Who thinks the Word of Wisdom needs updating?

WOW should be revised to allow coffee and tea. Whatever rationale was used originally to name these as hot drinks is no longer extant. Studies in general, show these to be relatively benign, even beneficial. 

Certainly they are arguably healthier than sugary sodas and energy drinks loaded with chemicals. 

Edited by mrmarklin

4 hours ago, zil said:

I tried fiction food once.  It was a beautiful array, but it wasn't at all satisfying.

I think this is what fiction food tastes like

(Old Testament | Isaiah 29:8)
8  It shall even be as when an hungry man dreameth, and, behold, he eateth; but he awaketh, and his soul is empty: or as when a thirsty man dreameth, and, behold, he drinketh; but he awaketh, and, behold, he is faint, and his soul hath appetite:

Edited by askandanswer

If there was to be an update to the WOW, it might be to clarify whether or not its ok to use medically prescribed marijuana. I suspect there are a variety of opinions and practices amongst members on this question based on differing interpretations of the WOW and some clarification might be helpful. 

7 hours ago, zil said:

I tried fiction food once.  It was a beautiful array, but it wasn't at all satisfying.

Why does this statement remind me of this verse, "And all the nations that fight against Zion, and that distress her, shall be as a dream of a night vision; yea, it shall be unto them, even as unto a hungry man which dreameth, and behold he eateth but he awaketh and his soul is empty; or like unto a thirsty man which dreameth, and behold he drinketh but he awaketh and behold he is faint, and his soul hath appetite; yea, even so shall the multitude of all the nations be that fight against Mount Zion." (2 Nephi 27:3)

Fortunately though, I can say your soul isn't empty ;)

EDIT: Ah SHOOT! I just saw @askandanswer beat me to my punch line...RRRR!

Edited by Anddenex

4 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

WOW should be revised to allow coffee and tea. Whatever rationale was used originally to name these as hot drinks is no longer extant. Studies in general, show these to be relatively benign, even beneficial. 

Certainly they are arguably healthier than sugary sodas and energy drinks loaded with chemicals. 

Now who here would like to do the updating?

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 67:5 - 9)
 Your eyes have been upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and his language you have known, and his imperfections you have known; and you have sought in your hearts knowledge that you might express beyond his language; this you also know.
6  Now, seek ye out of the Book of Commandments, even the least that is among them, and appoint him that is the most wise among you;
7  Or, if there be any among you that shall make one like unto it, then ye are justified in saying that ye do not know that they are true;
8  But if ye cannot make one like unto it, ye are under condemnation if ye do not bear record that they are true.
9  For ye know that there is no unrighteousness in them, and that which is righteous cometh down from above, from the Father of lights.

Guest MormonGator
9 hours ago, askandanswer said:

If there was to be an update to the WOW, it might be to clarify whether or not its ok to use medically prescribed marijuana. I suspect there are a variety of opinions and practices amongst members on this question based on differing interpretations of the WOW and some clarification might be helpful. 

Absolutely true. While I don't think that medical marijuana can cure cancer and AIDS like some people say it can, I am one hundred percent convinced that it can alleviate the symptoms of those dying of cancer and AIDS.  

11 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

Yeah, good luck with that.  The Original Abrahamic Covenant posse are, (after what, 5000 years?) still using two sets of dishes and refusing to eat bacon.

15 hours ago, priesthoodpower said:

2016 was a learning year for my health because I was close to being pre-diabetic. I blame myself for getting out of the habit of exercise and becoming addicted to sugary drinks and fast foods. It has been really hard cutting out soda, hamburgers and other junk foods, I have lessen my intake but havent completely stopped. If the word of wisdom was updated to include abstaining from all coke and pepsi soda drinks I would have the motivation to cut it completely. Considering 600,000 americans die from heart disease (diet related) and only 160,000 die from lung cancer (tobacco) doesnt it make sense for our word of wisdom be updated? Doesnt Satan want us to be slaves to our bodies yet religion gives us commandments to follow that help prevent that from happening? Most commandants are over 100 years old and older.

Except... the Church is worldwide and not just American.

The thing is, we don't need the Word of Wisdom to ban things to get us healthy.  Rather, it is the principle of the Word of Wisdom that gets us out of danger territory.  We don't have to be told that we shouldn't consume gallons of sugary drinks to stay healthy.  Tons of Filipinos drink sugary drinks - matter of fact, I grew up drinking Coke everyday, of course, in the Philippines Coke is expensive so my family of 6 buy a 1-liter Coke bottle to share for afternoon snacks.  But just because it is cheap in America doesn't mean you should guzzle all 1 liter by yourself in one sitting everyday.

WoW should not have to ban fatty pizza just because Americans eat too much of it.  WoW shouldn't have to ban Red Bull because Americans have a strange addiction to it.  WoW shouldn't have to be updated everytime some modern invention like vaping comes along.  Rather, Americans should be smarter about their life choices... which is what the WoW teaches.

7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

WoW should not have to ban fatty pizza just because Americans eat too much of it.  WoW shouldn't have to ban Red Bull because Americans have a strange addiction to it.  WoW shouldn't have to be updated everytime some modern invention like vaping comes along.  Rather, Americans should be smarter about their life choices... which is what the WoW teaches.

In other words...

Doctrine and Covenants 58:26

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

...and...

Mosiah 4:29

29 And finally, I cannot tell you all the things whereby ye may commit sin; for there are divers ways and means, even so many that I cannot number them.

11 hours ago, askandanswer said:

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Absolutely true. While I don't think that medical marijuana can cure cancer and AIDS like some people say it can, I am one hundred percent convinced that it can alleviate the symptoms of those dying of cancer and AIDS.  

I submit it is already there.

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man
11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

Cannabis is an annual, dioecious, flowering herb.

Of course, you'll have to follow the Article of Faith that requires us to be subjects to the law of the land.  So, most of the issue with cannabis is not with the Church but with the DEA.

But, having said that, smart choices on the matter as a people who are to govern ourselves point to the mind-altering effects of whole marijuana which caused it to be on the DEA's prohibited list in the first place.  Therefore, the Church gave advicement to the people of Utah to oppose SB 73.  But, the Church made no such advicement against SB 89.

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yeah, good luck with that.  The Original Abrahamic Covenant posse are, (after what, 5000 years?) still using two sets of dishes and refusing to eat bacon.

Do Mormons follow Jewish food laws? If the LDS Church can stop practicing plural marriage (among the living) then it's also possible for LDS members to some day enjoy a wonderful cup of coffee (in the 21st century). All things are possible, only believe. ?

M.

17 hours ago, priesthoodpower said:

If the word of wisdom was updated to include abstaining from all coke and pepsi soda drinks I would have the motivation to cut it completely.

I don't get this "If it doesn't keep me from going to the temple then it must not be bad" sort of mentality :/

There is plenty of revelation through prophets telling us to take care of our bodies. Why does it require the threat of taking away one's temple recommend to get us to do things? Having signed piece of paper by no means guarantees us entrance into the celestial kingdom.

29 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Do Mormons follow Jewish food laws? If the LDS Church can stop practicing plural marriage (among the living) then it's also possible for LDS members to some day enjoy a wonderful cup of coffee (in the 21st century). All things are possible, only believe.

We don't follow Jewish food laws.  

Of course it's possible, just again, good luck with that.  These things come from God, not man.  Like when God instituted all those diet commandments in the Old Testament, and then Christ came and changed them, and then later revealed different ones when the WoW was revealed.  

18 hours ago, priesthoodpower said:

2016 was a learning year for my health because I was close to being pre-diabetic. I blame myself for getting out of the habit of exercise and becoming addicted to sugary drinks and fast foods. It has been really hard cutting out soda, hamburgers and other junk foods, I have lessen my intake but havent completely stopped. If the word of wisdom was updated to include abstaining from all coke and pepsi soda drinks I would have the motivation to cut it completely. Considering 600,000 americans die from heart disease (diet related) and only 160,000 die from lung cancer (tobacco) doesnt it make sense for our word of wisdom be updated? Doesnt Satan want us to be slaves to our bodies yet religion gives us commandments to follow that help prevent that from happening? Most commandants are over 100 years old and older.

Pray about your motives, habits and your goals in this area and with the confirmation of he Spirit, you will certainly become motivated. That is the "finding wisdom" part of the blessing in keeping the commandment as it currently interpreted by our leaders, and is part of another promise which can be had on an individual level: "Yea, blessed are they whose feet stand upon the land of Zion, who have obeyed my gospel; for they shall receive for their reward the good things of the earth, and it shall bring forth in its strength. And they shall also be crowned with blessings from above, yea, and with commandments not a few, and with revelations in their time—they that are faithful and diligent before me."

5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I was probably more in the "No marijuana EVER" camp... Then I had to watch my dad dying of liver failure, with some lovely nighttime dementia that gave him horrible, terrifying hallucinations. At that point, the benefits of MJ sounded darn good, and in fact we would have given him some via food had he not declined and died so much faster than anyone thought. 

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I was probably more in the "No marijuana EVER" camp... Then I had to watch my dad dying of liver failure, with some lovely nighttime dementia that gave him horrible, terrifying hallucinations. At that point, the benefits of MJ sounded darn good, and in fact we would have given him some via food had he not declined and died so much faster than anyone thought. 

So sorry about your dad. Horrible, just horrible. 

My personal view is that we need to legalize recreational use of marijuana to those over 21. I seem to be on the winning side of that argument, because it's probably going to happen in all fifty states in the next decade or so. 

14 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

So sorry about your dad. Horrible, just horrible. 

My personal view is that we need to legalize recreational use of marijuana to those over 21. I seem to be on the winning side of that argument, because it's probably going to happen in all fifty states in the next decade or so. 

Doesn't matter one wit.  The same way that the Florida bill defining marriage as between man and woman doesn't matter one wit.  Fed law trumps State law.

And this is the thing... Legalizing something in State Law is silly.  Everything except when it contradicts the Constitutional Bill of Rights is Legal by default.  So legalization in States, in my opinion, hurts the pro-MJ cause because they think the work (and the discussion) is done.  No.  What needs to be done is to get the Feds to remove MJ from the DEA list.  Then each State can craft their own laws surrounding the banning of MJ for their State.  This is how the law is supposed to work... the rights are retained by the people until a majority of them hand it over to the States.  The rights are retained by the States until a majority of them hand it over to the Feds.

Edited by anatess2

Legalizing recreational marijuana is a terrible idea. I've scene it affect people that I've known personally. They call it "the gateway drug" for a reason. When you make it legal, people don't see it as the drug it is and it becomes much easier for underage people to get their hands on it. I have some family in Oregon and it has become a HUGE problem there. When I go visit them, there's pot shops all over. Sometimes there is two or three that you can see from one spot. Sad. 

Edited by Larry Cotrell

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

Legalizing recreational marijuana is a terrible idea. I've scene it affect people that I've known personally. They call it "the gateway drug" for a reason. When you make it legal, it becomes much easier for underage people to get their hands on it. I have some family in Oregon and it has become a HUGE problem there. When I go visit them, there's pot shops all over. Sometimes there is two or three that you can see from one spot. Sad. 

It's become legal in several states. Colorado, Oregon, California, Maine, Massachusetts-I'm sure there are others.You have every right to argue and debate it being legal of course-but like gay marriage the horse is already out of the barn and if you think you are going to ban it again-I wish you the best of luck. 

17 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It's become legal in several states. Colorado, Oregon, California, Maine, Massachusetts-I'm sure there are others.You have every right to argue and debate it being legal of course-but like gay marriage the horse is already out of the barn and if you think you are going to ban it again-I wish you the best of luck. 

I am not arguing that legalization won't happen, just that I wish it didn't. I realize that it is inevitable that it will be legal all across the nation before too long. 

My biggest worry with legalizing marijuana and gay marriage is what's next? Cocaine? Marrying Relatives?

Edited by Larry Cotrell

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

I am not arguing that legalization won't happen, just that I wish it didn't. I realize that it is inevitable that it will be legal all across the nation before too long. 

My biggest worry with legalizing marijuana and gay marriage is what's next? Cocaine? Marrying Relatives?

I understand where you are coming from. It sounds like a slippery slope, doesn't it? 

• pam unfeatured this topic