1830 Book of Mormon is it still scripture?

Guest Doctrine

Is the 1830 Book of Mormon still scripture?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 1830 Book of Mormon still scripture?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Guest Doctrine

So a few friends and I, have been discussing if the 1830 Book of Mormon is still scripture, since a few updates have been added since the original.

What is your answer?

Guest Doctrine

No one who believes the current Book of Mormon is holy scripture is going to say the original published version is not.

That is very true, maybe the question should be, does the 1830 Book of Mormon out rank the 2013 edition when it comes to church doctrine.

Example 1830 edition " that you may parish "

2013 edition. " that you parish"

The word "may" leaves room for hope.

I have checked all the book of mormons that I have, from other mormon groups,

Lds

Temple lot.

Rlds - cofc

1830 edition

All have the word " may" but the lds edition, I am not saying we are wrong or anything of that matter I just found that interesting, and wondered what others thought.

1830 top of pg 28, 2013 edition 1 nephi 12: 17.

That wasn't a 2013 change, my copy printed in 2008, it is the 1981 edition I believe. It doesn't have the word 'may' in that verse either. I do notice almost all changes to the Book of Mormon that I know of, have been to restore it to be consistent with discovered original manuscripts or subsequent errors found by Joseph Smith (Like in the 1840 edition). I wonder if the 'may' in question is one of those.

edit: A quick google search reveals we do have original manuscripts for that verse.

Edited by jerome1232

So, human fallible folks wrote stuff down, as best they could, given their human fallible condition. Later, another fallible human abridged the other fallible human writings. A long time after that, another fallible human dug up the writings, and, through the power of God, translated it into English. Here's how the translation worked:

* God put thoughts or words into the mind of Joseph.

* Joseph tried to move the thoughts out of his mouth as best he could. (Did he ever make any mistakes? Probably.)

* Scribes tried to hear the words as best they could, and tried to write them down as best they could. (Did he ever make any mistakes? We're sure of it - we can point to some of them in the extant original documents.)

* Later, someone else took the original manuscripts and copied them into a printer's manuscript. (Mistakes crept in here too, as well as attempts to correct earlier mistakes.)

* The printer took the printer's manuscript, and used it to set type, and start printing. (Mistakes and corrections here too - if you take the first book from the first printing, and the last book from the first printing, you can spot differences.)

* The imperfect and error-prone typesetting process continued every time they ran a new print run.

* We humans added chapter and verse numbering later.

If people are going to get all conversational about a certain change between the first edition and the current online stuff, they might as well start the conversation at step one, with the original fallible, error-prone, human author.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

A brief textual history of the English BoM:

1830: First edition, Palmyra

1837: Kirtland edition, with edits made by Joseph Smith

1840: Nauvoo edition, with additional edits made by Joseph Smith

1841: Liverpool edition, printed under supervision of the 12 during their British mission, based off of 1837 edition (the 1840 edition wasn't out yet when the Apostles left for Britain).

What with the move west, Great Britain remained the center of the Utah Church's publishing efforts for a couple of decades. All future Utah LDS editions of the Book of Mormon were based on that 1841 Liverpool edition, which in turn was based on the 1837 edition which had some, but not all, of Smith's edits to the 1830 edition. The 1981 LDS edition incorporated many--but apparently not all--of the changes made in the 1840 Nauvoo edition.

Meanwhile, the Restorationist branches that never accepted Young's leadership (primarily the CoC) were basing their editions off of the 1840 Nauvoo edition all along.

That is very true, maybe the question should be, does the 1830 Book of Mormon out rank the 2013 edition when it comes to church doctrine.

No. Clearly, the most recent edition published by the Church is the canonical edition.

Guest Doctrine

No. Clearly, the most recent edition published by the Church is the canonical edition.

Interesting.

One of the things I like to do is find a change in our scriptures and find out why.

Just like the Abraham 1:3 change from " our first father" to " or first father"

• 3 weeks later...