Energy

EwokBrown

The church is interested in proclaiming the gospel, perfecting the saints, redeeming the dead, and helping the needy. It's individual members are free to believe whatever they like about body energy and magnetic fields - as long as they don't try to pass it off as some sort of doctrinal truth.

You can certainly find LDS folks who are big on Tai Chi or Qigong or magnets. I run into them occasionally.

I like the analogy of a car. The car doesn't move unless it has a driver (perferrably a human over the age of 16 who has taken driver's ed ;) ).

Our bodies are like the car. Our spirits are like the driver of the car. I believe that through "exercises" (for lack of a better word) Tai Chi and Qigong are ways to help the spirit control the body. There are other ways, such as meditation, PRAYER, etc., for our spirits to learn to take control of our bodies.

We are here on this earth to learn how to "drive our cars."

After all that.... LM is right. The church doesn't have a position on it except that Tai Chi and Qigong are not religion or doctrine.

Guest gopecon

Some things like that when followed completely are religions. While the Church does not comment on every trend out there, I think we would be wise to make sure the activities that we engage in are in harmony with the Gospel. The danger with some things is that they encourage people to look for other sources of peace than the Prince of Peace. Sometimes this may be fine, sometimes I think it crosses the line when people get too engrossed in them.

When and where does the church take a stand that Tai Chi is not a religion? I don't believe the church defines what is and isn't religion or doctrine for others.

I wonder if she was trying to intensify rather then make it a separate category, so basically there was an implied "our" in there.

---(not directed at quote)

It should be noted the stand the Church has taken on it not being doctrine is one of exclusion. It's not been established in the discussion of doctrine. That said just because something is not doctrine doesn't make it bad. For instance allopatric medicine is not doctrine but I feel safe in saying the brothern don't see it to be in conflict with Gospel principles. Which is the key. You need to evaluate something and see if the practice or holding of it is compatible with established doctrine. Or to paraphrase and make it first person, "Learn correct principles and govern yourself."

Some things like that when followed completely are religions. While the Church does not comment on every trend out there, I think we would be wise to make sure the activities that we engage in are in harmony with the Gospel. The danger with some things is that they encourage people to look for other sources of peace than the Prince of Peace. Sometimes this may be fine, sometimes I think it crosses the line when people get too engrossed in them.

I would not so much as disagree but according to the Articles of Faith we (as LDS) look for truth wherever it can be found. I believe your point is that truth should “expand” our perceptions not confine them. If you mean that we begin to exclude any “truth” because of our focus on some specific ideas - it is then we limit ourselves. And I fully agree. I believe Jesus taught this principle in his parable of the “Good Samaritan” implying that even from the evil and corrupt religion of the Samaritans we can learn valuable truths - if we care to look for them.

The Traveler

When and where does the church take a stand that Tai Chi is not a religion? I don't believe the church defines what is and isn't religion or doctrine for others.

sorry.... "are not LDS religion or doctrine"

which is what we were talking about. Sorry my fingers aren't as fast as my brain and I missed a word.