Which Ink? (or: This place is too serious right now.)

zil

Inky Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which ink should Zil put in her Holy Grail pen?

• Robert Oster Fire & Ice
    • De Atramentis Indigo Blue
    • Nope, give us another choice

So, this place has been far too serious today, and my holy grail pen arrives tomorrow, and I'm having a hard time deciding what ink should be its first - though I've narrowed it down to my top two (I think - there are numerous I could choose), so help me out here....  The pen is a demonstrator - meaning you can see the ink (the barrel is partly clear - it also has blue, gray, and while swirls).  Here are pictures of the two inks:

Robert Oster Fire & Ice

5fc80ecc-9f67-41ad-94fc-ef4d4195b573

Or De Atramentis Indigo Blue

f01cb176-cc6f-4f19-8fd7-b0a162791108

So far, among my IRL friends, one of these is getting all the votes, but I wouldn't want to sway your vote. :)

(I've researched both inks, and each would make a better president than most, if not all, of our recent options, but they didn't want to run, so we'll just have to stick with putting them in my pen rather than the White House.)

This is not a fair presentation.  There's no drip test on the blue making it seem like it doesn't drip or smear.  And the blue had better handwriting.  So, obviously, I'm gonna vote for the Fire & Ice because I just have to go with the underdog.

C'mon Fire!  Let's make America handwrite again!

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

This is not a fair presentation.  There's no drip test on the blue making it seem like it doesn't drip or smear.  And the blue had better handwriting.  So, obviously, I'm gonna vote for the Fire & Ice because I just have to go with the underdog.

I assume Fire and Ice is the clear front-runner, what with its beautiful green tinge and two-tone effect. I'm actually fond of the Indigo Blue color, but based on zil's presentation, I'd have to go with the Fire and Ice, too.

Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  

Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  Emerald GREEN.  

In case I didn't make my position clear, I like green.

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

In case I didn't make my position clear, I like green.

Per above, I can't order new greens.  The only greens I have are:

f6ea9702-eece-4fbb-b8f4-3efe024f4df7

and:

24576f65-b1bc-4953-923c-066fb68aae3b

I also have some teal-ish colors, if you need to see those (more teal than Fire & Ice).

8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Both inks are new, so I haven't tested them myself.  However, I've used other De Atramentis inks, and under water, the color tends to wash away and leave a very faint grey1 behind - easily readable, but faint.

1 Grey because they're made by a German family.  If the ink were made in America, it would leave a faint gray behind.

I could unfairly influence our Aussie friends by saying that Robert Oster is an Australian ink (made by some dude named Robert Oster :D ).  It's new and all the rage in the fountain pen world.  (Not that De Atramentis isn't popular itself.)

13 minutes ago, zil said:

Per above, I can't order new greens. ...

Too bad you sent me the only emerald green pen. (cynical laughter) With this power I could RULE THE WORLD!!! (maniacal laughter).

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

This is not a fair presentation.  There's no drip test on the blue making it seem like it doesn't drip or smear.

PS: The vast majority of fountain pen inks are not water resistant - they are, after all, about 90% water and work by being liquidy (capillary action pulls them to the nib).  Those which are water resistant must be used with care: if they dry in your pen, you're gonna have a hard time getting them out of the pen - if that's even possible - because the thing you use to clean a pen is.....water!  They're also more difficult to use because they tend to dry on the nib, not flow as well, etc.  I do have some water resistant inks, including at least one "bulletproof"1 ink, but I don't think I'll be using them in this pen.

1 A particular ink-maker created an ink to be used for things like writing checks, where you want to ensure it can't be washed off the paper and the check re-written by an evil person.  He put it out there and offered a reward to anyone who could get it off the paper without ruining the paper in the process.  Some MIT students managed to do this with a laser, so our ink manufacturer went back to work and created bulletproof inks - they cannot be removed from paper, not even by a laser. :)

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Too bad you sent me the only emerald green pen. (cynical laughter) With this power I could RULE THE WORLD!!! (maniacal laughter).

Hmm.  Right.  You have the only emerald green....

https://www.gouletpens.com/ink-samples/c/21/?pageSize=100&sortBy=productName%2Basc&facetValueFilter=Tenant~Ink_Color%3Agreen

http://www.andersonpens.com/ink-samples-s/1922.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=1922&f-Green=2233&show=150&page=1

...The Visconti Green and Montblanc Irish Green (samples) are on my wishlists.  It seems like there's some other green that I liked, that's getting rave reviews, but I can't remember what it is right now.

1 hour ago, zil said:

Hmm.  Right.  You have the only emerald green....

https://www.gouletpens.com/ink-samples/c/21/?pageSize=100&sortBy=productName%2Basc&facetValueFilter=Tenant~Ink_Color%3Agreen

http://www.andersonpens.com/ink-samples-s/1922.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=1922&f-Green=2233&show=150&page=1

...The Visconti Green and Montblanc Irish Green (samples) are on my wishlists.  It seems like there's some other green that I liked, that's getting rave reviews, but I can't remember what it is right now.

All I ask for is just a day or two to bask in my megalomaniacal fantasy land of emerald green majesty and you can't let it last even an hour?  That's it!  You're officially off my leaderboard.

1 hour ago, zil said:

PS: The vast majority of fountain pen inks are not water resistant - they are, after all, about 90% water and work by being liquidy (capillary action pulls them to the nib).  Those which are water resistant must be used with care: if they dry in your pen, you're gonna have a hard time getting them out of the pen - if that's even possible - because the thing you use to clean a pen is.....water!  They're also more difficult to use because they tend to dry on the nib, not flow as well, etc.  I do have some water resistant inks, including at least one "bulletproof"1 ink, but I don't think I'll be using them in this pen.

1 A particular ink-maker created an ink to be used for things like writing checks, where you want to ensure it can't be washed off the paper and the check re-written by an evil person.  He put it out there and offered a reward to anyone who could get it off the paper without ruining the paper in the process.  Some MIT students managed to do this with a laser, so our ink manufacturer went back to work and created bulletproof inks - they cannot be removed from paper, not even by a laser. :)

Ohhh... I am enamoured1 by that bulletproof ink!  @Mirkwood would love that in blood red.  I'd love bulletproof in Fire & Ice.  I'm sure you'll make sure it doesn't dry off on your pen.

1I'm assuming that bulletproof ink is made somewhere else other than the US, otherwise, it will be enamored.

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

All I ask for is just a day or two to bask in my megalomaniacal fantasy land of emerald green majesty and you can't let it last even an hour?  That's it!  You're officially off my leaderboard.

Sorry. :embarrassed: Would it help to know that to my memory, there are almost no green pens out there?  So while green ink may not be unusual, green ink in a pen with green accents is awfully rare, so you could bask in that for a time... :sun::notworthy:

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Ohhh... I am enamoured1 by that bulletproof ink!  @Mirkwood would love that in blood red.  I'd love bulletproof in Fire & Ice.  I'm sure you'll make sure it doesn't dry off on your pen.

1I'm assuming that bulletproof ink is made somewhere else other than the US, otherwise, it will be enamored.

Bulletproof ink is made by Noodlers, an American company (consisting of one man, as far as we know) (though it's not certain whether the ink is made in the US or not, we think it is - all by one dude in Massachusetts - by hand - that's the best intel we have - ink makers are notoriously secretive, lest people start making their own ink at home - yes, some people really do that).  The most blood-red bulletproof ink I could find is (and I think the name might be a plus (I'll have to go find Empire Green for @Carborendum)):

665f0b1a-dc4e-4d0c-899b-f4cf9a864bac

There may be other ink brands which are bulletproof, but no one's advertising, and few of us have the resources to test with lasers. :lol:

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Which ink? 

Zil I've told you not to get that tear drop tattoo! 

Read further, Gator - this is for a pen.  You're the tattoo person in the family. :P

Edited by zil
corrected shameful grammar error!

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

Read further, Gator - this is for a pen.  Your the tattoo person in the family. :P

:: cough cough :: whatever you say Miss Zil. Whatever you say. 

5 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

:shout: how about something towards the violet spectrum....

Oh yes, you have several choices (and, Noodler's make a rollerball pen, and brush pen, and you can use these inks in marker and highlighter style pens, if you don't want a fountain pen - which would just be weird, but whatever - if you want links to the non-fountain pens that will use FP ink, let me know).  I'm gonna post links so the image load isn't so great:

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/d588a2cf-5ddf-4814-8a18-e2866f227853

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/b050f55e-c5d6-4bed-a822-59087bf86a2c

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/25ff4817-4d00-4c48-ae40-1402496e0644

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/665aab8e-5325-44de-88fd-0c5ba4c9f4d2

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/79b7c135-5d79-4d4a-8d35-35b123c29bd5

...that last one is quite popular (but it's also the bluest of them).

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic