is green tea okay?

ALittleLost

2 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

LOL😇 Yeah! I expect there will be a lot of this! I am taking a vow of silence until the Aussies and the UK people come up with some cool lingo! 

I refer you, the Aussies, and the UK people here:

And here:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/name-of-the-church

(I habitually typed "Mormon", recognized what I'd done, and decided to leave it (scratched out) because it might serve as a reminder for all of us - new habits to form.)

6 minutes ago, zil said:

I refer you, the Aussies, and the UK people here:

And here:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/name-of-the-church

(I habitually typed "Mormon", recognized what I'd done, and decided to leave it (scratched out) because it might serve as a reminder for all of us - new habits to form.)

Yep! I am going to do the necessary. We will get a few laughs when teaching relief society! I imagine that teachers will learn to say the name of the church more quickly! Nice thing about my ward, we always try to adapt to the new policies although we are thinking, ‘ I am here from Head Office and I am here to help you!’

I get kinda of a feeling that missionaries from Utah felt a little hostility. That Head Office feeling. Now we have a lot of Canadian missionaries. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Well to be fair there is some confusion. I had a bishop tell me that green tea was fine. I have had some long term and very serious members tell me that green tea is fine. So...I can see why people would have different points of view. 

I'm not planning to take up a new green tea drinking habit or anything, but I do think this is fascinating.  Thanks for sharing.  

We could drill down and ask what about if it's included in the ingredients of something...for example, diet aids, or Zip Fizz.   Do you use Nyquil which has some alcohol content?   I think it's a personal judgement call...just throwing it out there for fun!   :)  

6 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I'm not planning to take up a new green tea drinking habit or anything, but I do think this is fascinating.  Thanks for sharing.  

We could drill down and ask what about if it's included in the ingredients of something...for example, diet aids, or Zip Fizz.   Do you use Nyquil which has some alcohol content?   I think it's a personal judgement call...just throwing it out there for fun!   :)  

Vanilla has alcohol! You can make vanilla by soaking a vanilla bean in vodka. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I didn't know that.  Thanks.  The plot thickens...

9 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I didn't know that.  Thanks.  The plot thickens...

Sometimes ignorance is bliss! I do wonder about cooking with alcohol! As a new member, early teens, I went to a restaurant with an lds friend. We had fruit in a spicy liquid for dessert. The owner and the waiters were killing themselves! My friend and I were very tame people but we loosened up considerably after dessert! Fortunately we were not driving! 

Edited by Sunday21

Guest LiterateParakeet
Just now, Sunday21 said:

Sometimes ignorance is bliss! I do wonder about cooking with alcohol! As a new member, early teens, I went to a restaurant with an lds friend. We had fruit in a spicy liquid for dessert. The owner and the waiters were killing themselves! My friend and I were very tame people but we lossen up considerably after dessert! Fortunately we were not driving! 

LOL!  That reminds me of the time my daughter ate a weed brownie on accident.  She said she was very, very happy for the next few hours!  

The process of soaking a bean, pod, or other plant part in alcohol, allowing the alcohol to draw out the oil or other essence from the plant, is called "extracting". Thus, we have "vanilla extract".

If you do lots of baking with vanilla, it is significantly cheaper to buy vodka and vanilla beans and make your own vanilla extract than to buy it. And you can easily make it double or triple strength. I've wanted to do it for a long time, but haven't gotten around to it. Years ago, I got a fifth of vodka as a celebration from my company for something or other. I must have ended up giving (or throwing) it away. Too bad. If I had it now, it would be vanilla extract.

17 hours ago, Maureen said:

I can't quit the conversation since you keep commenting/replying to my posts. That would be rude. 😊

BTW, all posters can reply to any post they wish to, whether you agree with it or not.

M.

I didn't tell you to quit.  I told you it's an option so you don't continue to sound silly responding to things you don't bother to put into context.

10 minutes ago, Vort said:

The process of soaking a bean, pod, or other plant part in alcohol, allowing the alcohol to draw out the oil or other essence from the plant, is called "extracting". Thus, we have "vanilla extract".

If you do lots of baking with vanilla, it is significantly cheaper to buy vodka and vanilla beans and make your own vanilla extract than to buy it. And you can easily make it double or triple strength. I've wanted to do it for a long time, but haven't gotten around to it. Years ago, I got a fifth of vodka as a celebration from my company for something or other. I must have ended up giving (or throwing) it away. Too bad. If I had it now, it would be vanilla extract.

I don’t feel comfortable having alcohol in the house. What if I have a bad day? It would be like having cookies or ice cream hanging around!

Sometimes ignorance is bliss! I do wonder about cooking with alcohol! As a new member, early teens, I went to a restaurant with an lds friend. We had fruit in a spicy liquid for dessert. The owner and the waiters were killing themselves! My friend and I were very tame people but we loosened up considerably after dessert! Fortunately we were not driving! 

Vinegar, to qualify as vinegar, would need to go through the process of becoming alcoholic then fermented beyond it to become non-alcoholic.  Vinegar would have traces of alcohol in it even after fermentation.  Cooking with alcohol, like the fermentation process, would have varying results of burn-off.  It would depend on the heat the cooking surface, etc.  You may have traces of alcohol left on it or you may have most of the alcohol still present.

In any case, I like balsamic vinegar and usually have it when I'm serving salad.  Balsamic vinegar is basically fermented alcohol.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Vinegar, to qualify as vinegar, would need to go through the process of becoming alcoholic then fermented beyond it to become non-alcoholic.

Mmmm...sort of. By definition, "fermentation" refers to the process where the microscopic beasties make alcohol (ethanol). There are other bacteria whose life mission is to convert ethanol into acetic acid. So that's sort of second "fermentation", except that it's not a fermentation. But the basic idea is there. Bacteria do the work for us.

Update: I'm probably mistaken about "fermentation" being the wrong word.

Edited by Vort

17 minutes ago, Vort said:

Mmmm...sort of. By definition, "fermentation" refers to the process where the microscopic beasties make alcohol (ethanol). There are other bacteria whose life mission is to convert ethanol into acetic acid. So that's sort of second "fermentation", except that it's not a fermentation. But the basic idea is there. Bacteria do the work for us.

What's the proper term for "fermented beyond alcoholic"?  <Please don't tell my Chemistry teacher I asked this question... I got an A in her class and she bragged to my Chemical Engineer dad about it.>

40 minutes ago, Vort said:

Then my interlocking stone driveway is not living the word of wisdom! I pour pure vinegar on the bricks. Kills the weeds. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Sunday21 said:

Then my interlocking stone driveway is not living the word of wisdom! I pour pure vinegar on the bricks. Kills the weeds. 

As long as your driveway isn't smoking weed, things will be okay. 😉

32 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

What's the proper term for "fermented beyond alcoholic"?  <Please don't tell my Chemistry teacher I asked this question... I got an A in her class and she bragged to my Chemical Engineer dad about it.>

According to this Popular Science article, I'm wrong. It is called fermentation. Here is a good, elementary-level chemical discussion of the process that, like the PopSci article, talks about a "two-step fermentation process".

14 minutes ago, Vort said:

According to this Popular Science article, I'm wrong. It is called fermentation. Here is a good, elementary-level chemical discussion of the process that, like the PopSci article, talks about a "two-step fermentation process".

Whoa.  I've made vinegar several times as a kid and now it makes sense!  The things you learn from Vort I tell ya.

So, let me tell you about this thing called coconut wine that then turns into coconut vinegar... so, we collect the coconut wine from the coconut sap... in my hometown, some guy would bring a fresh bamboo tube and climb up the coconut tree - no harness! - and cut a flowering stem (please don't ask me what exactly this is - I just know it as flowering stem on a coconut tree, I've never ever climbed up a coconut tree high enough to reach the crown and see this thing for myself) and then let the sap from the cut stem drip into the bamboo tube leaving the tube on the tree.  It takes about 8 hours to gather about a liter of the stuff from one stem.  So then the guy goes back and takes the bamboo tube down and pours the thing into a cup... and voila... coconut wine strong enough to get you woozy.  Leave it for the next day (or use a not-so-fresh bamboo tube) and it could be strong enough to knock you out after a couple of cups.

Now, here's the interesting thing that I didn't see in your pop sci article... to make vinegar out of this thing, they pour the wine into open jugs with a faucet on the bottom and let it sit until this gel-like substance forms on top.  So then they pour out the liquid from the faucet into another jug.  This could happen about 2 more times as the new jug forms more gel-like substance.  The open jug just sits there for a couple months or so until it is "sour enough".  Now, what I don't see in the article is this eel in the liquid that just goes and eats eats eats the gel-like things.  You need this eel to make the vinegar.  I don't know where they come from.  They just appear out of nowhere.  Anyway, the sell/use the vinegar when it's time by filtering the liquid through a sieve but it is always possible you get this eels in your vinegar.  But don't worry... I've had this vinegar most of my Philippine life and I haven't yet heard of anybody dying from vinegar eel...

Guest Godless
9 hours ago, Vort said:

To take it a step further, any use of bacteria, yeast, or other micro-cultures to alter the composition, flavor, and/or pH of a food or beverage is typically considered fermentation. This includes (but is not limited to) sour cream, yogurt, sauerkraut, kombucha tea, even bread (especially sourdough). The last two sometimes contain negligible amounts of ethanol.

Hmm.. I am going to take the opposite side of the argument rather than just...NO.

I believe in the WOW and am a vegetarian as well as following it strictly and not drinking tea, coffee etc.

That said recent research has said that up to 6 cups a day of tea can cut heart disease deaths by 65% in a dutch study and 45% in one by Harvard ( wife is a MD). Heart disease is the main cause of death in the US.

I think that man made the WOW a commandment not God. and that isn't always a bad thing but can cause problems when you don't know exactly what or why things are done i.e. the church has said that it's not the caffeine as the reason we don't drink those. And it was many years before anyone said that "Hot Drinks" mean tea and coffee.. But what about herbal tea?

The Lord gave this as a temporal commandment meaning for the good of our body and long life.. "To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—"

Yet about 1935 HJG president of the church made it a commandment and requirement for temple recommend. They focused on just four things 1-coffee 2-tea 3- tobacco 4- alcohol.. This is what they ask you on your temple recommend interview.

They totally ignore the one thing it mentions 3 times ( meat consumption). I became aware of the discrepancy when neither I nor my friends were enjoying the promise of  "And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint."

If it is temporal for our physical well being as it says it is ( and there is a spiritual blessing about finding hidden treasures of knowledge) then we should be living longer as a people than all other religions.. We don't markedly. This study was interesting. And according to PubMed "Some tumor rates are higher in Mormons, e.g. malignant melanoma, also all types of malignant lymphoma and myeloma."

Now fasting is good for the heart as well.. Mormons have 5-7% lower blockage as a result and a far lower case of being diagnosed with CAD..

Tea is a question.. tea vs. coke, pepsi, energy drinks, diet pills is an even deeper matter for study.. If the number one killer is heart disease and drinking 3-6 cups a day cuts that nearly in half..?

Researchers in The Netherlands found:

• Drinking more than six cups of tea per day was associated with a 36 percent lower risk of heart disease compared to those who drank less than one cup of tea per day.
  • Drinking three to six cups of tea per day was associated with a 45 percent reduced risk of death from heart disease, compared to consumption of less than one cup per day.

I drink a lot of herbal tea.. But in my heart I think the Lord knew what he was saying when he said hot drinks.. I think he meant any hot drink that scalds you could cause cancer.. I don't think he meant coffee or tea or what about Mate, etc.

When a man or prophet does something without the Lord's specific seal of approval or understanding what hot drinks mean ( was a hundred years later before they said coffee or tea) there can be problems over the years as things come up..Might be a good time to have the church review this or not.. Just a thought.