A book on Emma Smith?

ruthiechan

Is it something that my child can read?

You'll have to make that call. If you're worried about it, I'd get the book privately and read it and then decide.

The book is very frank about Joseph's polygamy(polygyny). And some of the footnotes I'm not in favor of, for example they site Brodie's No Man Knows My History for more info on his wives, whereas I would have referred the reader to Compton's In Sacred Loneliness.

HiJolly

I second HiJolly's recommendation of Mormon Enigma if your daughter is old enough to understand a scholarly treatment, including the difficult realities of Joseph's polygamy and how severely they traumatized Emma, her animosity for Brigham that was clearly reciprocated, that sort of thing.

In the meantime (if you haven't already purchased the book), Emma Smith Through Her Writings is a lovely essay that gives us a glimpse into Emma's character via the writings she left behind. It's written by one of the authors of Mormon Enigma, but is fairly short and includes nothing that would be historically difficult for a young LDS girl. It's one of my favorite pieces, given Emma is a hero of mine.

Even if your daughter is older and has no problem with scholarly treatments, she will enjoy it.

Elphaba