Quick question about resurrected bodies

My question is this:

Our mortal bodies, as they are now, are often called Telestial, while translated bodies are called Terrestrial, and resurrected bodies Celestial.

Will people have a different type of resurrected body, though, according to the kingdom of glory they inherit? Or is it the same type of resurrection/body, just a different level of glory?

I suppose I'm asking if there are Telestial/Terrestrial/Celestial resurrected bodies apart from the standard mortal/translated/resurrected interpretation.

Prayerfully study the Inspired Version of I Corinthians 15 in these verses and ponder the meaning.

38 but God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh; but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40 Also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial, and bodies telestial; but the glory of the celestial, one; and the terrestrial, another; and the telestial, another.

Our resurrected bodies will be perfect in every way. We will appear at the peak of health in the prime of our lives. We have been promised that not even a single hair from our heads will be missing (though I can't recall where the quote can be located right now). All old injuries/scars will be gone, broken bones will be as though no break ever happened.

The beauty of it all is that our resurrected bodies will be given to us regardless of how we lived our lives. "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (I Corinthians 15:22)

Essentially it's like this. Adam was the one that brought death upon mankind. Because of his actions, we all suffer from his choice. Since that is unjust, Christ took upon himself the consequences of Adam's transgression. Because of this through Christ the resurrection with a perfect immortal body is a universal gift to all who have ever lived upon the earth, or who ever will up to the end.

No one is really getting at the question I'm asking :P. Are all resurrected bodies Celestial bodies?

I don't think there are really any authoritative statements one way or the other. There has been speculation by some highly-placed Church leaders (notably Orson Pratt and Joseph Fielding Smith), but that is all.

As I interpret the Inspired Version of I Corinthians 15:38-40 I think there are differences in celestial, terrestrial and telestial bodies. What that is exactly this means I do not know. God will give bodies as He chooses. We do know those inheriting a telestial glory will be resurrected last.

There is the first resurrection which will come forth before the millenium. All those who will be doing work in the millenium will have the same perfect resurrected bodies. Then the final war. Then the second resurrection. Then the judgement. Then we will be assigned to our kingdom. If you think of the "body of the priesthood", or group. The glories which will be assigned will be bodies of the celestial, bodies of terrestial, etc. As far as our personal bodies, they will all be perfect, even as our Father in Heaven is perfect.

Resurrection--Joseph Fielding Smith

"In the resurrection there will be different kinds of bodies; they will not all be alike. The body a man receives will determine his place hereafter. There will be celestial bodies, terrestrial bodies, and telestial bodies, and these bodies will differ as distinctly as do bodies here ...

Bodies will be quickened according to the kingdom which they are judged worthy to enter. Elder Orson Pratt many years ago in writing of the resurrection and the kind of bodies which would be raised in these kingdoms said:

"In every species of animals and plants, there are many resemblances in the general outlines and many specific differences characterizing the individuals of each species. So in the resurrection. There will be several classes of resurrected bodies; some celestial, some terrestrial, some telestial, and some sons of perdition. Each of these classes will differ from the others by prominent and marked distinctions; yet, in each, considered by itself, there will be found many resemblances as well as distinctions. There will be some physical peculiarity by which each individual in every class can be identified. (Doc of Salv 2:286-287.)"

I would venture to say that our bodies as they are now are Telestial. Adam and Eve before the fall, and anyone who is translated has a Terrestrial body. Anyone who has been resurrected has a Celestial body. But there are multiple kinds of Celestial bodies, relative to the kingdom of glory you inherit (or lack of glory you inherit). All of them would be perfect, immortal, etc...but some would be more comfortable in the presence of glory than others, perhaps relative to the glory imbued within the body itself at the resurrection. It's not that someone of the Telestial kingdom literally couldn't exist in God's presence, because a resurrected body can't die. They would just be far less happy trying to live in the Celestial kingdom than in the Telestial.

In a sense, God does people a favor by judging them to the Telestial kingdom. He sends everyone where they would be most happy.

D&C 88 teaches that a resurrected body is glorified according to the law that person abides by. Recent General Authorities have spoken about Becoming. We become a celestial person by going step by step from one glory to the next, living a more holy and obedient life as we go along. For those who stop short of a celestial lifestyle, there are lesser glories that equal what they have become.

• 1 year later...

well we know ONLY exalted bodies can Procreate

Do we? There's a whole lot of speculation in that statement. We don't know how spirits are created, but I suspect it is not done in any physical way, considering they are not physical children, but spirits. And the only reason we can have "eternal increase" is because we are worthy to retain our spousal sealing, not because we have exalted bodies.

D&C 88 teaches that a resurrected body is glorified according to the law that person abides by. Recent General Authorities have spoken about Becoming. We become a celestial person by going step by step from one glory to the next, living a more holy and obedient life as we go along. For those who stop short of a celestial lifestyle, there are lesser glories that equal what they have become.

I am inclined to agree and second your thought. I have speculated that through principles of obedience some will take better care of their bodies encouraging good health - while others neglect their bodies (as per the examples of being extreamly overweight) --- and that the same attitudes will be with us in the resurrection.

I am inclined to believe that many of the principles of good health will apply in the resurrection just as the principles of spiritual fitness and well being will also apply.

The Traveler

My body can procreate, despite not being exalted. I have several discrete proofs of the former statement and a mountain of evidence for the latter.

This may only be because so many spirits are extremely anxious to be born into a mortal experience. It is quite possible that in the eternities; intelligence that has reached the possibility of divine birth will forgo any lesser than Celestial parents - thus rendering reproductive behaviors of lesser beings fruitless.

The Traveler

This may only be because so many spirits are extremely anxious to be born into a mortal experience. It is quite possible that in the eternities; intelligence that has reached the possibility of divine birth will forgo any lesser than Celestial parents - thus rendering reproductive behaviors of lesser beings fruitless.

The Traveler

Traveler:

This is a very intriguing thought.

I'm more of the persuasion that we should try not to search for more specifics, but understand that the statements may be more ambiguous than we realize.

Reasoning:

In Jewish tradition, there is a line of reasoning that God created Adam and Eve, placed them "eastward in Eden," and when they transgressed, they were expelled from the Garden and sent further east. In order to return to God's presence, then, they would have traveled west.

When the Tabernacle of the Congregation was built, it was constructed so that the gate was at the east. As you travel further west, you come closer to the Holy of Holies, where you can enter God's presence. Thus, entering and going through all the areas of the Tabernacle was a symbolic journey back into God's presence.

This manner of teaching appears to have worked for a couple millenia, but Paul seems to have felt the need to change it. When he was teaching the churches throughout the Roman empire, who were better versed in the Greek-like religions, he discontinued using the east-to-west philosophy and instituted the terrestrial/celestial philosophy. So let's consider what those mean.

Celestial refers to heaven (where the Greeks believed that the gods resided. Terrestrial refers to the earth. The telestial world means, literally, the far away or distant world. When the word is translated into some languages, such as Russian (which has a fair amount of Greek influence itself), it is translated as the underground world. More appropriately, we might refer to it as the netherworld.

It is my personal belief that Paul wasn't trying to teach anything about resurrected bodies so much as he was trying to establish the doctrine that, if the commandments were obeyed, all people could return to live with God. He was just using terms and philosophies that were more familiar to the Greeks than were the Hebrew customs of the day.

Likewise, I think the modern church has applied yet another interpretation of telestial, terrestrial, and celestial to our philosophy. We talk about living in a telestial world, but, by definition, we don't; we live in a terrestrial world. And, in fact, the world we live in is part of a larger celestial environment. So when we apply the terms telestial, terrestrial, and celestial, we are doing so in a very symbolic sense, usually related to the level of understanding and covenant at which we are living.

So what do I think the differences between telestial, terrestrial, and celestial bodies will be in the Resurrection? I don't think it will be anything all that obvious; perhaps something more subtle like greater power, prestige, or influence. I wouldn't put money on it, but it could be as simple as different colored wrist bands that determine which rides we are allowed to go on at the carnival.

Whatever it is, I'm not too concerned about it because I don't think that differences in the bodies is the message that needs to be conveyed. Instead, I think we should focus more on understanding how our decisions and actions helps us return to God's presence. Some decisions may keep us away, others may put us closer, but not quite there, and others may be the decisions that lead straight to God's presence*.

*I also think that interpreting 'God's presence' as his literal presence is somewhat short sighted. I think we can live in his presence, or rather, under his immediate influence, here if we live righteously--or rather, by a 'celestial standard.'

My question is this:

Our mortal bodies, as they are now, are often called Telestial, while translated bodies are called Terrestrial, and resurrected bodies Celestial.

Will people have a different type of resurrected body, though, according to the kingdom of glory they inherit? Or is it the same type of resurrection/body, just a different level of glory?

I suppose I'm asking if there are Telestial/Terrestrial/Celestial resurrected bodies apart from the standard mortal/translated/resurrected interpretation.

Yes they differ as much as the sun differs from the moon and the moon differs from the stars. On top of that, one star differs from another star and remains separate whereas there is one moon and one sun. I think it is good to ponder the meaning of those phrases in the scriptures as already posted as that really is one of the few references in the scriptures to the question you are asking. BTW, that is a question I have asked numerous times which typically does not get me any further in really understanding it. It likely is something that has to wait until the next life to fully understand.

At least metaphorically speaking the magnitude of the difference is as if one were to compare the magnitude of difference between the sun and the moon and between the moon and the stars and the difference between some stars and other stars.

I think there is a difference, also, between "perfect" and "perfected". I think "perfected" could just be in reference to being as perfect as it could be given the righteousness of the individual and thus not be the same as the "perfected" body of another. There is, however, only one set of "perfect" bodies created that we know about, which are the ones created for Adam and Eve. Human bodies fell from that status as a result of the Fall which includes the introduced corruption of mutation, variability and change away from the original copy. As far as we know, God did not put different types of bodies in the Garden of Eden, just one set or kind. In other words, the designation "telestial" could be in reference also to the variability as "one star differs from another" as that is the situation we are in now.

Our resurrected bodies will be perfect in every way. We will appear at the peak of health in the prime of our lives. We have been promised that not even a single hair from our heads will be missing (though I can't recall where the quote can be located right now). All old injuries/scars will be gone, broken bones will be as though no break ever happened.

The beauty of it all is that our resurrected bodies will be given to us regardless of how we lived our lives. "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (I Corinthians 15:22)

Essentially it's like this. Adam was the one that brought death upon mankind. Because of his actions, we all suffer from his choice. Since that is unjust, Christ took upon himself the consequences of Adam's transgression. Because of this through Christ the resurrection with a perfect immortal body is a universal gift to all who have ever lived upon the earth, or who ever will up to the end.

Not trying to hijack this thread. But I do have a quick question. I do believe, as you said, not a single hair will be missing. But if that is so. Why does the church frown on cremation?

Surly Heavenly Father can resurrect our body from the ashes. Brother Ray

Not trying to hijack this thread. But I do have a quick question. I do believe, as you said, not a single hair will be missing. But if that is so. Why does the church frown on cremation?

Surly Heavenly Father can resurrect our body from the ashes. Brother Ray

I think it unlikely that the objection is based on some sort of perceived difficulty with a cremated body being resurrected. It's much more likely based on concepts of what is a respectful way to treat the departed. I know it's only a "I Have a Question", but that seems to be the thought process: I Have a Question - Ensign Aug. 1991 - ensign

I've always understood that the Corinthians scripture meant that ones body would be resurrected in accordance with ones assigned Kingdom. So telestial residents would have telestial bodies, and so forth.

I know that all are promised a resurrection. But it doesn't make sense that all will be given a celestial body. If Father's body is so full of light that we have to be transfigured in order to abide it, why would telestial folks be given a body with more light than the place they are going to dwell?

I think it unlikely that the objection is based on some sort of perceived difficulty with a cremated body being resurrected. It's much more likely based on concepts of what is a respectful way to treat the departed. I know it's only a "I Have a Question", but that seems to be the thought process: I Have a Question - Ensign Aug. 1991 - ensign

Dravin; Thank you very much for the link. I found the answers I was hoping for.

When I die my life Ins. is only going to be enough for cremation. i learned that with special preparation, the church will allow cremation. Brother Ray

Do we? There's a whole lot of speculation in that statement. We don't know how spirits are created, but I suspect it is not done in any physical way, considering they are not physical children

Hope they don't take the fun out of procreation. Won't be all that celestrial if this is the case:lol: