Who is to blame for the recent hate crimes?

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet
3 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

The vast majority of the reporting on "hate" crimes by the Gadianton media is nothing more than hype.  Crimes of black against white are ignored while crimes of white against black are hyped and blown all out of proportion.  If you take a look at crime statistics, you will see some shocking numbers.

I understand your cognitive dissonance leads you to this ad Hominem attack.   It's for this reason precisely (cognitive dissonance) that I've all but stopped having these kinds of discussions.  We will just have to disagree. 

8 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I understand your cognitive dissonance leads you to this ad Hominem attack.   It's for this reason precisely (cognitive dissonance) that I've all but stopped having these kinds of discussions.  We will just have to disagree. 

I'm not sure I understand this post, LP.  Are you saying Jojo used the Media for the ad hominem attack?  Also, can you just clarify the cognifitive dissonance?  There might be some history in this discussion that I'm missing, if so, just tell me it's a long story.  ;)

Guest LiterateParakeet
38 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I'm not sure I understand this post, LP.  Are you saying Jojo used the Media for the ad hominem attack?  Also, can you just clarify the cognifitive dissonance?  There might be some history in this discussion that I'm missing, if so, just tell me it's a long story.  ;)

Yes, I was referring to the media as the receiver of the ad hominen attack. To me it seems like a distraction to use terms like Gadianton media rather than speak about the topic directly. Perhaps I chose the wrong fallacy, there are a couple others that I think could apply.  These stories aren't just coming from the "liberal media" they come from every day people via social media. People sharing what they have experienced. 

What I mean about cognitive dissonance  (and why I am becoming increasingly reluctant to discuss things with people who disagree) is the knee jerk reaction we all have (yes, me too) to reject information that conflicts with our existing beliefs even if the new information is true. Some say cognitive dissonance is uncomfortable feelings we get when information challenges our beliefs. It all boils down to the same thing, I think.

How to overcome it in ourselves and others, I don't know.  I try to combat it in myself making a daily effort to be open minded, but at the same time we should not allow ourselves to be swayed by every new idea or opinion that comes along. And getting someone else to accept a new idea is even harder still.  So what to do?  

I know some would say "pray about it" that's great but as we see here daily, even LDS people who are trying to do what is right dont always agree on what the truth is. 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

@LiterateParakeet  Well the holy ghost will testify to you of truth if you pray and being members doesnt automatically mean we all have the spirit with us 100% of the time(i think that is called an appeal to authority maybe? The fallacy that just be ause we're members we must all have a certain level of spiritual clarity or closeness to God). I think in this day and age, "pray about it" is the perfect advice to finding truth because there are conditions implied in there that will make your answres clearer or not. You can ask all you want but without that contrite spirit and broken heart you're not going to understand an answer if you receive one. 

Edited by a mustard seed

Guest LiterateParakeet
55 minutes ago, a mustard seed said:

I think in this day and age, "pray about it" is the perfect advice to finding truth because there are conditions implied in there that will make your answres clearer or not. You can ask all you want but without that contrite spirit and broken heart you're not going to understand an answer if you receive one. 

I agree with this and the rest of your post.  But all I'm saying is that it's complicated.  Pres. Uchtdorf explains it better than I can in his talk:

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/dieter-f-uchtdorf_what-is-truth/

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...