Aus-merican family moving to America: ward hunt help please

earth2steph

Hello, Steph here.

My family and I are looking for a ward that will suit us demographically and politically. To be more specific we'd love to find a ward with lots of youth and toddlers and old-fashioned American family values and a majority of STAY AT HOME MOMS. A heavy military presence would just be the cherry on top and Priesthood holder's that love to bond with new members at the gun range would be fabulous!

We're tired of the "when is your wife going back to work?" question. Howabout never! My work and my passion are one in the same: my family. Harmony and strong bonds between parents and children are our first priority, second only to our relationship with our Heavenly Father. Tired to bits of the social democracy here in Australia. It's so overwhelmingly Catholic that even the Catholic doctrine is finding it's way into sacrament meetings here. I refuse to drink the kool-aid. Can hardly wait to be back in America!

Any suggestions about where we will fit in are most welcome and appreciated.

You would hate Ogden, Utah. It is packed full of ignorant people who don't realize their efforts to show interest in your life by asking when you're going back to work are actually highly offensive and a sign that they are in legion with Satan. Plus, there are no gun ranges in Ogden. Not one. Oh, and no toddlers either.

Well, okay, there are a few toddlers, but their parents are those awful people who can't read minds and therefore don't know what is, and is not, appropriate to say to you.

Please don't come to Ogden.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

Eagle Mountain sounds like it would fit the bill. Lots of folks that work at Camp Williams, and lots of shooters.

Yeh and unfortunately it was a target shooter out around Eagle Mountain that started the fire and forced the evacuation of hundreds of homes just days ago. I'm not sure the fire is even totally out yet.

If you are moving to Utah, there are a few other communities around Camp Williams like Saratoga Springs and Riverton. You also might consider Davis County near Hill AFB like Layton and Kaysville. Lots of communities up there with strong family values. Kinda depends on how rural you want to get.

Yeh and unfortunately it was a target shooter out around Eagle Mountain that started the fire and forced the evacuation of hundreds of homes just days ago. I'm not sure the fire is even totally out yet.

We were driving around the fire the other day and there were guys out there target shooting like 100 yrds from the charred earth!! Brilliant demonstration of intelligence.

We were driving around the fire the other day and there were guys out there target shooting like 100 yrds from the charred earth!! Brilliant demonstration of intelligence.

Are you serious? Oh.my.word.

If you are moving to Utah, there are a few other communities around Camp Williams like Saratoga Springs and Riverton. You also might consider Davis County near Hill AFB like Layton and Kaysville. Lots of communities up there with strong family values. Kinda depends on how rural you want to get.

I lived in Riverton for 4 years. It's a great community.

America is a pretty big place. I love Southern Orange County, California. We even have eucalyptus trees. Also, I would consider some areas in and around San Diego. It's very much a military town. And there are several temples nearby, which I would think might be a consideration.

America is a pretty big place. I love Southern Orange County, California. We even have eucalyptus trees. Also, I would consider some areas in and around San Diego. It's very much a military town. And there are several temples nearby, which I would think might be a consideration.

Yeah, except she mentioned shooting. I guess California isn't the worst place in the US for shooting, only about the third. :lol:

Are you looking for a specific area? What kind of work will your husband be looking for when you get here? There are a lot of factors to consider when looking for a place to establish roots. Everyone here will most likely be biased to where they live. lol And on that note I prefer small branches in Alabama. You will have lots of opportunity to serve the lord and develop a working testimony of the gospel.

No, what I meant was that California has horrendous, oppressive gun laws, and if they like to shoot, they should choose some place more free.

Ah, yes, California is a very large state, with very diverse people. But the legislature is, well, frankly nuts. But the weather is nice. While the rest of the country is reaching 95-110' weather, we are sitting in 72' with a cool breeze.

With you on that Gwen! We would like to be near Salt Lake City area or Provo/Orem just so there's a broader range of work. My husband is a certified High Voltage Electrician (industrial/powerplant: transformers and switchgear) in Australia, but has also worked doing mortgage loan approval and collections. Currently doing carpet cleaning after his other jobs were made redundant due to outsourced labour and an Evangelical boss that resented him being Mormon and more solvent than himself. Is actually thinking about doing truck driving locally too. We will be in a position to take our time and really choose the most suitable ward, school district and job for him and our family. Have been checking out schools/homes on greatschools.org and other sites for some time. Just looking for an insider's perspective. I'm from VA, so it will be a new culture for me too, not just for my Aussie husband.

Quick Doctrine question: If a man is not sealed at his death, can he enter the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom? Just curious. Thanks.

Thanks bytebear, We really do want a state that has almost no gun laws. We've been watching the flashmob situation in the USA and we want to be prepared for all possible contingencies. I'm former military and grew up with guns, so I want the full freedom of that. We love bears.

Quote from Chief Wigam: 'Book 'em on one count of being a bear and one count of ...of accessory to being a bear'. In our household, " a bear" is interchangeable with "squeezy" because we love squeezing our children. My son backs up to my husband and shouts "Dad! Squeeze my bum!" But, I digress. Thanks for your posts. :)