Polygamy in the afterlife?

BusyB

My mom told me that we LDS members believe that the men will have several woman he's married to in heaven one day. Is this true? It seems so wrong if it is, and I don't understand it! I have been inactive since 17, so I never really learned too much of my own religion. I do believe it's true, but I just don't understand why I will have to share my husband one day in heaven.....? :confused:

Also, what about multiple marriages and being sealed more than once to different spouses?

Please give me trusted references to read up on this, if you can.

Edited by BusyB

My husband already plans to volunteer himself for marriage to Anne Hathaway, Scarlett Johansen, and Emma Watson, if they are without sealings.

Seriously, though, there's no actual doctrine on it. The most I've heard [that I trust] is simply a manner of a man who is sealed to a wife, she dies, and he is sealed to another wife--all during life.

My mom has been LDS all of her life and so was her mother. She heard this from a trusted LDS member. So, as hard as it is for me, I kind of believe it to be true. I'm trying to look it up online, but am having no luck. I stink at surfing the web for info tho.

BusyB, I was less-active for many years; repent and return. Your Heavenly Father needs you. Once you are again safe in your faith, knowledge will come. You will see that there are certain questions that are not easily answered. I have come to understand that many of my questions will not be answered until I can speak directly with the Lord, I have also come to understand that my questions should be concerned more with the personal relationship I can and should be developing with my Savior. While speculative questions can be fun to think about and discuss, the underlying reason for a question (I think) should be, will it help me draw closer to Deity?

My husband already plans to volunteer himself for marriage to Anne Hathaway, Scarlett Johansen, and Emma Watson, if they are without sealings.

Seriously, though, there's no actual doctrine on it. The most I've heard [that I trust] is simply a manner of a man who is sealed to a wife, she dies, and he is sealed to another wife--all during life.

LOL

Yeah, that makes since if it's only true because of multiple sealings. But, it's only for the males right? My mom was married to my dad for 26 years and they were not sealed because of him not being a member. Her husband now is a member and I like him... but I want my dad to be apart of our family in heaven. Ugh. So confusing this is.

This sure is a confusing issue! My mom remarried when I was a teenager. I have thoughts such as yours concerning this. Again, though, they are thoughts not to be dwelled on. Just know, that the Lord knows what he's doing, he loves you and will see to it that your family circle will continue, if that's what you choose.

LOL

Yeah, that makes since if it's only true because of multiple sealings. But, it's only for the males right? My mom was married to my dad for 26 years and they were not sealed because of him not being a member. Her husband now is a member and I like him... but I want my dad to be apart of our family in heaven. Ugh. So confusing this is.

It is confusing. I know this is a horribly standard answer, but I have long ago thrown up my hands and assumed Heavenly Father will sort it all out in the end.

One also must consider that EVERYONE will be sealed together. That may be leading to the idea of polygamy.

I'm waiting for one of the smart people on the board to provide a doctrine-based answer...

I think alot of people stress out over things that are ultimately irrelevant.

Lets put this in context.. Lets assume you make it to the Celestial Kingdom and are exalted... (which is the only situation were marital status seems to mean anything) Upon reaching this status or state do you really think that God is then going to compel or force you to do something that you are dead set against?

Given that he doesn't really do that now I have a hard time seeing suddenly happening then so I would have to say no.

The question on if polygamy is in the afterlife is simply a distraction. The real challenge is to strive to bring our will and desires into harmony to the will of God. As we do so such distractions can be put aside because we gain faith that God knows better then we do what needs to be done and we are willing to accept it.

In line with what has been said before, there is a lot of conjecture around this topic, but that's all it is, conjecture.

I know a few general authorities have prescribed to this ideology, that doesn't mean it's necessarily correct or incorrect.

Myself, I am not concerned with it, I know I'm sealed to my spouse and child, and if we live up to each others covenants we just might be a family unit after death. That's good enough for me. I just don't care if the composition may or may not change. Some prescribe to the thought that we will be one big human family, all sealed to each other as a family unit, remember sealing isn't synonymous with marriage.

My goodness, I must be behind the times, I need to speak with my wife about who I can speak for if they aren't sealed.

I wonder if she won't mind if I am sealed to Kathy Ireland along with her? :lol:

EDIT: Ok, just sent her this text via skype:

Would you mind if I speak for Kathy Ireland, Niki Taylor, etc... How many you Ok with?

I will inform everyone regarding her response.

EDIT2: Her response:

Ummm, I don't think those husbands are going to be allowed to have plural wives....They must have missed Jacob's words in the Book Of Mormon about desiring more wives. If you start to "claim" any women for plural marriage I am out of here!!

EDIT3: Her next response,

To quote the incredibles " I'm the greatest good you ever gona get."

Edited by Anddenex

Some will certainly live polygamy, and I believe it will be only those who embrace it. Just recently we had a poster here hoping sincerely that a specific woman would be able to join her family in the next life. That's something that I certainly can't relate with, nor can my husband, but I don't worry about it like I used to. I think that there will be enough people open to it that those of us repulsed by it won't have to bother.

I also disagree with the implied notion that there will be more worthy women than men. So many young men have died in war before they could marry. So many baby boys and little boys have died, females generally being healthier and heartier. I just think it will all work out to the happiness of every soul involved. Everyone will be taken care of and accounted for.

Some will certainly live polygamy, and I believe it will be only those who embrace it. Just recently we had a poster here hoping sincerely that a specific woman would be able to join her family in the next life. That's something that I certainly can't relate with, nor can my husband, but I don't worry about it like I used to. I think that there will be enough people open to it that those of us repulsed by it won't have to bother.

I agree with you, except for the "repulsed" part. If polygamy is an eternal principle, I believe we will not be "repulsed" by it, but embrace it joyfully.

When my younger sister learned where babies come from, she was so disgusted she yelled at our mother. She swore she would never do any such awful, disgusting thing. Her children prove her lack of resolve on that issue. What seemed awful and vomitous to her as a child turned out to be nothing of the sort when she was old enough to understand and appreciate what was going on. So will it be with us, if we find polygamy (or any other strange-seeming institution) to be a part of celestial life.

When the veil is removed from our minds and we can remember the old relationships we have had with the people around us, I wonder what type of impact that might have on our limited view of who is sealed to who. I do know that we are promised that every tear shall be wiped away and that all temple work will be completing or corrected with the Lord's help during the Millennial Reign.

As mentioned above many times, I do not know of any additional revelation on the matter. I just know we are promised that we will be happy.

It is confusing. I know this is a horribly standard answer, but I have long ago thrown up my hands and assumed Heavenly Father will sort it all out in the end.

One also must consider that EVERYONE will be sealed together. That may be leading to the idea of polygamy.

I'm waiting for one of the smart people on the board to provide a doctrine-based answer...

I agree with this response. There is the sealing as it relates to marriage but there is also the sealing as it relates to the promises given to Abraham and sealing power of Elijah.

Elder Hunter said in 1971: “Not only may baptisms be performed for the dead, but endowments; also sealings, by which wives become eternal companions to husbands and their children sealed to them as a family. The sealing of family units can be continued until the family of God is made perfect. This is the great work of the dispensation of the fulness of times. … The uniting and redemption of the family of God was the divine plan before the foundations of the earth were laid.”

The smaller unit sealings, i.e - marriage, is for the greater purpose which is the sealing and uniting of the family of God. That is the greater sealing, greater than marriage, that was the plan from the begging was the reuniting of the family of God as it was before we left, which is the sealing by the Holy Spirit of promise.

D&C 76 : " 53 And who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true.

54 They are they who are the church of the Firstborn.

55 They are they into whose hands the Father has given all things—"

I agree with you, except for the "repulsed" part. If polygamy is an eternal principle, I believe we will not be "repulsed" by it, but embrace it joyfully.

When my younger sister learned where babies come from, she was so disgusted she yelled at our mother. She swore she would never do any such awful, disgusting thing. Her children prove her lack of resolve on that issue. What seemed awful and vomitous to her as a child turned out to be nothing of the sort when she was old enough to understand and appreciate what was going on. So will it be with us, if we find polygamy (or any other strange-seeming institution) to be a part of celestial life.

Yes, I suppose that was a bad choice of words. Except that it's not a bad thing to be repulsed by it now. I used to feel ashamed of my strong feelings against polygamy, like I wasn't a good and righteous LDS woman if I couldn't feel good about it. But lots of praying and studying Jacob 2 helped me to understand that it's okay to feel that way right now, when Heavenly Father hasn't given us instructions to live it. Just like your sister was not in the wrong to be repulsed by sex. Except the difference to me is, your sister most certainly would have had that as a good and necessary part of her life, and I don't believe that I will likely ever be asked to live in a polygamous marriage out of any requirement or necessity.

It's something that Heavenly Father employs when there is a purpose and a need for those involved, and again, I think there will be plenty of people who are willing and even excited to live that way. My in-laws included. They love the idea of sister wives. I don't. I'm not repulsed by those who do, but I don't have a desire to ever join them. Of course this is The Gospel According to Eowyn, but I strongly feel that it's just not something I'll be doing, and that that won't jeopardize my salvation or cause me to miss out on anything (with the caveat that I would of course do my best to accept and embrace anything the Lord asks of me. . . I just don't believe He'll ask this of me).