I Am A Daughter Of Zion

Guest Yediyd

Guest Yediyd

I've had this idea for a topic for a few days now...but have been trepiditious about it because of all the anti crap about us LDS not being Christians. Of course we are Christians...but honestly...I prefer to be called a daughter of Zion.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. People not of my faith call me a Mormon.

I don't take offence to this term, though it is incorrect. I am a follower of Jesus Christ, not Mormon; however, I would rather be erroneously called a mormon than correctly termed a Christian. (I expect you antis to have a field day with that one!) My reason? The term "Christian" should mean: follower of Christ, yet so meny millions of so-called Christians wrap their beliefs around hatred and intolerance. Instead of following the TRUE teachings of Christ, they choose to harden thier hearts to his message of love and acceptance forALL mankind, openly displaying hatred for the very people who gave us the Christ.

Christians who hate Jews deny the Jewishness of the Messiah. They have made Jesus a Gentile, one of themselves. For centuries, Jews have known almost nothing about Jesus and because of hatred from Gentiles who call themselves Christians, have wanted to know even less. Not all of us have forgotten that we Gentiles are merely branches grafted onto the root and trunk of Judaism. We Gentiles who were grafted in do NOT replace the original branches. We, as Christians wear the nme of the greatest Jew who ever lived, and yet still in meny a small mind...the Jews are Christ killers.

These Jew haters have fogotten their roots. The Bible they supposedly love was written ENTIRELY by the people they hate! So too, was my beloved Book of Mormon. God's light shines through his word, and his word came to us through his people who were so chosen to be a light to the rest of us. The way, the truth, and the life grow out of the covenant God made with Abraham.From the seed of Abraham, all the nations of the world were blessed.

I consider myself an Israelite.

I would even go so far as to consider myself a Jew, inaccurate technically, but substantially it would apply, in my feeling.

I consider myself an heir to all of the covenants, and the promises thereof, as recorded in the Old Testament (both before and after Jacob/ Israel). The law of Moses was actually a small (okay, medium sized) chapter in the story of God's covenant people (a chapter that is over, even for Jews, since the central obedience and godly power generating act were the sacrifices and they are no longer done -- as is appropriate, but still -- why do the rest with out this? I know, I know, rembrance and heritage.)

I've had this idea for a topic for a few days now...but have been trepiditious about it because of all the anti crap about us LDS not being Christians. Of course we are Christians...but honestly...I prefer to be called a daughter of Zion.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. People not of my faith call me a Mormon.

I don't take offence to this term, though it is incorrect. I am a follower of Jesus Christ, not Mormon; however, I would rather be erroneously called a mormon than correctly termed a Christian. (I expect you antis to have a field day with that one!) My reason? The term "Christian" should mean: follower of Christ, yet so meny millions of so-called Christians wrap their beliefs around hatred and intolerance. Instead of following the TRUE teachings of Christ, they choose to harden thier hearts to his message of love and acceptance forALL mankind, openly displaying hatred for the very people who gave us the Christ.

Christians who hate Jews deny the Jewishness of the Messiah. They have made Jesus a Gentile, one of themselves. For centuries, Jews have known almost nothing about Jesus and because of hatred from Gentiles who call themselves Christians, have wanted to know even less. Not all of us have forgotten that we Gentiles are merely branches grafted onto the root and trunk of Judaism. We Gentiles who were grafted in do NOT replace the original branches. We, as Christians wear the nme of the greatest Jew who ever lived, and yet still in meny a small mind...the Jews are Christ killers.

These Jew haters have fogotten their roots. The Bible they supposedly love was written ENTIRELY by the people they hate! So too, was my beloved Book of Mormon. God's light shines through his word, and his word came to us through his people who were so chosen to be a light to the rest of us. The way, the truth, and the life grow out of the covenant God made with Abraham.From the seed of Abraham, all the nations of the world were blessed.

If you weren't older than me I'd marry you. lol

You brought up some awesome points. Heck my friend is a descendant from the tribe of Judah. That makes him a jew lol.

I have had so many good friends who were Jewish. They have a great sence of pride aswell. I just wish they believed in there savior. Aghh oh well. What can ya do.

we believe that we have ancestry from the tribe of Judah. Also, my wife definitely has tribe of Judah. And some Ishmael.

wanna know something weird? Many refer to the other tribes as Jews too. Levites, Josephites, I have even heard antis say that Mormons believe ancient jews went to America.

my friend is a jewish convert. He still starts his sabbath on Saturday night at sundown, and ends it sunday night at sundown, lights a minorah, etc. His bishop doesn't mind. I asked my institute teacher about it, and he said, interestly enough, the tradition of the jews does not go against what we believe as Mormons. their beliefs are off. Jesus not messiah, animal sacrifice, etc, but thier tradition can still be practiced.

Shrug FWIW

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

Vinny -- what does yedi being older than you have to do with whether or not you marry her? :rockonsign:

But isn't Vinny fifteen years old? :dontknow:

Yeah, he's like two years older than my son! :wacko:

... But if you were 30 years older, I'd marry you too, Vinny!!!!! :D

Can you give a LDS interpretation of daughter of Zion? Although I have heard this many times, I am not exactly sure what it means.

My interpritation? I am a daughter of the covenent. Zion is God's Holy city, I am a part of that promise.

By way of information, most evangelicals and even fundamentalists, are not Jew-haters. In fact, the pendulum has swung completely. Most pray for the peace of Jerusalem, believe that God still has a special covenant with the Jews, and that during the Great Tribulation, Israel will convert en masse to Christianity.

There are some Christians who tout that they are "New Testament believers." However, I love to point out that the New Testament believers only had the Old Testament to go by. Me, I want the whole thing. :-)

my friend is a jewish convert. He still starts his sabbath on Saturday night at sundown, and ends it sunday night at sundown, lights a minorah, etc. His bishop doesn't mind. I asked my institute teacher about it, and he said, interestly enough, the tradition of the jews does not go against what we believe as Mormons. their beliefs are off. Jesus not messiah, animal sacrifice, etc, but thier tradition can still be practiced.

Shrug FWIW

I'm LDS never really called myself Christian, not sure I want to be Christian, since I was a small child it has always felt like a big title one only the Lord himself can bestow after a life lived for him.

I'm not Jewish but we do something similar start our Sabbath Saturday evening with a candlelit special meal and say a blessing on the family, we end it on Sunday before we go to bed again with an extra special family prayer, a scripture story and tuna crackers lol - I think its good to have something for the kids that says the sabbath starts here. I use a lot of stuff from other traditions for example we have a prayer space in the home, I use a wonderful meditation I was taught by a druid to enrich my temple experience, if I am struggling to pray I cover my head helps me concerntrate.

Charley

Just think other religions can teach us ways to enrich our experience as a Latter Day Saint

Though I don't know exactly what it is, my Israelite heritage (at least two tribes--one named in my PB, the other known from genealogical records) seems to show, as more than one person has asked me if I'm Jewish. Both LDS and non-LDS have asked me this, and when I asked why they asked, nobody can quite put their finger on it. One guy said I just "look Jewish" (whatever that means!), and another said I have a "Jewish manner" (whatever that means!).

However, I do prefer to be called a Christian because Christ is the most important person in my life. But seeing as how the Children of Israel (or of Zion) are His people, that works for me, too. :) "Christians" who hate Jews (or anybody else, for that matter) clearly do not understand their own God's message.

Dror

Though I don't know exactly what it is, my Israelite heritage (at least two tribes--one named in my PB, the other known from genealogical records) seems to show, as more than one person has asked me if I'm Jewish. Both LDS and non-LDS have asked me this, and when I asked why they asked, nobody can quite put their finger on it. One guy said I just "look Jewish" (whatever that means!), and another said I have a "Jewish manner" (whatever that means!).

I have dark hair and eyes and olive type skin and my children are Elana and Gabriel I get the same comments often asked am I jewish - but then I get mistaken for an Arab at airports if I have been in the sun which can be less fun my husband didn;t help with his long hair and bushy beard he looked like a muslim cleric he got quizzed for half an hour on his visit to Amsterdam (didn't believe it consisted of 3 hours in an airport lol)

Charley

Guest Yediyd

However, I do prefer to be called a Christian because Christ is the most important person in my life. But seeing as how the Children of Israel (or of Zion) are His people, that works for me, too. :) "Christians" who hate Jews (or anybody else, for that matter) clearly do not understand their own God's message.

Dror

I've run into this too, Dror...I am fair skinned, with blue eyes and freckels...but when I talk about my love of Jewis culture or desire to learn Hebrew I get some "interesting" responces! That and what I know my Jewish friends have endured enspired what I wrote at the start of this thread.

Interesting thought about Jews & Christianity and LDS: Orthodox Judaism is adamant that a Jew who becomes a Christian of any kind, is no longer a Jew. S/he has turned away from God's covenant, and is worse than an atheist, having chased after foreign gods. The idea of a "Messianic Jew" is so completely abhorrent to them, that many accuse such groups of "spiritual genocide."

Some Jewish believers in Christ have taken to calling themselves "Completed Jews." The idea is that they not only follow the Jewish faith, they have found the promised Messiah, and so have seen the completion of the Messianic prophecies.

Does anyone else see parallels between the Orthodox Jewish vs. Messianic Jewish communities, and what sometimes takes place between non-LDS and LDS discussions about who is Christian and how it gets defined?

Guest Yediyd

LOL I forgot about this thread. Ya Im 16 years old. Though Yediyd I have an aunt who has a husband who is 11 years older than her.

LOL.

Honey, I'm 30 years older than you...but it's all good. :)

Does anyone else see parallels between the Orthodox Jewish vs. Messianic Jewish communities, and what sometimes takes place between non-LDS and LDS discussions about who is Christian and how it gets defined?

Yep, there's a pretty clear and interesting parallel. One group clings to one testament while the other adds a "new testament" to the old, etc...

I have dark hair and eyes and olive type skin and my children are Elana and Gabriel I get the same comments often asked am I jewish - but then I get mistaken for an Arab at airports if I have been in the sun which can be less fun my husband didn;t help with his long hair and bushy beard he looked like a muslim cleric he got quizzed for half an hour on his visit to Amsterdam (didn't believe it consisted of 3 hours in an airport lol)

Charley

LOL! For a while my dad wore a full beard, and we'd joke that he'd better be careful lest people mistake him for a terrorist. Thankfully he shaved the thing off (he was always clean-shaven when I was a kid, so he looks more familiar to me that way).