Best Post-Election Reaction

Windseeker

What's the best post election reaction you've seen so far?

A friend from High School who is busy planning her mansion that's soon to be built in Portland Oregon posted this - 

My heart is broken today. For Muslims, for Immigrants, for Women, for Disabled, for LGBTQ folk, for All POC, and for everyone who's identity has been invalidated and who is scared to live in a world where this is the election's outcome.

My son just texted me that some guy tried to beat him up at school this morning because he wore his Make America Great Again cap.  His jiu-jitsu skills came in handy once again (can't say enough about the advantages of martial arts training for kids).  What makes it the best post election reaction?  The school administration defended my son and did not issue him a suspension as is the expected outcome of this newfangled zero-tolerance school policy... where attacker and defender both get equal suspension.  The world is right-side-up again.

Given how many people held strong negatively views towards both candidates, I'm starting to feel a bit apologetic to the American people that I decided not to run :) i don't think I would have been disliked as much as the two main candidates were. 

4 hours ago, Windseeker said:

A friend from High School who is busy planning her mansion that's soon to be built in Portland Oregon posted this - 

Le sigh.  This reaction I don't get.  How does who has been elected President "invalid" your identity. Who I am, what I believe in etc. isn't tied to who is elected President . . .

32 minutes ago, yjacket said:

Le sigh.  This reaction I don't get.  How does who has been elected President "invalid" your identity. Who I am, what I believe in etc. isn't tied to who is elected President . . .

grasping at straws???  No idea. 

My personal favorite was someone trying to cheer his friend:

"C'mon guy... it's not like Trump is going to move into the White House or something. Can you see Trump living in public housing being vacated by a black family? C'mon..." 

Yes, it's horrible. It continues the absurdity of the election being racially biased. 

But doggone it, I laughed! 

I have some extended family in Portland, the epitome of socially liberal places. One of the high school kids in my family said that two of the teachers were crying in class. At first I thought it was a little funny, then I realized how sad it is that people put all of their trust in a person, who can easily disappoint. I'm glad my trust is in God because he'll never let me down.

Guest Godless

I just ran into this article, which is great because it'll save me a bit of typing here. In short, many of the women in my life are hurting pretty badly this week, including some right-of-center LDS family members. This isn't about our candidate losing (many of us weren't overly fond of Hillary). We've lost elections before. It stings, but life goes on. This election result brings with it a unique pain in the fact that half of Americans knew the toxicity of the man they were voting for and voted for him anyway. They told women that a man can ridicule them, say vulgar things about them, and flippantly condone sexual assault and still be elected president. They told Hispanic Americans that it's okay that their counrymen are about to be herded like cattle and sent back to the squalor from whence they came. They told Muslim Americans that they aren't real Americans, that the people of their home nations aren't worth saving because terrorism. They told our children that it's okay to bully and ridicule people who don't agree with you.

All of the darkest sides of our culture have been exposed and legitimized by half the American people. That's why people are hurting. It's not about who won, it's about what that victory says about our culture, about us as Americans. And frankly it's more than a little disgusting to see that pain being trivialized by a group of people who like to pride themselves on taking the moral high ground. By all means, celebrate Trump's victory (or Hillary's defeat, if you prefer), but please be mindful of the heartbreak that millions of Americans are feeling. You don't have to fully understand it (as a straight white male, my capacity for complete understanding is admittedly limited), but respect that the pain is real and that those who are hurting need your Christ-like compassion right now, not your ridicule.

Okay, I still ended up typing quite a bit. Whatever. The article is still very good, and hit uncomfortably close to home for me.

41 minutes ago, Godless said:

I just ran into this article, which is great because it'll save me a bit of typing here. In short, many of the women in my life are hurting pretty badly this week, including some right-of-center LDS family members. This isn't about our candidate losing (many of us weren't overly fond of Hillary). We've lost elections before. It stings, but life goes on. This election result brings with it a unique pain in the fact that half of Americans knew the toxicity of the man they were voting for and voted for him anyway. They told women that a man can ridicule them, say vulgar things about them, and flippantly condone sexual assault and still be elected president. They told Hispanic Americans that it's okay that their counrymen are about to be herded like cattle and sent back to the squalor from whence they came. They told Muslim Americans that they aren't real Americans, that the people of their home nations aren't worth saving because terrorism. They told our children that it's okay to bully and ridicule people who don't agree with you.

All of the darkest sides of our culture have been exposed and legitimized by half the American people. That's why people are hurting. It's not about who won, it's about what that victory says about our culture, about us as Americans. And frankly it's more than a little disgusting to see that pain being trivialized by a group of people who like to pride themselves on taking the moral high ground. By all means, celebrate Trump's victory (or Hillary's defeat, if you prefer), but please be mindful of the heartbreak that millions of Americans are feeling. You don't have to fully understand it (as a straight white male, my capacity for complete understanding is admittedly limited), but respect that the pain is real and that those who are hurting need your Christ-like compassion right now, not your ridicule.

Okay, I still ended up typing quite a bit. Whatever. The article is still very good, and hit uncomfortably close to home for me.

Sigh.

We've been feeling this way for 24 years.  At least.  Yesterday was HOPEFUL that the cultural decline will finally stop.  Or at least, slow down to a trickle.

Yesterday gave us proof that Democrats and e-GOP in collusion with the media has finally become ineffective in:

1.) Painting those who believe that insisting upon LAWFUL immigration as racists.

2.) Painting those who profile terrorists Islamic as bigots.

3.) Painting those who do not support gay marriage as homophobes.

4.) Painting any opponent to legalized abortion as anti-Woman.

5.) Painting those who want to reduce taxes as "giving tax-cuts to the rich".   And painting those who use every legal means to reduce their taxes as "non-contributors to society".

6.) Painting those who want to help refugees thrive in their own country instead of siphoning all of them out of their country so there is no good people left to rebuild their nation as heartless people who believe "people of their home nations aren't worth saving because terrorism"

And here's more... Yesterday, somebody finally showed the political class that:

1.) You don't have to filter your entire life into a facade of perfection, hiding and lying to the people about who you really are, filtering your speech and actions so you don't "offend anyone", and you don't have to hire a cadre of political scrubbers, analysts, statisticians, etc. to shape and mold you into the political elite image of "Presidential" to be able to send your message to the American people.  The people are now wise to Character Assassination tactics especially those waged by spin-masters pretending to be journalists.  The people have also shown their capacity to forgive past faults as they encourage the dismantling of the facade of perfection in their leaders.  The people finally grew out of the stage of being "children who expect their parents to be perfect" into adults who recognizes the flaws but embraces their strengths to accomplish the goal.

2.) The political class is a hornet nest of corruption, elitism, incestuous relationships with the media, etc.

3.) It may take several election cycles but We The People can defeat a run-away government.

Edited by anatess2

These statements illustrate the massive cultural divide in this country, and I really hate the letter in the link.  Here's why.

46 minutes ago, Godless said:

This election result brings with it a unique pain in the fact that half of Americans knew the toxicity of the man they were voting for and voted for him anyway.

This is an oversimplification of what happened and why.  It basically accuses every person who voted for Trump of endorsing him and everything he represents, whether good or bad.  I find that extremely troubling because that same standard isn't being applied to the other half of the country who voted for a scheming manipulator who was known to have com promised the security of the United States and who was complicit in her husband's own incidents of assault against women.  The truth is that we had two horrible candidates and the reasons why could fill a book.  What we were left with was two candidates and most people hated both.  The majority of people who voted for Trump were more voting against Clinton than for him.

They told women that a man can ridicule them, say vulgar things about them, and flippantly condone sexual assault and still be elected president.

It was a choice between that or endorsing a woman who was complicit in the same kinds of acts by a man who she was married to.  So no, that wasn't what Trump voters were saying at all.  This is disingenuous and does a disservice to good people who had a crappy choice in front of them and did the best they could.

They told Hispanic Americans that it's okay that their counrymen are about to be herded like cattle and sent back to the squalor from whence they came.

No they didn't.  They told Hispanic Americans (like my own father) that if you want to be here then obey the laws like the rest of us.  Nobody honestly expects Trump to make an attempt to round up all the illegals and deport them.  Logistical reasons alone make that nigh impossible and it would be political suicide to even try.  The people who voted for Trump know this.

They told Muslim Americans that they aren't real Americans, that the people of their home nations aren't worth saving because terrorism.

No they didn't.  They voted for a guy who promised to put political correctness aside and take a more honest look at terrorism and where it comes from.

They told our children that it's okay to bully and ridicule people who don't agree with you.

No they didn't, but even if they did, anyone who supports Barack "Republicans can ride in the backseat" Obama has been saying that for years.

All of the darkest sides of our culture have been exposed and legitimized by half the American people.

People say something just like this every 4 years in the United States, if that claim is true.

By all means, celebrate Trump's victory (or Hillary's defeat, if you prefer), but please be mindful of the heartbreak that millions of Americans are feeling.

I refuse to be guilt tripped for being glad Clinton was defeated.  I didn't vote for Trump, but this was a much, much better outcome than a Clinton victory would have been.  Most of that heartbreak is the direct result of a news media that was full throttle on stirring up American emotion in trying to get them to hate Trump.  A close friend of mine had an utter meltdown because he honestly believes Trump is the next Hitler, which is utterly absurd.  I can't say that though, because he's steeped in an emotional overreaction and it wouldn't be wise for me to come at him over it right now.  Maybe later, when things settle down.

You don't have to fully understand it (as a straight white male, my capacity for complete understanding is admittedly limited),

This is the most offensive phrase in your post, my friend.  It's sexist, racist and (dare I say it?) heterophobic all in one line.  Before you marginalize that demographic, I'd remind you that it was straight white men who passed every single Constitutional Amendment to protect minorities and women.  It was straight white men who created the Constitution in the first place, and it was straight white men who, by a majority, elected Obama in 2008 and 1012.  So I guess maybe, just maybe, straight white men ARE capable of understanding. 

I think the most insidious damage inflicted by modern liberal philosophy is the self loathing it's programmed into people of a specific race, sex and sexual preference while claiming to be non-racist, tolerant and non-sexist.

As a man of biracial origin, am I therefore allowed an opinion here, or would I have to either go get a sex change or hang out in gay bars first?

respect that the pain is real and that those who are hurting need your Christ-like compassion right now, not your ridicule.

This is a reasonable statement but let's temper it a bit with reason.  Yes, we should be compassionate but we also need to be mindful of the truth.  I'm not going to feel sadness for someone who works themselves up into an emotional storm over nothing.  I can feel sympathy but I won't validate the cause.

The article is still very good, and hit uncomfortably close to home for me.

I'm sorry to hear that someone close to you is in suffering, but if you really care about them you'll help them gain a more constructive perspective rather than enabling them.

And one other thing... my wife voted for Trump.  It's also disingenuous and short sighted to assume that women all think alike.

Edited by unixknight

13 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

It's such a tragedy - Melania has to move to a smaller house with reduced staff.

I had a similar thought as I was coming into work this morning... It's funny that Trump's accommodations will actually be a downgrade when going into the White House.

34 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I had a similar thought as I was coming into work this morning... It's funny that Trump's accommodations will actually be a downgrade when going into the White House.

It was for Kennedy as well.  They managed.

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

To be fair, every single one of those people is about to lose their job and they know it.

Yeah, I hear that bigot Trump is proud of discriminating against people based on things like competence and work ethic.

And really, it looks like the dress code for daytime domestic staff at the WH has gone downhill since Reagan.

9 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Yeah, I hear that bigot Trump is proud of discriminating against people based on things like competence and work ethic.

I can tell that's sarcasm, but I can't tell which thought you're expressing...  its it that you think I was making a statement about Trump bigotry, or are you using irony to anticipate what liberals would say?

22 hours ago, Windseeker said:

So far, it's this one:

Whether we like what the winning side says or not, voting and then having non-armed peaceful transference of power to a validated winner is a remarkable thing.