What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

On 3/31/2018 at 9:46 AM, Carborendum said:

Two things:

Superman ducks because as part of his Clark Kent disguise, he's had to train himself to act like a human.  So, he needs to be "shocked" that someone is shooting at him.  He needs to blink when an object is coming near his eye.  He needs to duck/jump when an object goes near his body.

In the comics, WW is very nearly as strong and as invulnerable as Supes.  Batman once made the comment that if she ever went rogue, the only defense earth would have would be Superman.  But even then it might be an even fight because even though WW is not quite as strong as Superman, she is also the greatest melee fighter on the planet (and that would include Batman himself).

So, yes, if WW hit Superman, he would definitely feel it.

Bah!

Just finished the fourth season of Sherlock.  I really enjoyed the first three seasons.  I even enjoyed the first two installments of the fourth season.  But I think they actually jumped the shark with the final episode.

Basically, Season 1 setup the series and Moriarty as the bad guy.  Season 2 pitted them against each other.  And it came to a climax at the end of season 2 when you thought Moriarty had actually bested Sherlock.  Then in the most unexpected way, Sherlock comes through as the victor.  I think it should have ended there.  But it went on to Season 3.  It wasn't as good as Season 2.  But it was enjoyable.  They even added a new villain that pushed Sherlock to his limits.  Beyond, some might say.  i liked the series of twists in the last 20 minutes.

Season 4 went on to a couple of enjoyable episodes.  But when the final episode went through reveal after reveal after reveal it all seemed so contrived.  I can understand the excitement about learning more about Sherlock and meeting someone who would, and clearly does, best Sherlock to the point where he seems like a child by comparison (fitting).  But in the end, all the truth comes out and the villain's internal motivation was really self-contradictory.  The entire reason for trials turned out to be for naught because the answer was already there.  Yet the villain who was smarter than Sherlock couldn't figure it out.

That made no sense.

3 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

@Carborendum Agree with you on Sherlock. Disappointing. I wonder if Stranger Things will be similar. Wonder if the next series will hold up. Hard to find adult content for Lds people!

Yup.  I read that they're probably not going to have another series for quite a while.  The entire cast is all on board.  But their schedules are all clashing.  And no one wants to re-cast anybody.  And let's face it, you can't find anyone to replace Sherlock or John.  They're too perfect.  You could probably recast anyone else.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Avengers Infinity War

HATED IT!

Image result for audible gasp

I thought Marvel made you sign a statement before viewing the movie, that you promised to enjoy the capstone to eighteen movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Look at what came before it - you HAVE to like it!  Hating it would be the movie-viewers less-serious equivalent to denying the holy ghost!

Did all these movies come and do their part, just to die at the feet of Infinity War?  Did their witness mean nothing?

Iron Man (2008)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Thor (2011)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Ant-Man (2015)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Doctor Strange (2016)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Black Panther (2018)

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Image result for audible gasp

I thought Marvel made you sign a statement before viewing the movie, that you promised to enjoy the capstone to eighteen movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Look at what came before it - you HAVE to like it!  Hating it would be the movie-viewers less-serious equivalent to denying the holy ghost!

Did all these movies come and do their part, just to die at the feet of Infinity War?  Did their witness mean nothing?

Iron Man (2008)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Thor (2011)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Ant-Man (2015)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Doctor Strange (2016)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Black Panther (2018)

That's what's really making me sulk right now.  I'm sulking and crying and can't even concentrate on anything because I felt so betrayed.  10+ years of enjoying the MCU, having it a part of my family... all got stabbed in the heart within the first 5 minutes of Infinity War.  If I wasn't with my brother's family without a way to get home, I would have walked out of that movie after 5 minutes.  As it turned out, I had to sit there for 2 more hours sitting through all the crap.

Yes, yes... it's stupid to get so worked up over movies.  But, some people love this and that... my family love movies.  It's a "thing" for us.  We have Star Wars - which Disney is in the process of wrecking - and we have the MCU that is dead to me.  Sigh.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Iron Man (2008) -- Pretty Cool
The Incredible Hulk (2008) -- OK
Iron Man 2 (2010) -- Less impressive.
Thor (2011) -- Nice Intro to a character.  More than I anticipated.
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) -- Nice Intro to a character.  More than I anticipated.
Marvel's The Avengers (2012) -- Awesome.
Iron Man 3 (2013) -- Disappointing with a few highlights.
Thor: The Dark World (2013) -- Uhmmm... What did I just watch?
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) -- BEST MOVIE EVER.
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) -- Funny movie.  Nice action pic and date movie.
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) -- Disappointing.
Ant-Man (2015) -- Pretty funny.
Captain America: Civil War (2016) -- Pretty good.  But did not live up to the hype.
Doctor Strange (2016) -- Pretty Cool.  More than I anticipated.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) -- Pretty Cool
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) -- Really unimpressive
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) -- Funniest in the MCU and still had some good action sequences, etc.
Black Panther (2018) -- Haven't seen it yet.

Edited by Guest

A decade full of:
The movies
All the HISHE and Honest Trailers and fan content
Playlist insight from GotG (they're all love songs that involve distance)
Bathing in the DC fan tears as they endure Batman v. Superman + Justice League nonsense
Training up the next generation right by making these things family events

And now Anatess wanted to leave after 5 minutes?  I'm anxious.  We're seeing it in a week - I guess we better take two cars in case half the family wants to leave early.

Guest Godless

I'm seeing Infinity War on Friday. After years of buildup, I'm anxious to see how phase 3 ends. I'm also excited for the possibilities in store for phase 4. Captain Marvel has been confirmed. The Fox/Disney merger, if finalized, opens up possibilities for introducing the X-Men and Fantastic 4 into the MCU. So even if Infinity War is a miss (and I truly hope @anatess2 is wrong about that), I still see a lot to look forward to.

Also, I re-watched Star Wars TLJ today and HOW DID I MISS MOP KID AT THE END THE FIRST 2 TIMES I SAW THE MOVIE???

And now Anatess wanted to leave after 5 minutes?  I'm anxious.  We're seeing it in a week - I guess we better take two cars in case half the family wants to leave early.

With Anatess' review, I'm getting the feeling of The Phantom Menace.  The trailers were totally awesome.  But we saw the movie and . . .

I've seen at least two trailers for the movie that made it seem like the most awesome (I keep using that word, breathtaking, astonishing, magnificent?) movie ever.  So, I'm wondering if that was just a really good editor who created the trailers.

What I'm hearing is that it tends to shove too much information into the time allotted.  That makes it seem like it will "pull" sorta like the Harry Potter series did.

Edited by Guest

It will be different for everybody.  I don't want to say much because - spoilers.  But, Thor Ragnarok is my family's favorite MCU offering, Thor, Loki and Heimdall are in our top tier favorite MCU characters (Loki is my favorite in the universe - @Vort is going to say, huh, on that one) and whoever wrote Infinity War just basically threw Thor Ragnarok into the garbage chute within the first 5 minutes.

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

With Anatess' review, I'm getting the feeling of The Phantom Menace.  The trailers were totally awesome.  But we saw the movie and . . .

Well, after the disastrous opening, I spent 2 hours just getting irritated by little stupid things like... Captain America's beard.  See, that's another thing.  One of the things I love about Captain America is his apple pie character - and being clean-shaven is a big part of that.  And they have to destroy that too?  Good grief.

"Hype" (aka, advertising, trailers, pre-show marketing, etc) is usually a carefully managed thing.  Or, at least, not merely ignored and left to chance.  Movie makers understand opening night is big, they also understand reviews with the words "doesn't live up to the hype" can cost them millions.   

Marvel's Infinity war hype began, well, a decade ago with the post-credit scene of the first Iron Man.  Nick Fury talking about the Avengers.  Thanos and the Avengers have been fighting since the '70's, so we were clued in about the possibility early.  I'm ok with a movie that only makes sense if you've been paying attention for the last decade.  

Got fingers crossed.

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Well, after the disastrous opening, I spent 2 hours just getting irritated by little stupid things like... Captain America's beard.  See, that's another thing.  One of the things I love about Captain America is his apple pie character - and being clean-shaven is a big part of that.  And they have to destroy that too?  Good grief.

The screenwriters weren't the ones who ruined it.  The comics changed him into "Nomad" after the events of the Civil War story arc.  After the US government passed a law so "Un-American" he realized that the America he once knew was not the one he lived in anymore.  So, he could no longer hold onto the idea of being a "symbol of America."  So, he took on a new name and new style.  He was an independent man without a country -- hence "Nomad".