J. Golden Kimball Stories

Suzie

As most of you know, J. Golden Kimball was known as the "Swearing Apostle". Every time I read a story about him I laugh, he was witty with a great sense of humor. One of my favorite stories:

Another time, while in southern Utah to speak at a stake conference, he'd ditched his traveling companion and headed off to a local restaurant for lunch. He was eating - a cup of coffee at the ready - when his companion caught up with him.

Said his horrified and self-righteous companion: "Why Brother Kimball, I'd rather commit adultery than drink a cup of coffee!"

To which, J. Golden replied: "Who the hell wouldn't."

In an attempt to express respect for the St. George saints ability to survive in the harsh environment of Southern Utah, J. Golden said:

If I had a house in Hell and a house in St. George, I'd rent out the house in St. George and live in Hell. I really would.

A sister came up to J. Golden told stories of her two brothers, one very righteous and the other an apostate that drank, smoked, committed adultery and spoke all manners of evil against the church. Then she complained that the good brother had just died and that she couldn't understand why the Lord would take such a good man from the earth. J. Golden replied:

Apparently the Lord doesn't want that pain in the *** brother of yours around any more than you do.