Which Ink? (or: This place is too serious right now.)

zil

Inky Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which ink should Zil put in her Holy Grail pen?

• Robert Oster Fire & Ice
    • De Atramentis Indigo Blue
    • Nope, give us another choice

38 minutes ago, zil said:

Oh yes, you have several choices (and, Noodler's make a rollerball pen, and brush pen, and you can use these inks in marker and highlighter style pens, if you don't want a fountain pen - which would just be weird, but whatever - if you want links to the non-fountain pens that will use FP ink, let me know).  I'm gonna post links so the image load isn't so great:

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/d588a2cf-5ddf-4814-8a18-e2866f227853

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/b050f55e-c5d6-4bed-a822-59087bf86a2c

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/25ff4817-4d00-4c48-ae40-1402496e0644

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/665aab8e-5325-44de-88fd-0c5ba4c9f4d2

https://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/79b7c135-5d79-4d4a-8d35-35b123c29bd5

...that last one is quite popular (but it's also the bluest of them).

SOCRATES IS IT!

By the way... I'm really not much of a fountain pen enthusiast... what I am hoping for is that I can start a pen-pal club whose aim is to preserve the art of handwriting in this digital world...

14 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

SOCRATES IS IT!

By the way... I'm really not much of a fountain pen enthusiast... what I am hoping for is that I can start a pen-pal club whose aim is to preserve the art of handwriting in this digital world...

Well, you've picked the right time - February is InCoWriMo (International Correspondence Writing Month), wherein you write and deliver (either to the PO or in person) a letter every day.  If you don't have people to write to, there are people on the web site who have signed up to receive letters.  You can sign up too and receive letters from strangers.  (I'm thinking I want to get a PO box instead of putting my address out there, but haven't pulled the trigger).  The Fountain Pen Network also has various snail mail threads and lists, for folks who want to find pen-pals. :)

So, you're not alone in the world, there are plenty of people out there interested in the same thing.

See also: Original InCoWriMo site.

14 minutes ago, zil said:

Well, you've picked the right time - February is InCoWriMo (International Correspondence Writing Month), wherein you write and deliver (either to the PO or in person) a letter every day.  If you don't have people to write to, there are people on the web site who have signed up to receive letters.  You can sign up too and receive letters from strangers.  (I'm thinking I want to get a PO box instead of putting my address out there, but haven't pulled the trigger).  The Fountain Pen Network also has various snail mail threads and lists, for folks who want to find pen-pals. :)

So, you're not alone in the world, there are plenty of people out there interested in the same thing.

See also: Original InCoWriMo site.

You rock, zil!  This is exactly the place I need. 

I guess I'll need a regular fountain pen (not bulletproof) for my personal ink!  Fire & Ice.  That's the ticket.  Is it as good as a De Atramentis?

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

You rock, zil!  This is exactly the place I need. 

I guess I'll need a regular fountain pen (not bulletproof) for my personal ink!  Fire & Ice.  That's the ticket.  Is it as good as a De Atramentis?

:) I don't know yet whether the Fire & Ice is as good as De Atramentis - I've never used any Robert Oster inks (though I may be using it later today...my pen is on the truck, out for delivery).  But the reputation of the Robert Oster inks is very good.

If you wish, PM me your address and I'll ship you one of my give-away pens (non-disposable, so you could fill it from a sample, or bottle if you want to risk it sight unseen1, of Fire & Ice) - I have 4 left. :)

1 Cameras, scanners, and computer monitors always morph colors - for that matter, so do different nibs, so until you've tried it in your pen, you can't be sure of the actual color.

1 minute ago, askandanswer said:

Do you mean to imply that there is some form of ink that does not come out of a printer? What good would such ink be, what on earth could it be used for?

Clearly, you're an uncivilized cyborg into whose memory banks the finer arts of handwriting and letter-writing were never uploaded.

5 minutes ago, zil said:

:) I don't know yet whether the Fire & Ice is as good as De Atramentis - I've never used any Robert Oster inks (though I may be using it later today...my pen is on the truck, out for delivery).  But the reputation of the Robert Oster inks is very good.

If you wish, PM me your address and I'll ship you one of my give-away pens (non-disposable, so you could fill it from a sample, or bottle if you want to risk it sight unseen1, of Fire & Ice) - I have 4 left. :)

1 Cameras, scanners, and computer monitors always morph colors - for that matter, so do different nibs, so until you've tried it in your pen, you can't be sure of the actual color.

Whoa!  Awesome!  I'm taking you out of that compound.  You need to move to mine.

:cheerleader:  Hooray, my pen has arrived (actually, it arrived ~3 hours ago, but I had an appointment to go visit a friend who recently returned from a mission to the PCC with her husband, so the pen had to wait).  But when I add up the online votes and IRL votes, we have a tie. :banghead:

I'm thinking I may have to go with Fire & Ice so I can tell @anatess2 how it compares as far as writing pleasure goes... :)

Last chance to get your last-second votes in...

7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

IMO, in real life, the ink is slightly more green/teal than in the picture - but only slightly.  As you can see from the second photo, it is NOT gonna hold up to water.  Until I've had other inks in the pen, I won't be able to say for certain how this ink compares to others (because the nib makes a difference (duh) and this is a new nib - and I dumped the entire sample into this pen before I considered that fact...).

Whatever else is true, it's a fantastic ink - it flows well - no drying out on the nib, shades brilliantly (lighter color at the top, darker where the nib lifts off the paper), it sheens - metallic red outlines around where the ink is heavier - even from my extra fine nib (you can't see that in my photos).

20170120_154508.jpg

20170120_154643.jpg

Edited by zil

21 hours ago, zil said:

So, this place has been far too serious today, and my holy grail pen arrives tomorrow, and I'm having a hard time deciding what ink should be its first - though I've narrowed it down to my top two (I think - there are numerous I could choose), so help me out here....  The pen is a demonstrator - meaning you can see the ink (the barrel is partly clear - it also has blue, gray, and while swirls).  Here are pictures of the two inks:

Robert Oster Fire & Ice

5fc80ecc-9f67-41ad-94fc-ef4d4195b573

Or De Atramentis Indigo Blue

f01cb176-cc6f-4f19-8fd7-b0a162791108

So far, among my IRL friends, one of these is getting all the votes, but I wouldn't want to sway your vote. :)

(I've researched both inks, and each would make a better president than most, if not all, of our recent options, but they didn't want to run, so we'll just have to stick with putting them in my pen rather than the White House.)

Have you done the spray test yet, whereby you inject the ink into a can and then surreptitiously spray it onto a wall at night? 

21 hours ago, zil said:

So, this place has been far too serious today, and my holy grail pen arrives tomorrow, and I'm having a hard time deciding what ink should be its first - though I've narrowed it down to my top two (I think - there are numerous I could choose), so help me out here....  The pen is a demonstrator - meaning you can see the ink (the barrel is partly clear - it also has blue, gray, and while swirls).  Here are pictures of the two inks:

Robert Oster Fire & Ice

5fc80ecc-9f67-41ad-94fc-ef4d4195b573

Or De Atramentis Indigo Blue

f01cb176-cc6f-4f19-8fd7-b0a162791108

So far, among my IRL friends, one of these is getting all the votes, but I wouldn't want to sway your vote. :)

(I've researched both inks, and each would make a better president than most, if not all, of our recent options, but they didn't want to run, so we'll just have to stick with putting them in my pen rather than the White House.)

Have you done the spray test yet, whereby you inject the ink into a can and then surreptitiously spray it onto a wall at night? 

ps

From what I know of polygamous arrangements, I'm surprised that you're even asking this question. As the man of the compound, shouldn't gator be making this decision? Perhaps he has given you enough authority to make it yourself?

Edited by askandanswer

Just now, askandanswer said:

Um, that's paint, not ink.  Clearly your programming got messed up.  You should go in for full diagnostics, the latest patches, and a reboot.

45 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

From what I know of polygamous arrangements, I'm surprised that you're even asking this question. As the man of the compound, shouldn't gator be making this decision? Perhaps he has given you enough authority to make it yourself?

Pfff.  Clearly you've been hanging with the wrong polygamists...

9 hours ago, zil said:

Read further, Gator - this is for a pen.  You're the tattoo person in the family. :P

Umm... @zil did you not read the memo that ink in the skin is a requirement for the family??? (Please take note that the ink can not be just ON the skin, it must be IN the skin, just a friendly reminder) ?

6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

How would you "spray" pencil on a wall?

You're an engineer, you should be able to work out a way. For me, I'd do it in the same way that people spray bullets, but using a Nerf gun, calibrated to take pencils. 

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=662&q=nerf+gun&oq=nerf+gun&gs_l=img.3..0l10.878.3068.0.6813.8.8.0.0.0.0.279.1121.2-5.5.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..3.5.1117.-7cj274oPCU

Edited by askandanswer

3 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

You're an engineer, you should be able to work out a way. For me, I'd do it in the same way that people spray bullets, but using a Nerf gun, calibrated to take pencils. 

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=662&q=nerf+gun&oq=nerf+gun&gs_l=img.3..0l10.878.3068.0.6813.8.8.0.0.0.0.279.1121.2-5.5.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..3.5.1117.-7cj274oPCU

I have two of these in one drawer of my desk at work.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic