Principle of compensation

Elder Wirthlin talked about the principle of compensation in his wonderful talk, "Come What May, and Love It", given in the October 2008 conference. Here's a portion:

The third thing we can do is understand the principle of compensation. The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. 

How have you seen this happen in your life?

I've seen it so many times. Just this weekend, I was missing my dad terribly. The holidays are hard. I miss having an earthly father around.

Today in Sunday school, an unusual number of our high priest group commented on the lesson. Many of the comments were things my dad lived and taught (about charity, and finding Christ in places where we serve). After that meeting, I was playing prelude in Young Women's and one older man who I always thought had a manner similar to my dad's stepped into the YW room and said a few kind words to me. I'm sure he didn't even know why he'd feel compelled to do that. 

There will never be a replacement for my dad, but I'm happy that there are good men around who faithfully hold their priesthood and follow promptings to do the Lord's errand. I'm thankful that Heavenly Father knew I needed that message, in that way. 

Edited by Eowyn

Hm.  I've lost both parents.  Reflecting here, I never thought about compensation before.  I've been not faithful for a bunch of years, and faithful for a bunch of years.  Looking back, about the only thing that changed for me from unfaithful to faithful, is my perspective on what was happening and why.

Not faithful perspective: They're dead and gone.  Maybe heaven exists and maybe it doesn't.  Maybe I'll see them again, maybe I won't.  This happens, time to go live life.  I'm grieving and anxious.

Faithful perspective: They're not gone - they're just where I can't see them for a while.  I was able to do my dad's temple work.  My mom now exists in a state where she's free from the depressing weight of her horrible body that didn't work right, and her ill-functioning brain.  I'm filled with joy and comfort. 

Never thought about the aspect of "compensation".  I guess it fits, kind of.

I'm sorry you've lost them both, NT. That's hard to imagine. I think we're close to the same age, and I just feel like it's too young to lose one parent, let alone two. (I know younger people do, but it's still rough.) 

The first thought that comes to me is that I lost my childhood through sexual abuse.  I was a very miserable kid and went on to be a very miserable adult.  My compensation has been the atonement removing that pain and giving me a unique perspective on life, and the ability to empathize with other victims of abuse.  One of my gifts is the ability to talk, to persuade, to counsel and those gifts have been enhanced because of my childhood.  Often, I can find something to say to someone who is dealing with depression and PTSD because of their own abusive childhood.  I think of this as a precious gift.

I have the kind of job in which people call me up from time to time and ask for my advice. A woman who had been mistreated at work about a decade ago called to tell me that she could not get over the mistreatment @ work. I felt like telling her, "have I got a church for you! Who has time to ruminate on old wounds when you have so much to do! The list of things we are doing, meant to be doing is vast on a day to day basis.

On the level of "good, better, best", the law of compensation, for me, is on the bottom rung of any motivation that I may have to live the Gospel principles.

For example, we would all agree, I suppose, that living the law of tithing would be accompanied with a spirit of rejoicing rather than bean counting.  This is demonstrated by the absurdity that tithing is like fire insurance.  Heaven spare us all from such spiritual twinkies.

Edited by cdowis

To be honest I've never heard this before.  And I guess I wasn't paying attention during that General Conference.  What I have heard is the common saying that "whenever the Lord closes a door, he opens a window".

But looking at it in terms of compensation, I'm not sure if is like we would normally think of it -- like a bank account.  How can it?  You lose a loved on and... you get another one?  That doesn't work out in the arithmetic of the heart or soul.

Instead, I believe (without having read the entire talk) that the quote in the OP is more about understanding that no matter what happens, things will work out.

I'll give you a financial/career example from my life.

I sold my first house at about a $100k profit.

I sold my next house at about a $150k loss.

I lost my job during that losing sale.  And I had to move to a new state.

The loss of my job changed who I was and much of my outlook on life.

Moving to a new state greatly changed my career path.

My career has been greatly blessed by this new path and the new outlook on life.

I now find myself in great demand in a declining market where others in my field are struggling to keep their jobs or get an interview for a new one.

I never would have moved if I hadn't been forced to sell my house when I did (at a great loss).

So there is some financial compensation.  But the peculiar thing is that the losses that occurred in one area blessed my life in others.  

Edited by Guest

It's not a motivation for living the gospel, but something I am thankful for. A blessing from a loving Father.

And it's not the law of replacement, but of compensation. Like I said, no one and nothing can ever replace my dad. But in loving The Lord and attending church, I am not left without good priesthood holders around me, or men of wisdom and experience, should I need them.