have any of you had a child in your 40's?

summer

I wouldn't care about any societal feelings for having a baby after age 40. I would be concerned about my own health, the health of the baby, and that when that baby is an adult, I'll be getting on in years and likely have to rely on that child to care for me.  I am not sure I could handle the physical parts of being pregnant at age 40 nor the physical requirements of caring for a baby and toddler in my 40's or 50's. 

I don't care if I would feel out of place around new mothers who are in their 20s. Friends are friends whether in the same stage of life as I or not. 

18 minutes ago, summer said:

Is 40 something too old to have another baby? Especially with all of the young LDS moms I wonder how out of place I would feel?

No, not if your dr and you decide that it is safe to do. Pregnancies can be higher risk for someone in their 40's, but if your up for it go for it.

I'm 52 and my youngest is 12, so I hit your question on the head (only from the dude perspective).  It's young enough that when they reach their milestones you still as, "Where'd the time go?  Weren't you a toddler last week?"  Females may feel a little more pressure than us dudes, but people are pushing well into their 40s for childbearing these days.

• 6 months later...

Pffft my next daughter will be born when I'm 43.  We also tentatively hope to have one more after that.  (My wife is about 10 years younger than I.) 

Out of place?  Hah.  I'm a Mormon with 6 kids and live in a state consisting mostly of Catholics.  I'm as average as it gets in that department.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Honestly curious here... How so? Just harder to chase the youngsters with arthritis in the knees?

Yes, and just keeping up in general when your body chemistry sort of slows you down. Having children in your 40s doesn't so much keep you young as force you to keep acting like you're young.

Guest LiterateParakeet
5 hours ago, Vort said:

Yes, and just keeping up in general when your body chemistry sort of slows you down. Having children in your 40s doesn't so much keep you young as force you to keep acting like you're young.

LOL, so true. I had my last child when I was 40, and I agree. :)