Who thinks the Word of Wisdom needs updating?

On 2/6/2017 at 11:51 AM, Traveler said:

Actually there have been times in human history that there have been efforts to update various commandments.  Jesus was once asked about updating the commandments and their priorities.  His response was if we just updated just two commandments: first to love G-d and second to love our neighbor that we would not need to update any other commandments.  That was 2,000 years ago – how did that work out????

I forget who it was that pointed out how bad we are at this stuff:

He started us on 613 mitzvot, and we didn't even come close

Pared it down to 7 Noahide laws, and we were sort of OK for a while

Dropped the weird one and put in four more for an even ten

We weren't any good at that, so He cut it down to two really simple rules

And if you skip to the end of the Book you'll find we still screw it up.

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2017 at 5:23 PM, Fether said:

Well... to be fair... refraining from eating healthy is already against the word of wisdom. Drinking 2 meters of soda a day is too. You may not get a reccemend revoked or lose a calling over it, but you will still lose the spirit, your priesthood will be diminished and the power and authority you carry will be restrained. D+C 89 and prophets teach pretty clearly we are suppose to take care of our bodies. 

Sugar isn't bad, fat isn't bad, etc. but taking an excess amount is. I believe that only eating apples for a week straight would also be breaking the WOW.

Along with that, using self mastery in WOW will increase your self mastery against other sins.

I've never known a great priesthood leader that doesn't eat healthy and take care of himself.

Where did a Prophet or GA state that amount of soda specifically?

2 hours ago, Christ's Gospel said:

Where did a Prophet or GA state that amount of soda specifically?

It's the spirit of the law. The WOW is there to help us be healthy. It isn't just a list of things to stay away from because God said so. 

No one has made a statement on the amount because we don't need to be commanded in all tings. Soda is bad for you and no one can argue that. I think the more healthy you eat, the more of the blessings found in the WOW I'm d+c 89 you will see in your life.

Is it a damnable sin to drink soda? Well that depends on what you mean, but drinking a soda won't risk your salvation. But gluteny or lust toward anything will hurt you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 10:07 PM, Maureen said:

That is a myth, milk does not produce mucus. :)

M.

On 2/11/2017 at 4:06 AM, Suzie said:

I'm sorry Maureen, we will have to agree to disagree on that one. I have been studying this for years, there is so much more that meets the eye specially the amount of money that the meat, egg and dairy industry is willing to pay to make people believe otherwise and not lose money. If only people knew what these people are willing to do and they care nothing about our health. I always invite people to do their own research and not take my word for it. If you do not mind and you are interested, I will send you some links privately with a scientific-based approach if you wish to discuss this further, so the thread stays on topic.

On purely anecdotal notes, I have to side with Suzie. I severely limit my dairy because I have a mucous problem. For what it's worth for me, it helps me a ton to limit dairy. 

I went and asked the bishop if my 6 diet coke a day habit was going to endanger my salvation.

He said I was good.

Cheers!  :D

Edited by DoctorLemon

4 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

I went and asked the bishop if my 6 diet coke a day habit was going to endanger my salvation.

He said I was good.

Cheers!  :D

Coke is horrible but Diet Coke I am pretty sure was invented by the devil himself. :estaloco:

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, DoctorLemon said:

Might not effect your salvation, but it'll effect your teeth, risk of future diabetes, mood, and many other things. :P

24 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Sometimes I do want to go where everybody knows my name.

Unfortunately, the closest I can get is Mormonhub . . . 

Edited by DoctorLemon

2 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Everyone's a WOW expert for everyone else. May I say for the record that you're all full of it...in my humble opinion. ;)

Well, I'm full of kim chee. Which brings up my next point.  Why does the WoW not require everyone to eat more kim chee?  I think that's a weakness in the policy.  I'm going to have to take it up with God.  Obviously the prophet is not as in tune as I am.

The spiciness will have to be dealt with on an individual basis.  We all have our trials.  You just need to get used to the spice, I'm afraid.  The smell is something of an acquired sense.  As you pray and ponder, you'll begin to see the great symbolism of having to wade through the mists of pungency to get to the fruit of the tree of life just sprung from a week long pickling.

Edited by Guest

Diet Coke is OK. My chiropractor has been preaching against it since forever. But when I went to Israel one of my traveling companions was a medical doctor. He was drinking Diet Coke, just like me. I queried him about the health effects, and he stated that it was fine. All the so called studies that found it was bad were almost all done by people with an agenda. 

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

Diet Coke is OK. My chiropractor has been preaching against it since forever. But when I went to Israel one of my traveling companions was a medical doctor

In a battle between a medical doctor and a chiropractor, choose the medical doctor 99.9% of the time. 

45 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

In a battle between a medical doctor and a chiropractor, choose the medical doctor 99.9% of the time. 

But in this one instance, I'd believe it to be the 0.1% where the chiropractor is probably right.

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

But in this one instance, I'd believe it to be the 0.1% where the chiropractor is probably right.

Moderation is key. One diet soda a week will not have a grave detriment to your health.  

Just now, MormonGator said:

Moderation is key. One diet soda a week will not have a grave detriment to your health.  

I was more concerned about the caffeine.  He said "Coke" not "soda".  But, yes, one a week probably won't do much.