Hi,

I'm preparing myself at the moment to go for my Patriarchal blessing.   if anyone has any scriptures or talks they think I would find useful or advice , please let me know.

Other then that I am super stoked about it ?

Edited by An Investigator

Aren't investigators and new members fabulous!  I think we need more of them! ;)

47 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

Hi,

I'm preparing myself at the moment to go for my Patriarchal blessing.   if anyone has any scriptures or talks they think I would find useful or advice , please let me know.

Other then that I am super stoked about it ?

I was in YW when I got my PB (not peanut butter :D ).  I was taught to pray, repent, and do all the things good Mormon girls are supposed to do, but no one suggested specific study or scriptures to ponder, and now I'm thinking they should have!  Which scriptures those should be, I'm not sure, but it sure seems like a good idea to me.  Now I need to figure out how I might answer this question...

Step 1: Go look in the Topical Guide...  and look! it's a topic!  I think I would study this, and ponder how the scriptures relate to my PB.  I might ponder whether the promised blessings happened or not, and if not, why not, and what I might take as a lesson.

Step 2: Move on to the entries under "Blessing" and see what I can find there.

Step 3: Search LDS.org to see if I can find anything there that looks interesting.

Through all of this, I'd be thinking about what I can do to prepare, so that the Spirit can be there, and I can feel his presence.  I think I might ponder what questions I have that might be answered in that blessing.  I expect the Patriarch will want to talk with me and might want to know how I prepared and what my questions are - if he doesn't ask, I might volunteer the info.

I think I might try to prepare myself to accept whatever counsel the Lord gives me through that blessing - because Patriarchal Blessings can also include specific responsibilities you have...

12 hours ago, Vort said:

Ooof. Not exactly what I would advise my children to read before receiving their patriarchal blessing...

Yeah, I guess it didn't work for my nephew either.  He's now a Catholic.

7 hours ago, SilentOne said:

So when did you get your peanut butter?

:D Do you mean my first peanut butter?  I'm sure I was too young to remember (though I have vague memories of my mom, aunt, and grandma, in grandma's downstairs kitchen, mixing slightly crystallized honey and peanut butter in a little bowl and then giving to us kids to eat).

Or do you mean my most recent peanut butter?  In which case, I can't remember.  Surely it was some time this year.  Technically, I could go through a stack of receipts and find out, but I'm so NOT gonna do that.

But as long as we're derailing to peanut butter, I will explain my brother's "worth it factor".  A is the difficulty of making a toasted peanut butter sandwich.  B is the difficulty of making [something else].  C is how much better [something else] is than the PB sandwich.  Unless B minus A is less than C, B is not "worth it".  The "worth it factor" for any given food may vary depending on hunger, cravings, and other less-explicable variables. :D

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion...

Remember to ask questions (silently) while you are receiving your patriarchal blessing. ;)

They could be then and there answered (not talking about where dinosaurs came from).

Also, do not go in with any expectations of how it will be and what will be said. I believe some members, due to the hype given, go in thinking images of grandeur rather than humility to accept what is given. :)

Edited by Anddenex

13 hours ago, Anddenex said:

Also, do not go in with any expectations of how it will be and what will be said. I believe some members, due to the hype given, go in thinking images of grandeur rather than humility to accept what is given.

When I got my Patriarchal Blessing recommend, my bishop counseled me not to be disappointed if I was from the tribe of Ephraim (I almost said 'was sorted into Ephraim'), which I am. I wonder if he told that to everybody or if it was special for me.

Edited by SilentOne

5 hours ago, SilentOne said:

When I got my Patriarchal Blessing recommend, my bishop counseled me not to be disappointed if I was from the tribe of Ephraim (I almost said 'was sorted into Ephraim'), which I am. I wonder if he told that to everybody or if it was special for me.

In some areas (a lot in Utah) there was some sort of fad where people thought they were special if they were from a tribe other than Ephraim.  It is well known that the vast majority of the LDS population consists of Ephraimites.  So, if you were from another tribe, you were "special".  So goes the thought process of the fad.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

In some areas (a lot in Utah) there was some sort of fad where people thought they were special if they were from a tribe other than Ephraim.  It is well known that the vast majority of the LDS population consists of Ephraimites.  So, if you were from another tribe, you were "special".  So goes the thought process of the fad.

So it was a fad to be of Gad?

19 hours ago, zil said:

I didn't think of that.  I wish I had.  Sometimes I'm short-sighted, but just a tad.

(And unless someone wants to force "wad", we've now used up all the 3-character words ending in "ad".)

Should we put out an ad?