is green tea okay?

ALittleLost

Guest MormonGator

No, I meant the supplements you use for weightlifting. Like I said, I know nothing about them. 

1 minute ago, Grunt said:

I just fight father time.

"Time and tide wait for no man." - Geoffrey Chaucer 

Edited by MormonGator

I look at the Word of Wisdom as being substances that alter our mind chemistry, but more importantly are addictive in a way that one needs their daily dose.  Coffee, tea, alcohol, tobacco, and now things like speed, cocaine, marijuana.  Caffeine may be an addiction, but I don't know many people who MUST have a Coke before starting their day, and if they are, I would say they need to consider changing things.  But there are habitual products that are part of daily routine.  Those are the ones specified in the Word of Wisdom.

1 hour ago, bytebear said:

...But there are habitual products that are part of daily routine.  Those are the ones specified in the Word of Wisdom.

A product used habitually doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. Toothpaste should be used as part of a daily routine. Brushing your teeth is a good habit.

M.

2 hours ago, bytebear said:

I don't have a physiological addiction to it.

So in a round about way you are admitting to not having a great oral hygiene habit. My advice is change your attitude, poor oral hygiene can put you at risk for other diseases.

M.

12 hours ago, Maureen said:

Toothpaste should be used as part of a daily routine.

Highly debatable. The fluoride found in most toothpastes is probably useful for hardening tooth enamel, though the same effect can be had by simply rinsing your mouth with a fluoride mouthwash. Other than that, toothpaste appears to have no positive effect at all on tooth health or oral hygiene.

12 hours ago, Maureen said:

A product used habitually doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. Toothpaste should be used as part of a daily routine. Brushing your teeth is a good habit.

M.

It is when in the WOW.  Toothpaste is not in the WOW.

Habitually reading scriptures, praying, partaking of the sacrament, etc. etc. are, of course, encouraged.

11 minutes ago, Vort said:

Highly debatable. The fluoride found in most toothpastes is probably useful for hardening tooth enamel, though the same effect can be had by simply rinsing your mouth with a fluoride mouthwash. Other than that, toothpaste appears to have no positive effect at all on tooth health or oral hygiene.

I disagree.

http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=b&iid=291&aid=1134

M.

Just now, Maureen said:

Tons of people in the poor areas of the Philippines consider toothpaste a luxury.  Their teeth are just fine.  In an archipelago, sea water is in abundance.  Great for keeping teeth clean.

Just now, Maureen said:

Disagree as much as you like. Your link is not convincing.

Brushing with toothpaste is important for several reasons. First and foremost, a toothpaste and a correct brushing action work to remove plaque, a sticky, harmful film of bacteria that grows on your teeth that causes cavities, gum disease and eventual tooth loss if not controlled. Second, toothpaste contains fluoride, which makes the entire tooth structure more resistant to decay and promotes remineralization, which aids in repairing early decay before the damage can even be seen. Third, special ingredients in toothpaste help to clean and polish the teeth and remove stains over time. Fourth, toothpastes help freshen breath and leave your mouth with a clean feeling.

#1: Plaque. Toothpaste does nothing at all to combat plaque. Nothing. Brushing is the only thing that removes plaque. An alcohol-based mouthwash might potentially have some deterrent effect on plaque bacteria, but plaque bacteria vs. toothpaste is like a granite cliff face vs. a light fog.

#2: Fluoride. I already mentioned this as the sole potential benefit, one that can be equally enjoyed by using a fluoride mouthwash.

#3: Cleaning and polishing. This is bogus on two levels. First, the only way toothpaste can help with "cleaning" is if it contains abrasives. Helpful hint: Generally speaking, you don't want to brush your teeth with abrasives any more than you want to use sandpaper to clean your teeth. The same fine abrasives are used for "polishing", which may possibly have some cosmetic effect (beneficial or otherwise), but have no effect on dental health.

#4: Fresh breath and a "clean feeling". Fresh breath originates from having two things: Clean teeth and gums and a healthy colonization of microflora in your mouth. Toothpaste does not help with either of these. Yes, it may give your mouth a "minty" odor -- not something I find particularly attractive when I kiss my wife, but to each his own -- but if that's what you're after, again, you can use mouthwash. As for the "clean feeling", that's purely psychological. When you spend your life watching TV commercials that teach you that your very breath of life is offensive to others unless you mask its natural odor with Minty Fresh Crest, I think your problems have much less to do with what your breath smells like than with how much you're being influenced by Madison Avenue's attempts to sell you soap.

36 minutes ago, Maureen said:

So in a round about way you are admitting to not having a great oral hygiene habit. My advice is change your attitude, poor oral hygiene can put you at risk for other diseases.

M.

No, I am saying an addiction is not the same as daily routines.  Teeth brushing is not addictive.

9 minutes ago, Maureen said:

I'm shocked. I was not expecting this anti-toothpaste, anti-oral hygiene view. Good luck to you and your teeth.

Do you have any actual evidence to rebut what I have presented, beyond your own state of being shocked and appalled?

Oh, yes, and what part of what I or others wrote above can reasonably be interpreted as "anti-oral hygiene"? Methinks this is just another Maureen Misstatement®.

Edited by Vort

1 minute ago, Vort said:

Do you have any actual evidence to rebut what I have presented, beyond your own state of being shocked and appalled?

What you have presented doesn't change the fact that oral hygiene is a good thing, not a bad thing; it's GOOD. Argue all you want, share your opinions all you want. It won't change the benefits of oral hygiene, which includes brushing teeth with toothpaste.

M.

25 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Seriously, girl?  You're going to counter it with a google search to come up with a news story not even knowing ANYTHING about the Philippines dental challenges? 

Okay, tell me right now... when did toothpaste become a thing for most people?  Are you going to tell me now that anybody before the popularity of toothpaste are incapable of oral health?

And then you make another leap of using this "evidence" as foundation for how tea's habit forming qualities is of the same footing as toothpaste?

Edited by anatess2