How much time do (and should) you spend studying scriptures?

Vort

I found this poll quite interesting, though not comprehensive enough to draw any conclusions from. The lowest bin, "0-5 hours per week", is uselessly large. It's like asking, "How old are you? 0-85, 86-100, 101-125, 126-180, 181+". There's a heck of a lot of difference between the person who does not study scriptures at all, the person who sets aside five minutes per day (or a little more than a half hour per week) to read scriptures, and the person who dedicates 40 minutes every day (or just under 5 hours per week) in scripture study -- yet all of these people are in the "0-5 hours per week" bin.

But however flawed the poll was, I find the question interesting. I noticed one person claimed 6-10 hours per week, or a minimum of almost an hour every day of scripture study, and two people claimed OVER 16 HOURS per week, or an average of MORE THAN TWO HOURS A DAY! That's a lot of time to study scriptures.

I'm afraid of putting people on the spot. Scripture study is a private area; some people have more time and/or inclination than others. I suspect that some people might actually do quite well on a good five-minute devotional reading every day, while others feel the need for ten, twenty, or perhaps sixty (or more) minutes of study in the scriptures.

If you're willing to open up about this, I would be interested to know how much time every day (or week) you spend reading scriptures, how much time you think you should read scriptures, and how much time you think is optimal to read scriptures.

For myself, I average probably fifteen to twenty minutes per day of scripture study, so approximately two hours a week. I think I should probably double that study time, somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes a day on average. I suspect roughly an hour a day is optimal; any more than that and you probably see more limited returns, less bang for your buck, as it were, on your study value. In fact, I find that with difficult or unfamiliar scripture (read: the Old Testament), especially poetry such as Job or the Psalms, even ten to fifteen minutes of solid concentration can be really hard.

I am the one person who mentioned studying 6-10 hours a week. I have a 30 minute ride to work and typically I seek to memorize scriptures while I am driving to work. As I am memorizing, I think upon the meaning of the verses. I would say I probably study roughly 45 minutes a day which is staggered time throughout the week. Some days I study for about 2 hours, while others I study for about 20 minutes. Two weeks ago I memorized "The Living Christ" while driving to work. I found that to be humbling and informative.

However, when I first returned home from my mission I had implemented a scripture study of 30 minutes in each book, and 30 minutes for studying gospel doctrine lessons. I was studying for about 3 hours a day, but ended about after one semester of college because I realized I needed to spend more time studying for school. Ha.

My study time includes my personal study, memorizing scripture, teaching my children from the scriptures, studying for lessons I am to give, family scripture study, and other opportunities throughout the week.

I would like to again establish an hour or more a day of scripture study, which would include Ensign, and other Church materials.

Edited by Anddenex

I don't do the "scheduled" study. I study when something goes in my head that I want to look into. Sometimes, the topic gets very difficult that I become obsessive about it, spending my entire waking moment outside of work and family on it. Sometimes, weeks pass by before I pick up a piece of scripture...

Our FHE is not always on scripture either. Sometimes, we just go out on a Monday night and watch a movie.

I'm in the 0-5 hours range. And like Anatess sometimes I binge on scripture when studying a particular topic. Other times (like now) I'm so busy studying how to help fix the results of neglect and abuse in young children that often I only get a verse or two read a day. Scripture study has become easier as my grandson gets older and we are able to teach him from the scriptures.

Getting a smart phone and the LDS Scripture app has helped a lot in the amount of time I spend.

Guest Doctrine

I started the poll, and I study the scriptures everyday for 3 hours. 1 hour in the morning before work and then two hours after work before I go to bed. I started doing that much study because I found that the more I studied the more the spirit talked with me. Also when I started the poll it was not just a way to see how many people studied but for those that felt they did not study enough to see that there where many people just like them. There was one other poll I did not bring up but today I will what calling do you have and how much scripture study do you do.

The answer to how much should you study I say 7 hours a week 1 hour a day min.

Edited by Doctrine

I was also in the 0-5 range. And I'm like Anatess and applepansy in that usually it's when I'm researching something. Now how much do I think I should be? I remember a talk in general conference (I can't remember now who it was) that suggested even 15 minutes a day is worth it. The talk mentioned it's not how much time you spend but that you do spend time. So I probably should start out with that as a goal and work from there.

I started the poll, and I study the scriptures everyday for 3 hours. 1 hour in the morning before work and then two hours after work before I got to bed. I started doing that much study because I found that the more I studied the more the spirit talked with me. Also when I started the poll it was not just a way to see how many people studied but for those that felt they did not study enough to see that there where many people just like them. There was one other poll I did not bring up but today I will what calling do you have and how much scripture study do you do.

The answer to how much should you study I say 7 hours a week 1 hour a day min.

The problem I see with these polls is that it makes scripture study a statistic... oh, you only studied for 0-5 hours a week, you son of perdition... and, oh you read your scriptures for 160 hours a week, you must be a spit away from celestial glory...

I don't subscribe to the... you must spend 1 hour reading your scriptures every day deals. Scripture study, for me, is a STUDY. Sometimes, my brain is too muddled to study, sometimes I can study for 15 minutes and be satisfied that I learned what I needed to learn, sometimes I study for days and still be confused so I study some more. I don't read the scriptures just for the sake of ticking that box of... "and God sayeth to... " oh look at the time, 1-hour. Done.

And when you have kids... we end up studying scriptures at the most obscure moments of the most surprising topics... like when going through the self-checkout at Wal-mart and my kids argue over where in the scriptures does it say that you must find the correct PLU for the specific type of grape that is being scanned and not just pick the first PLU that says grape... that led to a scripture study at the parking lot of Wal-mart on all things related to honesty and... grapes.

And then there's the out-of-the-blue questions of, "Mom, what are the names of the 3 Kings?" or "Mom, are the 2 people crucified with Jesus, thieves, murderers, or both?" or, "Mom, if I pray as hard as I could, can I bleed from my pores?" or... this one from today, "Mom, what does the prophet say about evolution of the species?". All questions that led to us poring over scriptures.

Edited by anatess

I also don't think there is a right or wrong answer on how much time an individual should spend. As long as they are taking the time to read is the important thing. Each individual varies on their ability to read for long periods, attention spans, and other factors.

Vort, I study the scriptures about the same amount as you, give or take a little. My goal is to read the scriptures every single day without fail. Usually, I read a chapter or two. Some evenings only one. I do not set a time limit on it. There are some days, when life is so hectic (watching my grandkids), that I only get one verse read. There are other days when I'm studying a certain topic, and can spend several hours reading them. My husband and I, (ever since he got his iPad,) spend about 10 minutes together, most nights, listening/reading along. We were very sporadic in reading our scriptures together in the past. I'm so appreciative that he wants to do scripture study together now. It means a lot to me.

I once had my cousin's husband ask me how many times I had read the Book of Mormon. I didn't have an exact count. He could tell me exactly how many times he had read it, (8 times), and I sort of got the impression that he was feeling rather superior about it. He later left the church. So, even though he was reading his scriptures, it didn't help him stay in the church. After contemplating on this, I came to the conclusion, that scripture study should be done with a humble attitude, which will allow the Spirit to speak to our minds, which can help strengthen and enlighten us.

Guest Doctrine

To anatess

I am sorry if you thought my opinion matters, it mostly does not. Lol. The way I worship The Lord and the way I worship The Lord is just that, my way. And you must find your way.

I love the scriptures, even to the point I went to school for 7 years for biblical studies, I don't think everyone needs to be a scripture master, because if they were, then I would not be so unique.

Also my favorite Bom toon was he one where a young man was reading the scriptures and his father came in the room and ask what are you doing, who taught you how to do that. And the young man said I learned it from you, I learned it from you.

Three kings names. Melchior ,Caspar , Balthazar

Not found in the scriptures but something I learned when I was catholic.

Edited by Doctrine

Guest Doctrine

Doctrine I think it's wonderful that you spend so much time studying and reading the scriptures.

Thank you.

I said this before but it is something worth saying again, when I read the scriptures I feel the spirit stronger and many ideas rush thru me, That is why I love them. Plus I like to look at the scriptures as a detective book that has many, many, hidden truths and fact and teachings just waiting for us to uncover. If we just know where to look.

I also am very happy about the new set of scriptures coming out in aug because it gives me a excuse to buy a new set and start over wear out a new set.

I told my scripture formula before. But I'll share it again.

Pray

Study

Ponder

Pray

Apply

Testify

I feel all these things are needed to understand god and ourselves, but after the study is done it time to apply the teachings and then teach others.

All the time we spend in study is nothing if we don't apply it or share it with others.

And my poll, I feel has served just that a fire to cause us all to really look at what we are doing and where we are going.

P.s. this weekend everyone get 10 free hours of scripture study. Lol.

To anatess

I am sorry if you thought my opinion matters, it mostly does not. Lol. The way I worship The Lord and the way I worship The Lord is just that, my way. And you must find your way.

I love the scriptures, even to the point I went to school for 7 years for biblical studies, I don't think everyone needs to be a scripture master, because if they were, then I would not be so unique.

Also my favorite Bom toon was he one where a young man was reading the scriptures and his father came in the room and ask what are you doing, who taught you how to do that. And the young man said I learned it from you, I learned it from you.

Three kings names. Melchior ,Caspar , Balthazar

Not found in the scriptures but something I learned when I was catholic.

With a name like Doctrine, of course your opinion matters. :)

Yes, yes... The names of the Magi are in Nativity Sets. Lol. My uncles are named after them, hence the questions. These types of scripture study is the best ones in my house. When we get to follow the scripture rabbit hole from one simple, often off-the-wall question.

Guest Doctrine

With a name like Doctrine, of course your opinion matters. :)

Yes, yes... The names of the Magi are in Nativity Sets. Lol. My uncles are named after them, hence the questions. These types of scripture study is the best ones in my house. When we get to follow the scripture rabbit hole from one simple, often off-the-wall question.

In my home we love the rabbit hole questions as well. You can have great conversations about them. Also I have always loved scripture trivia and we have rod of iron challenge and the winner gets there name on the wall of champions, ( a little secret, I let others win so it does not look like.

Doctrine

Doctrine

Doctrine

Doctrine

Doctrine

Doctrine

Ect.

You get the picture.

Also my favorite question I got from a very smart 11 year old was if Noah only took thvanimals two by two then which animals did dont we have since he sacrifice some, I said the unicorns. Then gave him the real answer 2 by 2 and 7 by 7

I have appreciated these words from Elder Bednar regarding scripture study:

"Through normal activity each day, you and I lose a substantial amount of the water that constitutes so much of our physical bodies. Thirst is a demand by the cells of the body for water, and the water in our bodies must be replenished daily. It frankly does not make sense to occasionally “fill up” with water, with long periods of dehydration in between. The same thing is true spiritually. Spiritual thirst is a need for living water. A constant flow of living water is far superior to sporadic sipping.

"Are you and I daily reading, studying, and searching the scriptures in a way that enables us to hold fast to the rod of iron—or are you and I merely clinging? Are you and I pressing forward toward the fountain of living waters—relying upon the word of God? These are important questions for each of us to ponder prayerfully."

One major problem of this poll is that it doesn’t ask if your scripture study is homework for school, or a part of your job, as a church leader/teacher. I would be curious to see if there is a time gap between people that study “just because they want to” and people that “need” to do scripture study.

Guest Doctrine

One major problem of this poll is that it doesn’t ask if your scripture study is homework for school, or a part of your job, as a church leader/teacher. I would be curious to see if there is a time gap between people that study “just because they want to” and people that “need” to do scripture study.

Good question. I had for one started with a want to read then I went to a need then back to a want. Lol.

Last night in priesthood monson asked us to read and then the heavens will be open to us, he quoted my favorite scripture for study, alma 17:2-3. And I really loved the feeling I got as he spoke those words.

Also one of my favorite scripture chains is alma 17:2-3,alma 26:22.

If you're willing to open up about this, I would be interested to know how much time every day (or week) you spend reading scriptures, how much time you think you should read scriptures, and how much time you think is optimal to read scriptures.

We read our scriptures as a family at night, before or after dinner together. We don't have a time limit. We read until we get to the next chapter or a change in thought or action within a chapter if it is a really long chapter. I have two children, so we spend a lot of time asking and answering questions. So, if I say that when we read together we can take between 30 to 45 minutes, it is not solid reading. There is plenty of discussion throughout. We are not perfect, though. There are nights that we miss occasionally. I also read scriptures to prepare for my Valiant class, and I read the lesson for Relief Society/Priesthood and any attached scriptures to that lesson. I also study the scriptures by topic--based on what is puzzling me or intriguing me at the time, and it is not necessarily daily. I don't know how much time I take personally. I guess it varies greatly from day to day and week to week.

Personally, I think that the Spirit should be used to determine how often/much an individual or family should read/study. What works for one, may not work for another. I like reading the Book of Mormon verse by verse with my family, but as an individual, I like to study Church manuals and study the associated scripture to the manuals, and I like to study the scriptures by topic following the scripture "chains" within the footnotes. The two different styles of studying in my life work for me, but it may not be ideal for another.

• 3 months later...

I found this quote during my study and thought y'all might find it interesting. It is from the Oct 1979 General Conference and was said by Howard W. Hunter who was then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Here is a link to the talk. Below is the quote.

"It would be ideal if an hour could be spent each day; but if that much cannot be had, a half hour on a regular basis would result in substantial accomplishment. A quarter of an hour is little time, but it is surprising how much enlightenment and knowledge can be acquired in a subject so meaningful. The important thing is to allow nothing else to ever interfere with our study."

Guest NoraSariah

It varies daily for me. I listen to General Conference talks to and from work, and study Scriptures during my breaks and lunches. It helps if I listen to the Scriptures as I get ready for my day, really puts me in the right mindset. I try to study half an hour a day, but some days all I can get in are those few minutes a day during work breaks.

I can honestly say that I don't do enough scripture reading. I probably read scripture a few times a week though I try to take my quad with me to work and have access to scriptures on the web. I know that I read church related material and watch the Mormon Channel videos more than listening or reading the scriptures.

I believe I should be reading at least an hour daily. It should be broken up with 20-30 minutes in the morning and at least the same amount in the evening. It should correlate with prayer. I meet with missionaries at least weekly and used to meet with the senior missionaries at least weekly or biweekly. Both I have done for over a year. I am a recent convert, next month is my one year anniversary of my baptism. So during those times, I may have done more scripture reading but never paid attention to the amount of time.

I read the Bible front to back when I was 15 and now I can say that I have read the Book of Mormon front to back. I know I need to start both over.

I don't do scripture study but that's something I'll need to get to. Growing up though, the family read scriptures after dinner, everyone took a turn to read a chapter and then we discussed it. That might be what DH and I need to do to transition into some kind of routine.

since right now I work in the fields, I don't get much reading done outside work, so I bring the BOM with me, wrapped in a bag. I've had it for less then 2 weeks now and am up to I think page 75, I donno if that's good with the half hour here and there I get to read...the missionaries were impressed

since right now I work in the fields, I don't get much reading done outside work, so I bring the BOM with me, wrapped in a bag. I've had it for less then 2 weeks now and am up to I think page 75, I donno if that's good with the half hour here and there I get to read...the missionaries were impressed

Yet you seem to be able to find lots of time to spend on lds.net. :P