Ok everyone - you need to denounce white supremacists.

NeuroTypical

6 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Often the way racism is defined is itself raciest.   As well - being obsessed with racism (especially a race being racists) is racists.

The Traveler

True.

Also, it can be that some of those who cry racism are themselves racist that's why they're crying racism because they think their race deserve better than another race.  It's an amazing race.

6 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Yup, all the reports I see about a lack of diversity in software companies completely ignore Asians of all stripes, lumping them in with the white "majority". Welcome to the club :)

YEAY!!!

So, I can be a neo-nazi white supremacist now!  Let me enjoy that for a bit before I have to denounce it, ok?

The trouble with roundly denouncing racists and driving them back into the shadows, is that it makes them into martyrs and only solidifies their opinions.  (It also encourages progressives to deal with us using the same tactics, but I digress . . .)

In some ways, we have been victims of our own success on this issue.  We have achieved a near-consensus on the proposition that all men are at least created equal; which has made us intellectually lazy.  Meanwhile you have a subculture of bona fide racists trotting out pseudo-intellectual "theories" about how equality of opportunity is actually a bad thing, that members of disparate races cannot coexist, and so on; and this subculture is convinced that their ideas would win the day if only they were given a fair hearing. 

The way to keep racism in check is for the rest of us to bone up on our own ideals, draw the racists out of the shadows, non-judgmentally engage with them in open and fair debate--and win.  

There's an apocryphal story of Lincoln being chastized by an advisor for being too kind to his enemies.  The adviser supposedly encouraged Lincoln to "crush them", to which Lincoln replied "Am I not crushing my enemies when I make them my friends?"

Edited by Just_A_Guy

58 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

I denounce anyone that judges a person's worth by skin color or sex.

This includes all groups and individuals, who have such attitudes, and is not limited to just the white supermacist/neo-nazis organizations

I wish I could 'like' this post twice.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Windseeker and anatess2, I'd like to also extend the invitation to you both, to publicly and clearly denounce white supremacists and neo-nazis.

I realize it probably seems like something everyone just assumes about folks, but that's no longer the case, as Godless and CNN keep making clear.  So get on the public record!

Hi Neuro, 

First off I didn't vote for Trump for moral reasons.

One of the reasons Trump got elected was as a result of a recoil from 10 years of identity politics rammed down our throats from the left. 

If anyone one needs to apologize it's the left, their insentience onslaught and accusations of privilege and patriarchy against white people is what has given rise to the Alt-Right. 

The fact that Trump could not have gotten elected without an increase in support from minority voters as well as those who voted for Obama twice ought to give them pause when they attempt to tie %50 of this country to a minuscule numbers of impotent white supremacists.

I'm not going to apologize and what we need to be doing is pointing out the lies.

I am sad for minorities in this country who can't see past the lies and are living in a state of fear  as pawns of the identity politics of the left.

Edited by Windseeker

I denounce white supremacy.

I denounce Hitler.  Yup.  Doesn't that make me brave for saying so?  He was a stinker.

I also denounce cannibalism.  That's right.  I said it.  Cannibalism bites (eerr... uhmm...yeah...).

I denounce mosquitoes.  Wait, I already have on a number of occasions.  I'll do it once more.  They're that bad.

I denounce cyanide or chlorine gas as an expectorant.

I denounce Pluto's relegation to a planetoid.

I denounce bussel sprouts as an edible vegetable -- at least when it's cooked.

I denounce uncomfortable mattresses.

I denounce modern art -- particularly rusty pieces of used-to-be metal.

I denounce J-Lo as a legitimate actress.

I denounce the Transformers movies and the first Star Wars Trilogy as even half-way decent movies.

I denounce using only a single space after end-of-sentence punctuation.

I denounce the merging of the words "homophone" and "homonym" to now become synonymous.

I denounce the juxtaposition of chocolate and kim chee in the same mouthful.

I denounce shag carpet.

I denounce lists of denunciation...

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator

I think accusations of racism are always dangerous. A good prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich and if I really wanted to I could probably misread your words and actions and make you out to be racist, too. You need to be careful because it's such a loaded term. 

45 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Yup, all the reports I see about a lack of diversity in software companies completely ignore Asians of all stripes, lumping them in with the white "majority". Welcome to the club :)

This reminds me of my "Asian Privilege" thread.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

I eat white rice.  Didn't make me white.  I use Colgate Whitening.  Still didn't make me white.  Tide Ultra.  Nope.  If you would've told me a lot sooner that all I need is for PC to declare me white, I'd have been your friend eons ago.  ;)

Now... how do I get a white biological child?

I'm pretty sure we break down race as white, Asian, and black. Most Hispanics, for example, get classified as white. So, relax on the teeth whitening, economize on the soap, and teach your kiddos to say, "What do you mean? Of course I'm white!"

36 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

I'm pretty sure we break down race as white, Asian, and black. Most Hispanics, for example, get classified as white. So, relax on the teeth whitening, economize on the soap, and teach your kiddos to say, "What do you mean? Of course I'm white!"

Well... they can't get away with it... after all, I don't think anybody would believe Obama is white...

As much as I respect @NeuroTypical and I don't think he's wrong per se... I'm gonna be "that guy" and refuse.

It isn't that I don't feel the same as everyone else here.  Of course I do.  It's that I refuse to lend any credibility to the notion that somehow the assumption that I'm a white supremacist should be the default unless I repudiate it.  (I'm half white, half latino but only other latinos seem to be able to tell.  Everybody else looks at me and sees a white guy.)  If someone who doesn't know me chooses to assume that the color of my skin makes it likely that I'm some kind of white supremacist... well that makes THEM the racist, not me, and I won't cater to them.

I assume people aren't racist unless and until they say or do something to demonstrate otherwise.  It will be a glorious day when everybody does that.

13 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I assume people aren't racist unless and until they say or do something to demonstrate otherwise.  It will be a glorious day when everybody does that.

The OP is satirical.  The majority do take the position you have stated above.  The Democrats and Democrat-sympathizers (ahem, the media) have turned that upside-down and paint everybody white supremacists and neo-nazis if David Duke decides to agree with you.  I mean, you can say, the clouds are white and David Duke enthusiastically agrees, that makes you a white supremacist which requires that you disavow all white supremacists and neo-nazis 10 times in 10 days on twitter.  We actually have an example here - presenting... Godless.

By the way... have you ever thought clouds are white?  Then yeah, you better disavow... quick!

Edited by anatess2

10 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The OP is satirical.  The majority do take the position you have stated above.  The Democrats and Democrat-sympathizers (ahem, the media) have turned that upside-down and paint everybody white supremacists and neo-nazis if David Duke decides to agree with you.  I mean, you can say, the clouds are white and David Duke enthusiastically agrees, that makes you a white supremacist which requires that you disavow all white supremacists and neo-nazis 10 times in 10 days on twitter.  We actually have an example here - presenting... Godless.

By the way... have you ever thought clouds are white?  Then yeah, you better disavow... quick!

Heh I know you're right about that, but I live in a place where liberal thought is dominant so I deal with it - even among my friends "I know YOU aren't racist, unixknight... but there's still institutionalized racism as long as whites are in power."

-And that comes from white people.

What I hate most about this perpetual guilt trip in the media is that it  actually has people feeling embarrassed by their own DNA and this is somehow viewed as "progressive."

Guest Godless
3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Maybe you're unaware Godless, but Trump has made national and international news publicly denouncing these people.  If you were aware, any particular reason you're ignoring all that and just looking at his twitter account? 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/22/politics/donald-trump-disavow-groups-new-york-times/index.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38069469

I'm aware of the statement he made the other day, and I was remiss to leave that out of my last post. That's a good start. He needs to continue to make statements like that at every opportunity. So does Bannon, for that matter, since the alt-right has latched onto Breitbart like a leech.

Re: Twitter - Trump has nearly 16 million followers, and his Twitter account is about as unscripted as Trump gets. He needs to use that to send a clear, no-BS message to the alt-right that he isn't going to put up with their hate. If he used half of the time on Twitter denouncing racists as he does crying about those meanie actors and journalists, I'd be content. I know it sounds silly, but that Twitter account is the most heavily-scrutinized thing on the internet, and it's a direct line to what's going on in Trump's head. He has to know that, so it's very telling to see what he decides to use it for.

And just to make a clear point - I don't see you denouncing any white supremacists anywhere.  Care to correct the record?

The day that white supremacists praise my name in the public square, I will use every breath I have to denounce, undermine, and bury them. Then I will use every resource at my disposal to figure out what it is about me that attracted their interest in the first place so I can rethink my life choices. As it turns out, it's the President-elect of the United States, not a bar manager in San Antonio, who is ideologically attracting these sorry excuses for human beings. He doesn't get to make one or two statements and then pretend the problem doesn't exist. Like I said, the statements he's already made are a great start, and I apologize for not acknowledging that earlier. 

That being said, in the spirit of your original post, here it goes.

I denounce racism in any shape or form. I denounce white supremacy, black supremacy, and any other notion that there is one superior race. Things like skin color, religion, gender, and sexual orientation do not make one person superior to inferior to another.

3 hours ago, Windseeker said:

Same story as the two links above. Again, I apologize for not acknowledging it earlier. I stand by the rest of my statements though. He needs to keep his foot on the gas against these people.

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Why would you want him to give these idiots a platform???  If I was the one running for President, I'm not even going to honor these idiots with a National mention except one time to state my unequivocal position.  Yet, the media keeps on giving these idiots a voice on the Public Square.

This is an instance where ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away. There are clearly things about Trump's (and Bannon's) ideology that attracts these types of people. Trump and Bannon need to assure the American people that they are not the voice of the alt-right. Because if they don't, then the alt-right is just going to keep making waves in Trump's name. If I were Trump, I would absolutely not be okay with that. The support of white supremacists should be a much bigger concern for him than SNL, Hamilton, and the NYT. 

Windseeker and anatess2, I'd like to also extend the invitation to you both, to publicly and clearly denounce white supremacists and neo-nazis.

I realize it probably seems like something everyone just assumes about folks, but that's no longer the case, as Godless and CNN keep making clear.  So get on the public record!

FWIW, I never saw a need for anyone on this site to publicly denounce racism and nazis. I know that a majority of Trump voters are good, non-prejudiced people. That being said, I'm glad this conversation came up. It's important to highlight the baggage that came with Trump's victory. A black conservative friend of mine learned that the hard way recently when he expressed support on Facebook for the SAPD after a local officer was gunned down. I won't repeat some of the responses he got because it would violate multiple site rules. He told me about it at the bar the other day, nearly in tears. He said to me, "[Screw] Trump, man. This isn't the America I voted for" It was heartbreaking, really. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

6 minutes ago, unixknight said:

What I hate most about this perpetual guilt trip in the media is that it  actually has people feeling embarrassed by their own DNA and this is somehow viewed as "progressive."

So much for MLK jr's dream of being judged by the continent of one's character, rather then by the color of their skin huh?

9 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

So much for MLK jr's dream of being judged by the continent of one's character, rather then by the color of their skin huh?

Man, every time I hear people pushing "white guilt" I think MLK must be rolling over in his grave so bad if you connected a stator to him you could power the city of Los Angeles.  And now we have this "cultural appropriation" garbage that's really just the new face of segregation.

1 hour ago, Godless said:

This is an instance where ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away. There are clearly things about Trump's (and Bannon's) ideology that attracts these types of people. Trump and Bannon need to assure the American people that they are not the voice of the alt-right. Because if they don't, then the alt-right is just going to keep making waves in Trump's name. If I were Trump, I would absolutely not be okay with that. The support of white supremacists should be a much bigger concern for him than SNL, Hamilton, and the NYT.

That's because you did not pay attention.  TRUMP HAS made a statement about it (which I linked on my post).  Yes, the media did not air it ad nauseum.  So that's probably why you missed it.  And no, twitter is not the official Trump Press Corps so just because he issued the statement in an interview with NYT instead of putting it on twitter doesn't mean it is of lesser concern than SNL and Hamilton.

The Alt-Right is making waves in Trump's name because - the media loves it.  The media loves it because people believe it and so they paint this absurd picture of Trump and Bannon not caring that at the same time they're making the Alt-Right guys very happy.

The corruption in the media needs to be destroyed.  YOU can help by not propagating the media lie.

Edited by anatess2

2 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Quick thread jack, sorry. Do you own on of these Purple mattresses? If so what do you think- I'm in the market. Thanks Carb.

Actually, I have a mattress of similar construction that was invented about 12 or 13 years ago--it was the original gel mattress.

The differences between my mattress and the purple mattress:

Mine has:

1) Only one very thick layer of pretty rigid foam.
2) About a 2" or 2.5" thick layer of the hyper-elastic polymer (AKA gel) grid.  I don't remember the thickness and I'm not about to open it up to measure.
3) An extra 1/4" quilted foam layer for the covering.

Purple has:

1) Two layers of foam with different densities to account for different body shapes and weights.
2) One 2" thick layer of gel grid
3) A spandex wrap with no quilting.

COMMENTS ON MY MATTRESS

1) My mattress had a 20 year warranty.  But the company is now defunct.  My mattress has been failing for the past couple of years.  And we're thinking about Purple.
2) The quilted layer actually changes the nature of the mattress.  In the showroom, they only had a thin spandex cover.  I could feel the gel grid crumpling under me and it gave a sort of massaging quality to it.  And the proximity to the gel actually made it cooler.  The quilt made it warmer, and no massaging affect.
3) I like the softness/firmness.  My wife says the mattress is too hard.
4) I've also flipped it over and slept on the foam part.  I loved it.  Wife said it was like sleeping on a rock.  But it was definitely warmer than the gel side -- even with the quilting.
5) I have a difficulty with the gel side.  My body proportions are not common.  My legs are significantly skinnier than my hips or shoulders. (Cue Stuart McKenzie: It's like an orange on a pair o' toothpecks).  So, when I sleep on my side, my hips sink in a lot more than my legs.  As a result, my hip is being stretched all night long -- doesn't feel good.  So, I've resigned myself to sleeping on my back.  This should be fine if you're a back sleeper.  But I roll all around in my sleep.

Otherwise, it's a perfectly fine mattress. 

IF YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT ANY MATTRESS WITH THE GEL/FOAM CONSTRUCTION:

The gel is exceptionally heavy.  And it has no rigidity at all.  The semi-rigid foam that makes up the rest of the mattress is NOT rigid enough to give it any structure.  As a result, when moving it, placing it on the box spring, or just making your bed (particularly placing the contour sheet) it is a bit of a hassle.  Imagine having a completely floppy body that you're trying to move, only the floppy body is about 7ft tall and 5 ft wide.

A standard mattress has the core of springs that is actually lighter than the gel mattress.  That spring structure keeps it rigid enough that two guys can carry it fairly easily.  The gel mattress will flop all around.  If you can get it into a box or roll it back into the roll it came in, then it would be much easier to carry.  But as is... not very easy.

One could hope to get used to it and adjust.  But I haven't yet -- after 10 years.  Still, we've managed.

• pam featured this topic
On 11/24/2016 at 8:09 AM, Godless said:

That being said, in the spirit of your original post, here it goes.

I denounce racism in any shape or form. I denounce white supremacy, black supremacy, and any other notion that there is one superior race. Things like skin color, religion, gender, and sexual orientation do not make one person superior to inferior to another.

This has got me thinking. I wondering what are those qualities that DO make one person superior to another, assuming that there are any. And taking things a step further, are those qualities more or less likely to be found in certain groups people?

I denounce rascism and supremacy based on colour

And I especially denounce people who don't think much of the first star wars trilogy, Carb.

Guest Godless
3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

This has got me thinking. I wondering what are those qualities that DO make one person superior to another, assuming that there are any. And taking things a step further, are those qualities more or less likely to be found in certain groups people?

Those traits would be cognitive. After all, our greatest strength as a species is our intellect. That's why homo erectus didn't make the evolutionary cut. As far as I'm aware, no one has ever proven the existence of a significant genetic difference in cognitive function based on differences in racial or ethnic background. Cultural differences, sure, but that's not the same thing. Some cultures modernized more quickly than others out of environmental expediency, not genetic superiority.

3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

And I especially denounce people who don't think much of the first star wars trilogy, Carb.

Are we talking about first to be released or first sequential in the story?

• pam unfeatured this topic