Target open on thankgiving day?????

bcguy

I just shake my head.

Retail employees fight "Black Friday creep" - CNN.com

Now this is a little off topic, but discussed with corporate views of Christmas and wonder, what it would be like to spend time, in another country.

A few weeks ago, I came across a video of a family being filmed for there Christmas gathering. The country was the Netherlands. The event looked so peaceful that I wonder, if there are families in these countries interested in hosting foreigners from other countries as guest?

Has anyone heard of a program like this?

I just shake my head.

Retail employees fight "Black Friday creep" - CNN.com

Now this is a little off topic, but discussed with corporate views of Christmas and wonder, what it would be like to spend time, in another country.

A few weeks ago, I came across a video of a family being filmed for there Christmas gathering. The country was the Netherlands. The event looked so peaceful that I wonder, if there are families in these countries interested in hosting foreigners from other countries as guest?

Has anyone heard of a program like this?

I guess i have been working retail too long for this to get to me. I've worked Christmas day and thanksgiving day so many times that i don't even think of it. We don't really have black friday up here though it's slowly seeping in, but our boxing day is almost the same thing. I've gone in at 9 pm christmas night and worked til 8 or 9 pm on boxing day a few times. I've always just accepted it as part of the job even though i do miss the family stuff sometimes, though for the most part our family dinners run late so i get to the latter half. LOL i do always get amused by staff that gets upset about working those shifts or hours though. When we hire more so around this time of year we let people know what's expected before we let them sign up, and we let them know that if they try and get out of it they are gone just like that. I've lost track of how many employees i've fired over the " but i have plans, i can't work because of family things" during the holidays. Join the club we knew what we signed up for, deal with it or move on.

LOL i do always get amused by staff that gets upset about working those shifts or hours though. When we hire more so around this time of year we let people know what's expected before we let them sign up, and we let them know that if they try and get out of it they are gone just like that. I've lost track of how many employees i've fired over the " but i have plans, i can't work because of family things" during the holidays. Join the club we knew what we signed up for, deal with it or move on.

I do have something of an issue with working on holidays/making others work on holidays... is which is why I don't shop on those holidays or sign up for a job during the holiday rush to make extra Christmas money.

You either have to plan for working on holidays, or stay out of it altogether. No happy medium (though I imagine plenty of managers will try to be as fair as possible for right-on-the-holiday hours).

If people would not go to Target on Thanksgiving day, they would not do it in the future.

I think that's unlikely to happen however.

Decades ago I managed a Taco Bell and they tried being open on Thanksgiving, we made less than $50 in sales and paid out like $250 for labor. They never tried that again while I was there.

I do have something of an issue with working on holidays/making others work on holidays... is which is why I don't shop on those holidays or sign up for a job during the holiday rush to make extra Christmas money.

You either have to plan for working on holidays, or stay out of it altogether. No happy medium (though I imagine plenty of managers will try to be as fair as possible for right-on-the-holiday hours).

We had a conference call about a week ago with all our store managers for our district. It's a usual monday thing, i don't usually sit in on them any more being i'm just the assistant, but i had to do some paper work so i was listening as i worked. The district manager at the end of the call asks if anyone has anything they need help on. One of the manager said he needed help on boxing day because the mall his store is in is open to 9 pm and he has no staff willing to work that late due to family stuff and how much trouble he'd have working that late. The district manager was confused as to how this was an issue and me and my manager just looked at each other and laughed for a few minutes. My manager is the senior guy so he gets a lot of calls after the conference call and each of the other managers couldn't stop laughing over this. We all know boxing day is one of those " you know you are working so kinda just deal with it" days of the year, it's blacked out ( meaning can't request a shift or the day off), so while we had a certain amount of sympathy we really just couldn't understand how this manager hadn't already dealt with it with his staff.

My local Target will be starting their Black Friday deals at 9pm on Thanksgiving night. I'm all in favor of it. By then, the kids are in bed, dinner is over, and company is gone. It's much easier for me to go out at 9pm than it is at 3am. I suspect it's also a lot safer, as people aren't driving while half asleep.

I am 100% with Backroads on this. I'm all about individuals having choices. If the owners of target want to be open on Thanksgiving...bully for them. If no one shops there, then they probably won't do it again next year. If they make a profit, it will be open again next year. I simply won't be contributing to their profits on that day.

-RM

Here is something good..hope it spreads. Walmart employees plan a walk out on black friday.

Wal-Mart workers plan Black Friday walkout - Nov. 15, 2012

Year and years ago, I was working for a company that did security mostly for government both federal and provincial. Out of those contracts, were a small minority of private contacts. I was asked to do guard duty at a ware house gate. The task required me to check each truck, make sure its empty before entering, and check the paperwork. From what the other guards said, this is the walmart contractor warehouse. The job from what they said was the worse contract because they drive us like slaves. The work was hard to keep up with. We would check in and out 150-200 trucks in a eight hour day. Think about it, that is alot of trucks in a single hour. One of the employee who worked in the guard shack was constantly sick from the stress. A previous guard quit due to anxiety from the job. On the day before Halloween, our back Friday, the yard filled up with sooo many trucks all 300 of them! that they backed up to the guard shack. I was asked by one of the company employees to walk down the road and check the trucks in. I was originally trained to never leave my guard post so said no cannot do that. A truck driver had gotten sick and was told to continue to drive. he got out of his truck feel to the ground, vomited blood and was semi unconscious. This is capitalism as its worst!

It's okay with me if they plan a walk out. I don't go to Walmart on Black Friday. In fact I try to avoid Walmart as much as possible on every day.

I'm the same way. Sometimes I can't help but make a Wal-Mart run, but... it's generally against my principles.

I never participate in Black Friday. The crowds freak me out.

Though since many online retailers are trying to get competivie with Black Friday, I might hunt for online deals...