True Doctrine Understood

Anddenex

In scripture we have been told, "And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God." (Alma 31:5)

Elder Boyd K. Packer is known also for this quote regarding doctrine, behavior, and change, "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior” (“Little Children,” Ensign, Nov. 1986, 17).

How do, or how would, you focus on true doctrine to change behavior rather than focusing on the behavior?

5 hours ago, Anddenex said:

In scripture we have been told, "And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God." (Alma 31:5)

Elder Boyd K. Packer is known also for this quote regarding doctrine, behavior, and change, "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior” (“Little Children,” Ensign, Nov. 1986, 17).

How do, or how would, you focus on true doctrine to change behavior rather than focusing on the behavior?

I hope, like me, everyone else is busy pondering this (or busy with important things and planning to come back to it).  The question alone has caused me to ponder several things which seem to be behavior problems, and ask myself how I can address them by teaching doctrine rather than by telling people their behavior is bad. :) I'm still pondering.

I recently decided that my next topic of study will be to find the doctrine surrounding Visiting Teaching.  All of us can think of all kinds of benefits which come from doing it right, and I'm sure this group could pop off a few ideas of doctrines that would lead one to being a good Visiting Teacher, but those doctrines are already known by people who want nothing to do with VTing and don't see its point.  So how do I find the underlying doctrine and a way to teach it so that sisters will understand how VTing derives from, or is a way of practicing doctrine?

The last time I did this, it was about the Sabbath, and I was surprised at how much I found, and the breadth of information in the scriptures which I did not know, did not delve into previously, or just took for granted (having grown up being taught about the Sabbath).  Hopefully the VTing study will be as fruitful.

3 minutes ago, zil said:

I hope, like me, everyone else is busy pondering this (or busy with important things and planning to come back to it).  The question alone has caused me to ponder several things which seem to be behavior problems, and ask myself how I can address them by teaching doctrine rather than by telling people their behavior is bad. :) I'm still pondering.

I recently decided that my next topic of study will be to find the doctrine surrounding Visiting Teaching.  All of us can think of all kinds of benefits which come from doing it right, and I'm sure this group could pop off a few ideas of doctrines that would lead one to being a good Visiting Teacher, but those doctrines are already known by people who want nothing to do with VTing and don't see its point.  So how do I find the underlying doctrine and a way to teach it so that sisters will understand how VTing derives from, or is a way of practicing doctrine?

The last time I did this, it was about the Sabbath, and I was surprised at how much I found, and the breadth of information in the scriptures which I did not know, did not delve into previously, or just took for granted (having grown up being taught about the Sabbath).  Hopefully the VTing study will be as fruitful.

Thank you zil. This statement here, "ask myself how I can address them by teaching doctrine rather than by telling people their behavior is bad. :) I'm still pondering," is the crux of my post. As a father I believe in this quote but am finding myself more focusing on the behavior rather than the doctrine, and am wanting to know how other people have applied this principle. The VTing is another great example.

1 minute ago, Anddenex said:

Thank you zil. This statement here, "ask myself how I can address them by teaching doctrine rather than by telling people their behavior is bad. :) I'm still pondering," is the crux of my post. As a father I believe in this quote but am finding myself more focusing on the behavior rather than the doctrine, and am wanting to know how other people have applied this principle. ...

It's really easy to see the undesired behavior.  It's really hard to pause or back off a bit and think, "what doctrinal understanding is lacking that would lead to this behavior?"  Especially when the bad behavior is a distraction from something else that's going on, and you just want to put an immediate stop to it and get back to what you're supposed to be doing - e.g. private conversation among the Sisters on the Back Row when they ought to be paying attention to the lesson.  You can't (or maybe we should ponder that assumption) teach them some doctrine then and there that will help them understand respect and reverence, and by the time your lesson's over and you got home, maybe you've forgotten...  Certainly, figuring this out is much harder than lecturing or ignoring it, and we tend to avoid "hard".

Thinking out loud here: The other question, of course, would be: "What doctrine would help someone to overcome this behavior?" (same question, different direction).  As an example, let's use my Sabbath day study:  For one person, they might need to be taught about the Sabbath, to understand its origin, purpose, significance, etc. - then, with that understanding, they recognize a need to change and do so.  But for another person, maybe they need to learn to love God, so that honoring Him on the Sabbath becomes important to them.  And there might be some other doctrine that some other person needs to understand before they will feel driven to improve their Sabbath observance.

So, the answer could well be different for each person whose behavior needs to change.

5 minutes ago, zil said:

It's really easy to see the undesired behavior.  It's really hard to pause or back off a bit and think, "what doctrinal understanding is lacking that would lead to this behavior?"  Especially when the bad behavior is a distraction from something else that's going on, and you just want to put an immediate stop to it and get back to what you're supposed to be doing - e.g. private conversation among the Sisters on the Back Row when they ought to be paying attention to the lesson.  You can't (or maybe we should ponder that assumption) teach them some doctrine then and there that will help them understand respect and reverence, and by the time your lesson's over and you got home, maybe you've forgotten...  Certainly, figuring this out is much harder than lecturing or ignoring it, and we tend to avoid "hard".

True, and I wonder if that is part of the issue I am currently experiencing that the undesired behavior is so easily seen, and not so easily corrected. I have a son that has been much more difficult than any of my other children. One day his behavior was inappropriate, and I corrected the behavior. As I corrected the behavior I noticed that I corrected behavior with behavior (and have been doing this with him all the time), which leads to my original question, "How are people applying this in their homes"?

Sorry, one more thinking out loud: how often do we see our own weaknesses and think we need to use discipline or self-control alone to change them (e.g. losing weight) and never think to look for doctrinal understanding (e.g. word of wisdom, body is a temple, etc.) for help in changing things that we only half want to change in the first place?

8 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

"How are people applying this in their homes"?

Sorry, someone else is going to have to help you here - both of my puppies were very obedient, and I'm a softy anyway. ;)

But I will tell you one of the few lessons I remember specifically from my youth. The A-Team was popular when we were teens, and my brothers and I would imitate Mr. T, calling each other "fool".  Apparently, my parents didn't like this.  The first (last and only) time they addressed the issue, they called us into the living room, noted that we'd been doing this, and then read this scripture:

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

To my memory, they didn't say anything beyond reading that verse.  And yet to this day, I remember it with perfect clarity (can see the scene), and am emotionally moved by the memory.  Needless to say, we never called each other "fool" again.

Edited by zil

9 minutes ago, zil said:

Sorry, someone else is going to have to help you here - both of my puppies were very obedient, and I'm a softy anyway. ;)

But I will tell you one of the few lessons I remember specifically from my youth. The A-Team was popular when we were teams, and my brothers and I would imitate Mr. T, calling each other "fool".  Apparently, my parents didn't like this.  The first (last and only) time they addressed the issue, they called us into the living room, noted that we'd been doing this, and then read this scripture:

To my memory, they didn't say anything beyond reading that verse.  And yet to this day, I remember it with perfect clarity (can see the scene), and am emotionally moved by the memory.  Needless to say, we never called each other "fool" again.

Thank you, that is a perfect example of growing up.

7 hours ago, zil said:

Here is the doctrine for almost everything, including Visiting Teaching

(Book of Mormon | Alma 37:34)

34  Teach them to never be weary of good works, but to be meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find rest to their souls.

(New Testament | Galatians 5:13)

3 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

(New Testament | Galatians 5:13)

3 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

(New Testament | John 15:12)

12  This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

(New Testament | John 15:17)

17  These things I command you, that ye love one another.

(New Testament | 1 Peter 1:22)

22  Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

(New Testament | 1 John 3:11)

11  For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

(New Testament | 1 John 3:23)

3 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

(New Testament | 1 John 4:7 - 12)

7  Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8  He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

9  In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

10  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

11  Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

12  No man hath seen God at any time.  If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

6 hours ago, zil said:

But I will tell you one of the few lessons I remember specifically from my youth. The A-Team was popular when we were teens, and my brothers and I would imitate Mr. T, calling each other "fool".  Apparently, my parents didn't like this.  The first (last and only) time they addressed the issue, they called us into the living room, noted that we'd been doing this, and then read this scripture:

On the other hand, said He who is the perfect example in all things

Luke 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken

and again, when giving a parable (not talking about a real person, but ascribing the use of the word fool to His Father)

(New Testament | Luke 12:13 - 20)
3 ¶ And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me.
14  And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?
15  And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
16  And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17  And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18  And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19  And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20  But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/luke/24?lang=eng

13 hours ago, Anddenex said:

While not disagreeing with the idea that the preaching of the word can have a powerful positive effect in bringing about positive changes in behavior, Alma 31:5 in no way supports that idea, although that verse is frequently used to support that idea. Consider the following sequence of events.

Alma 31:4 Alma is concerned that the Zoramites might ”enter into a correspondence with the Lamanites and that it would be the means of great loss on the part of the Nephites”

Alma 31:5 Alma concludes that to prevent this from happening, he should preach the word to the Zoramites.

Alma 32, 33, 34. Alma and others preach the word

Alma 35 Those who believed in the preaching are cast out and given refuge in the Jershon. This angers the leaders of the Zoramites who then ask the people of Ammon, who were living in the land of Jershon, to “cast out of their land all those who came over from them into their land.” (vs 8). The people of Ammon refuse to cast out the “poor of the Zoramites.” This refusal  (Book of Mormon | Alma 35:10 - 11)

did stir up the Zoramites to anger against the people of Ammon, and they began to mix with the Lamanites and to stir them up also to anger against them.

11  And thus the Zoramites and the Lamanites began to make preparations for war against the people of Ammon, and also against the Nephites.

2 And thus ended the seventeenth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi.

13  And the people of Ammon departed out of the land of Jershon, and came over into the land of Melek, and gave place in the land of Jershon for the armies of the Nephites, that they might contend with the armies of the Lamanites and the armies of the Zoramites; and thus commenced a war betwixt the Lamanites and the Nephites, in the eighteenth year of the reign of the judges; and an account shall be given of their wars hereafter.

So we see that the preaching of the word by Alma to the Zoramites led directly to the outcome that Alma was trying to avoid. His preaching, and the reaction of those he was preaching to, led to war, not peace. The preaching did indeed have a powerful effect on the minds of the people, but not the effect that Alma was hoping or expecting.

I think that Helaman 5 is a vastly superior example to illustrate the point that the preaching of the word can have a powerfully positive effect on the minds of the people. In Helaman 5 we read how the preaching of Nephi and Lehi led to such a change in heart amongst the Lamanites that they freely gave back to the Nephites the lands that they had taken possession of through war.

I think its also worth noting that sometimes, the preaching of the word, by even the most expert of preachers, has pretty much no effect at all.

(Book of Mormon | Moroni 9:4)
4  Behold, I am laboring with them continually; and when I speak the word of God with sharpness they tremble and anger against me; and when I use no sharpness they harden their hearts against it; wherefore, I fear lest the Spirit of the Lord hath ceased striving with them.

As Christ taught in the parable of the sowers, preaching the word is only one of the variables. Another significant variable that influences what effect the preaching of the word might have, is the quality of the soil. 

It's all about the truth.

As we study the truth and understand it, we will choose to either deny it, ignore it, or apply it.

For those who apply it, it is obvious how studying it helps.

For those who ignore it, it is difficult to continue studying it and continue to ignore it.  They eventually end up denying it or applying it.

For those who deny it, they generally stop studying it.

I do know of some examples of exceptions.  But this seems to be the message Elder Packer was giving.

17 hours ago, Anddenex said:

I think most fundamentally, if we focus on faith and repentance, and remember the baptism covenant and receiving the Holy Ghost with the sacrament, our demeanor changes, which prepares the way for saintly behavior (a godly walk and conversation). We are taught to pursue charity, or the pure love of Christ, in our demeanor.

Unfortunately the fallen flesh (which includes the brain) doesn’t recover as quickly as the spirit and so the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, and so we persist in the frustration of Paul: “For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I…”

We can focus on the Lord and His will or we can focus on ourselves and our unwanted behavior. He asks us to keep our eye single to Him. Service is also a great way to see ourselves and others as the Lord sees us, which softens our attitudes in general and helps us receive His grace.

Regarding specific problematic behaviors, the doctrine of the Atonement is used in the Church’s addiction recovery program, but is certainly applicable to any improvement and refinement we might seek. The Lord changes us from within; we often do not know how, but we sense that day when it comes.

11 hours ago, Anddenex said:

True, and I wonder if that is part of the issue I am currently experiencing that the undesired behavior is so easily seen, and not so easily corrected. I have a son that has been much more difficult than any of my other children. One day his behavior was inappropriate, and I corrected the behavior. As I corrected the behavior I noticed that I corrected behavior with behavior (and have been doing this with him all the time), which leads to my original question, "How are people applying this in their homes"?

What has helped me in the home is to try to see my family members as God sees them, precious children for whom the Lord suffered, bled and died; for whom the Father gave up His Only Begotten Son; for whom there is full expectation for a joyous return. This softens hearts and invites the Spirit into the situation so that the doctrine of the priesthood distills not only upon us individually, but upon the home and those we serve. Easier said than done, of course!

6 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Alma 31:5 in no way supports that idea, although that verse is frequently used to support that idea. Consider the following sequence of events.

This appears to be a personal interpretation, we would disagree that this verse doesn't support this idea. Preaching the word can have multiple affects on people. If a person loves truth, they will rejoice in truth, or like Laman and Lemuel the truth is hard against us if we aren't living according to the truth and aren't humble to accept it. Either way, we still teach truth because the word of God, understood, will have a more powerful affect.

Example #1 from the Church manuals: "Leaders’ most powerful teaching comes from their personal example. Leaders also teach by sharing their testimonies and conducting doctrinally based discussions in leadership meetings, classes, and activities. They teach from the scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets. They know that “the preaching of the word … [has] more powerful effect … than the sword, or anything else” (Alma 31:5)."

Example #2, "Ask students to imagine that they have the opportunity to advise Alma on how to resolve his concerns about the Zoramites. Ask students what they would suggest he do. Invite a student to read Alma 31:5 aloud. Ask the class to look for what Alma knew would be the most effective way to help the Zoramites."

Example#3, "Ponder the following statement from President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, about the power of the word of God:

“True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior.

“The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior. Preoccupation with unworthy behavior can lead to unworthy behavior. That is why we stress so forcefully the study of the doctrines of the gospel” (“Little Children,” Ensign, Nov. 1986, 17).

Based on Alma 31:5 and President Packer’s statement, finish the following principle: As I study the word of God, it will lead me to ____________________________________________________________________________________________________.

Example#4, Church Handbook of Instruction, "5.5 Teaching the Gospel: Effective gospel teaching helps people grow in their testimonies and their faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. It strengthens members in their efforts to live according to gospel principles. When God’s word is taught with spiritual power, it has a “more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than … anything else” (Alma 31:5). Priesthood and auxiliary leaders encourage effective teaching in their organizations. They remember that Church members attend meetings seeking the power, peace, and inspiration provided by the word of God."

Example #5, "Alma 31:5—The Power of the Word: It is interesting to note that Alma sought to solve a political problem with a spiritual cure. The Nephites were worried that the Zoramites might stir up the Lamanites to war against the Nephites. Alma felt that the best way to prevent that was to preach the gospel to the Zoramites so that they might experience a change of heart. Alma chose to work on the cause of the problem, not the symptoms.

In a talk entitled “The Power of the Word,” President Ezra Taft Benson counseled priesthood leaders about working on the roots of problems in the Church: “Often we spend great effort in trying to increase the activity levels in our stakes. We work diligently to raise the percentages of those attending sacrament meetings. We labor to get a higher percentage of our young men on missions. We strive to improve the numbers of those marrying in the temple. All of these are commendable efforts and important to the growth of the kingdom. But when individual members and families immerse themselves in the scriptures regularly and consistently, these other areas of activity will automatically come. Testimonies will increase. Commitment will be strengthened. Families will be fortified. Personal revelation will flow” (Ensign, May 1986, 81)."

Either you have come to an esoteric knowledge that even Church leadership hasn't come to, or Alma 31: 5, does indeed support the notion. I would say it supports the notion 100%.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

It's all about the truth.

As we study the truth and understand it, we will choose to either deny it, ignore it, or apply it.

For those who apply it, it is obvious how studying it helps.

For those who ignore it, it is difficult to continue studying it and continue to ignore it.  They eventually end up denying it or applying it.

For those who deny it, they generally stop studying it.

I do know of some examples of exceptions.  But this seems to be the message Elder Packer was giving.

How have, would, you apply this in your home when correcting behavior with children?

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

Either you have come to an esoteric knowledge that even Church leadership hasn't come to, or Alma 31: 5, does indeed support the notion.

This is a false dichotomy. That the preaching of the gospel has the long-term effect of publishing peace in no way negates the observation that the Book of Mormon itself points out that Alma's preaching set off a chain of events that resulted in war and the death of many Nephites (and Lamanites).

15 minutes ago, Vort said:

This is a false dichotomy. That the preaching of the gospel has the long-term effect of publishing peace in no way negates the observation that the Book of Mormon itself points out that Alma's preaching set off a chain of events that resulted in war and the death of many Nephites (and Lamanites).

If you say so.

22 hours ago, Anddenex said:

How have, would, you apply this in your home when correcting behavior with children?

Son #2 did something very inappropriate a couple weeks ago.  It was because Son #4 was being dishonest.  But in context, Son #2's reaction was of greater concern.

STUDY OF BEHAVIOR TYPE RESPONSE: You should not have done that.  That was wrong.  I'm going to punish you for your action so you learn you should not do that.*

STUDY OF PRINCIPLES TYPE RESPONSE:

1. I explained "The Character House" metahor.  He then understood, while not immediate, Son #4 will eventually be punished for his dishonesty.  He had more patience and a greater respect for remaining honest himself.
  2. He was studying the New Testament in Seminary.  I likened him and his brother to the parable of the laborers in the field.  He understood that he had no right to react the way he did.
  3. I pointed out the eternal perspective on things he was placing great value on.  He realized how he was looking at things was quite distorted.

He was much happier afterward.  And he's not as critical of his brother's actions.

*This is not to say that the first method should never be used.  I'd say that there are times it is the more appropriate parental response.  But it is generally short term.  Long term change comes from the second method.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Son #2 did something very inappropriate a couple weeks ago.  It was because Son #4 was being dishonest.  But in context, Son #2's reaction was of greater concern.

STUDY OF BEHAVIOR TYPE RESPONSE: You should not have done that.  That was wrong.  I'm going to punish you for your action so you learn you should not do that.*

STUDY OF PRINCIPLES TYPE RESPONSE:

1. I explained "The Character House" metahor.  He then understood, while not immediate, Son #4 will eventually be punished for his dishonesty.  He had more patience and a greater respect for remaining honest himself.
  2. He was studying the New Testament in Seminary.  I likened him and his brother to the parable of the laborers in the field.  He understood that he had no right to react the way he did.
  3. I pointed out the eternal perspective on things he was placing great value on.  He realized how he was looking at things was quite distorted.

He was much happier afterward.  And he's not as critical of his brother's actions.

*This is not to say that the first method should never be used.  I'd say that there are time it is the more appropriate parental response.  But it is generally short term.  Long term change comes from the second method.

Thank you. Quick Google search for "The Character House" didn't pull anything up for me. What is this metaphor?

13 hours ago, Anddenex said:

This appears to be a personal interpretation, we would disagree that this verse doesn't support this idea. Preaching the word can have multiple affects on people. If a person loves truth, they will rejoice in truth, or like Laman and Lemuel the truth is hard against us if we aren't living according to the truth and aren't humble to accept it. Either way, we still teach truth because the word of God, understood, will have a more powerful affect.

Example #1 from the Church manuals: "Leaders’ most powerful teaching comes from their personal example. Leaders also teach by sharing their testimonies and conducting doctrinally based discussions in leadership meetings, classes, and activities. They teach from the scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets. They know that “the preaching of the word … [has] more powerful effect … than the sword, or anything else” (Alma 31:5)."

Example #2, "Ask students to imagine that they have the opportunity to advise Alma on how to resolve his concerns about the Zoramites. Ask students what they would suggest he do. Invite a student to read Alma 31:5 aloud. Ask the class to look for what Alma knew would be the most effective way to help the Zoramites."

Example#3, "Ponder the following statement from President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, about the power of the word of God:

“True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior.

“The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior. Preoccupation with unworthy behavior can lead to unworthy behavior. That is why we stress so forcefully the study of the doctrines of the gospel” (“Little Children,” Ensign, Nov. 1986, 17).

Based on Alma 31:5 and President Packer’s statement, finish the following principle: As I study the word of God, it will lead me to ____________________________________________________________________________________________________.

Example#4, Church Handbook of Instruction, "5.5 Teaching the Gospel: Effective gospel teaching helps people grow in their testimonies and their faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. It strengthens members in their efforts to live according to gospel principles. When God’s word is taught with spiritual power, it has a “more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than … anything else” (Alma 31:5). Priesthood and auxiliary leaders encourage effective teaching in their organizations. They remember that Church members attend meetings seeking the power, peace, and inspiration provided by the word of God."

Example #5, "Alma 31:5—The Power of the Word: It is interesting to note that Alma sought to solve a political problem with a spiritual cure. The Nephites were worried that the Zoramites might stir up the Lamanites to war against the Nephites. Alma felt that the best way to prevent that was to preach the gospel to the Zoramites so that they might experience a change of heart. Alma chose to work on the cause of the problem, not the symptoms.

In a talk entitled “The Power of the Word,” President Ezra Taft Benson counseled priesthood leaders about working on the roots of problems in the Church: “Often we spend great effort in trying to increase the activity levels in our stakes. We work diligently to raise the percentages of those attending sacrament meetings. We labor to get a higher percentage of our young men on missions. We strive to improve the numbers of those marrying in the temple. All of these are commendable efforts and important to the growth of the kingdom. But when individual members and families immerse themselves in the scriptures regularly and consistently, these other areas of activity will automatically come. Testimonies will increase. Commitment will be strengthened. Families will be fortified. Personal revelation will flow” (Ensign, May 1986, 81)."

Either you have come to an esoteric knowledge that even Church leadership hasn't come to, or Alma 31: 5, does indeed support the notion. I would say it supports the notion 100%.

I think the essential idea contained in Alma 31:5 is that the preaching of the word has a powerful effect on the minds of the people, and the effect it has is a tendency to lead the people to do that which was just.

Both common sense and the weight of scriptural evidence do not seem to support this proposition.

The common sense view is that it is not the preaching of the word which has a powerful effect on the minds of the people, it is their acceptance of, adherence to, and application of, the word that has the powerful effect, not the preaching of it. History is very clear in showing that of all those who hear the word, only a tiny percentage accept, adhere and apply it, and for that tiny percentage, yes, the preaching of the word bring about a powerful effect on their minds, but for the vast majority, the preaching either has no effect, or ill effects.

This is what Christ said would be the effect of His gospel and His preaching:

(New Testament | Matthew 10:34 - 35)

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35  For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Consider the following scriptural examples:

This is how the Pharisees reacted to the preaching of the word by the greatest Preacher ever

(New Testament | Matthew 12:14)

14  ¶ Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him.

(New Testament | Matthew 27:20 - 25)

But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitude that they should ask Barabbas, and destroy Jesus.

21  The governor answered and said unto them, Whether of the twain will ye that I release unto you?  They said, Barabbas.

22  Pilate saith unto them, What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ?  They all say unto him, Let him be crucified.

23  And the governor said, Why, what evil hath he done?  But they cried out the more, saying, Let him be crucified.

24  ¶ When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it.

25  Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

Herod’s reaction to the preaching of the word by John

(New Testament | Matthew 14:1 - 10)

3  ¶ For Herod had laid hold on John, and bound him, and put him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife.

4  For John said unto him, It is not lawful for thee to have her.

10  And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison.

The reaction of the Jews to Paul’s preaching

(New Testament | Acts 17:1 - 5)

NOW when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:

2  And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

3  Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

4  And some of them believed, and consorted with Paul and Silas; and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few.

5  ¶ But the Jews which believed not, moved with envy, took unto them certain lewd fellows of the baser sort, and gathered a company, and set all the city on an uproar, and assaulted the house of Jason, and sought to bring them out to the people.

Further Jewish reaction to Paul’s preaching of the word

(New Testament | 2 Corinthians 11:24 - 26)

4 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.

25  Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

The reaction of the Lamanites to the efforts of Jacob and others to the preaching of the word

(Book of Mormon | Jacob 7:24)

24  And it came to pass that many means were devised to reclaim and restore the Lamanites to the knowledge of the truth; but it all was vain, for they delighted in wars and bloodshed, and they had an eternal hatred against us, their brethren.  And they sought by the power of their arms to destroy us continually.

The reaction of American citizens 172 years ago

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 135:1 - 3)
1  TO seal the testimony of this book and the Book of Mormon, we announce the martyrdom of Joseph Smith the Prophet, and Hyrum Smith the Patriarch.  They were shot in Carthage jail, on the 27th of June, 1844, about five o'clock p.m., by an armed mob—painted black—of from 150 to 200 persons.  Hyrum was shot first and fell calmly, exclaiming: I am a dead man!  Joseph leaped from the window, and was shot dead in the attempt, exclaiming: O Lord my God!  They were both shot after they were dead, in a brutal manner, and both received four balls.

3  Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it.  In the short space of twenty years, he has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents; has sent the fulness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth; has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men; gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain.  He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord's anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood; and so has his brother Hyrum.  In life they were not divided, and in death they were not separated!

In more modern times, we have the persecution of the early Saints, culminating in the extermination order of former Governor Lilburn Boggs and the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum, as examples of the effect that the preaching of the word can have on the minds of the people. Surely, it would not have been necessary for the early Saints to so frequently flee persecution if the effect of the preaching by the missionaries of the time was to bring about a powerful and positive effect in the minds of those who heard the word. In our own time, we have the prohibitions by many countries on the entry of missionaries, most noticeably many middle eastern countries and China, because of a fear by those countries that the preaching of the word will destroy their craft.

I think it is safe to conclude that more often than not, the effect of preaching the word is to stir up a vigorous, and usually successful counter-effort by opposing forces, led by the evil one, to negate any beneficial attempts that the preaching might have. This seems to be what happened with Alma and the Zoramites – their preaching, as has happened so many times, in so many places, caused a backlash amongst those who already had a way of life they were comfortable with, and that the devil was very happy for them to continue enjoying.

Keeping in mind the common sense view as stated above, I think a more helpful and more accurate wording of the idea that Alma was trying to express in 31:5 would be

(Book of Mormon | Alma 31:5)

And now, as the preaching acceptance and living of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God.

I think that the preaching of the word is more likely to have a powerful effect on the minds of the people when those people have already accepted and are living the word. That is when, and among whom, the preaching is likely to have a powerful effect. The preaching of the word is less likely to have a powerful, positive effect when those to whom it is being preached have not already accepted it and are not already living it. The word, when preached with power, to those who have already accepted it, is likely to have a powerful effect on the minds of those who hear it. This idea is supported by your example 4 which states It (the preaching of the word) strengthens members in their efforts to live according to gospel principles. When God’s word is taught with spiritual power, it has a “more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than … anything else” (Alma 31:5). When the word is preached to those who have not yet accepted it, I think the scriptural examples referred to above, and the example of Alma and the Zoramites show what usually happens – a very small minority accept it while the rest rebel against it. This outcome would be consistent with what Christ said, in the verse quoted above:

35  For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Edited by askandanswer