/mountains.html

Strictly speaking there are no mountains in England.

They don't surpass the 1000 metre mark.

But they are increadibly impressive, especcially the crags. The hills were carved by ice in this area of England during the melting of the glaciers.

Wales has a mountain, mount Snowdon which I have climbed.....okay, I caught the steam train to the top :D . It was freezing at the top and it is strange to be stood above the cloud.

You could climb to the absolute summit but it was dangerous because of the high winds and the clouds which momentarily blind you as they fly past.

Scotland has plenty of Mountains.

I love the lake district and will be going camping there in a few weeks. I love tent camping but the friends I am going with want to hire a chalet instead, so it isn't really camping but more like renting a chalet. :rolleyes:

Personally, I love to camp. But I haven't for so long. :( . It is costing us hundreds of pounds to hire the chalet when we could just camp for a small fee.

Heres one of my favourite pictures of the Lake District which I took.

The lake is Lake Windemere, the most well known lake. Nearby is the home of William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter (the creator of the Peter Rabbit books)

Posted Image

And here is one of my favourite pictures I took of Snowdonia (my favourite place to go for hiking)

Yes, the weather was pretty awful, it was Spring so the weather was even more unpredictable than normal.

Posted Image

And here is a picture of approaching the summit of Mount Snowdon.

Posted Image

Guest Monica

just because it isn't in the Bible, or the BofM, or the rest of the Standard Works ~ doesn't mean that what has been written isn't the truth.

:idea: reread the verses posted again... it says where Jesus was.

<div class='quotemain'>

First off, I trace my roots back to England, near Salisbury plains, around 1200 A.D. So I'm not an anglo-hater, lol.

I believe Jesus' earthly mission was to the House of Israel. He specifically told his apostles (while he was still alive) not to preach to the gentiles, only to the House of Israel. I don't see him needing to range all the way up to England and India and who knows where else. He was a Jew from Nazareth who taught the Jews, lived with the Jews, etc...

Personal opinion, I'm not claiming doctrine here. I just don't see it as necessary...or probable.

I'm feeling every word you say-

If the book has any truth to it, it claims that while in England, Jesus lived amoung the lost tribes of Israel.

There are many friends on this site who hale from the UK who can verify some of the things the book claims. Like how many of the family crests of England are made up of symbols from the ebernezers or banners of the twelve tribes.

I have got to get the book back from my friend so I can qoute from it.

Traveling by boat, you never have to lose site of land, until you get to the English Chanel. I don't know if it was necessary...but it could be probable. Maybe I'm more open cause I read the book (well most of the book and it did have some cool pictures). It was hard for me to read because it was written for a college coarse and would have been much more interesting with a little lecture...LOL now there is a dychotomy. :hmmm:

Heres one of my favourite pictures of the Lake District which I took.

The lake is Lake Windemere, the most well known lake. Nearby is the home of William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter (the creator of the Peter Rabbit books)

Posted Image

And here is one of my favourite pictures I took of Snowdonia (my favourite place to go for hiking)

Yes, the weather was pretty awful, it was Spring so the weather was even more unpredictable than normal.

Posted Image

And here is a picture of approaching the summit of Mount Snowdon.

Posted Image

Beautiful, beautiful

I know I said it twice - some thing are worth repeating.