Which Ink? (or: This place is too serious right now.)

zil

Inky Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which ink should Zil put in her Holy Grail pen?

• Robert Oster Fire & Ice
    • De Atramentis Indigo Blue
    • Nope, give us another choice

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

You're an engineer, you should be able to work out a way. For me, I'd do it in the same way that people spray bullets, but using a Nerf gun, calibrated to take pencils. 

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=662&q=nerf+gun&oq=nerf+gun&gs_l=img.3..0l10.878.3068.0.6813.8.8.0.0.0.0.279.1121.2-5.5.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..3.5.1117.-7cj274oPCU

Ermm... you said "spray".  These "shoot".  I can certainly show you how to spray graphite on a wall, but pencils?  That would be doable, certainly, but the viability of such a mechanism smaller than an average kitchen would be in question.  The practicality of such a device the size of a kitchen or larger would also be in question. 

You see, you said they're all "the same" to you.  So, if you consider paint "the same" as a pencil, I'm envisioning you stuffing pencils made mostly of wood through a puree machine to somehow liquefy it and send it through a dispenser forcing the fluid out a nozzle powered by a compressor.  This would fill the air with fine wood bits causing you to have pneumatic problems with both the compressor and your lungs.

If we could do the spraying in the general direction of Zil, zis sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I could commission you to commence immediate construction of this pencil sprayer? And maybe we could modify it so that raw material would be fountain pens instead of pencils?

7 hours ago, askandanswer said:

If we could do the spraying in the general direction of Zil, zis sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I could commission you to commence immediate construction of this pencil sprayer? And maybe we could modify it so that raw material would be fountain pens instead of pencils?

Violent, uncivilized cyborg. :no:

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Violence towards fountain pens is perfectly acceptable.I actually think it should be mandatory. 

You should be glad I don't know where you live.  There's no shortage of fountain pen users in Australia - I'd suggest they go dump bottles of Noodler's Bay State Blue all over your property.

If you could get them to carefully dump it only on the roof guttering, the letter box, and the front gate, and to use a color close to Dulux A277 Picture Book green (http://m.dulux.com.au/colour/hue/Greens), that would be a rare example of a fountain pen user actually doing something useful. But I guess I'm setting my hopes way too high. 

7 hours ago, classylady said:

@zil, do you do calligraphy?  Just wondering what you use your fountain pens for?  I personally have a hard time with any pen or ink that bleeds. I can't seem to write neatly when a pen or ink bleeds. ?

Nope, no calligraphy, but when I write with a stub nib or one of my flexier nibs, it can look similar due to the line variation.  I don't have enough spare time + interest + discipline to do calligraphy.  (Though I do have a set of books for learning Spencerian script - I just don't have time to work on it right now.)

As for bleeding / feathering - that's mostly about the paper.  I'm quickly removing "normal" paper from my house and replacing it with good paper.  I only use normal printer paper when I'm going to be giving the paper to someone else, otherwise I use HP 24lb LaserJet paper (important - not copier paper, not multipurpose, not InkJet).  My notebooks are now all European or Japanese paper (Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Black n' Red, Apica, Tomoe River, Maruman Mnemosyne, Leuchtturm).  Fountain pen ink won't bleed or feather on these - and only the darkest, heaviest lines will show from the reverse (except Leuchtturm - I won't be buying any more of that).

There do appear to be some fountain pen inks that behave poorly, but I read reviews and avoid anything that will feather on good paper. :)

One major reason why I want a green pen is that when it leaks and gets all over my fingers, it is a decorative color.  I could even tell my wife I'm an Orion to get her in the mood.  (She has no idea what an Orion is, so it never works).  And if it stains my clothes, then my clothes are also bright and cheery.

The pen I have is a wonderful gift from none other than the Muse herself.  But it apparently leaks when you don't care for it properly.  I don't know how to care for it properly.  I'm a savant in many areas.  But caring for a fountain pen is not one of them.

I still like the pen.  I even got a compliment on it from an older gentleman at a convention.  We were seated at the same table and he noticed I was taking notes with it.  He talked about the days he had his inkwell pen back in the day.  Nice guy.  But the green really stood out (both pen and ink) which is what drew the comments.

Edited by Guest

I was forced to write with a fountain pen as a child because my cursive was so bad. My desk was moved next to the teachers so that the teacher could easily keep a watch on my appalling handwriting. My parents were persuaded to bribe me to improve my handwriting and then...keyboards! No one can write now! The world has descended to my level! If you can't compete, contaminate!

1 minute ago, Sunday21 said:

I was forced to write with a fountain pen as a child because my cursive was so bad. My desk was moved next to the teachers so that the teacher could easily keep a watch on my appalling handwriting. My parents were persuaded to bribe me to improve my handwriting and then...keyboards! No one can write now! The world has descended to my level! If you can't compete, contaminate!

There are plenty of fountain pen users with atrocious handwriting.  They use fountain pens not to write fancily, but because, compared with the alternatives, it's a pleasure.

As for contaminate: I contaminate anyone who will accept a free fountain pen. :)  (I'm up to 27.)

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, zil said:

Beautiful!  And your first inkcident too! :D And with Yama Dori, no less - good choice.

10 hours ago, zil said:

Just try not to have an inktastrophe - they're much worse and usually involve ruined carpet, clothing, or upholstery... ;)

Having flashbacks of Pitch Perfect.  It was aca-awesome.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest LiterateParakeet

Warning to the forum....RUN....or @zil will infect you with her fountain pen madness.  It's too late for me, but perhaps if YOU RUN!

FP love.jpg

Dear @zil,

You appear to have adopted a new fashion choice. A rather severe fashion choice! Are you planning on sporting this look to church? I have been reviewing various commandments in my mind to see if this choice breaks any commandments...not that we would bar you from services of course but at some point your behaviour has to warrant a stiff note to the bishop! 

6 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Dear @zil,

You appear to have adopted a new fashion choice. A rather severe fashion choice! Are you planning on sporting this look to church? I have been reviewing various commandments in my mind to see if this choice breaks any commandments...not that we would bar you from services of course but at some point your behaviour has to warrant a stiff note to the bishop! 

Hey, you started it.

Just now, Sunday21 said:

Perhaps your bishop should be notified?

So, in ward council, I was taking notes (with a fountain pen, of course).  When I thought the meeting was over, I put the pen in my bag (at my feet).  But then the bishop gave me an assignment, so I reached into my bag and pulled out the first pen my fingers touched - a different pen (I had two with me).  As I was writing, the bishop asked if that was a different pen (as if it were shocking for a person to have more than one pen).  I said yes.  Then his 2nd Counselor asked if they had different inks in them, and I answered yes again.  Both seemed to think this was something that had never happened in the history of the world....

So, after relating this to my brother, he made a suggestion, and the next ward council, I walked in, pulled my pen box (made by me, my dad, and my brother) out of my bag, set it on the side table next to me, and proceeded to place seven pens in it (then took the 8th out of my bag).  Each was inked with a different ink.  Each time the topic changed, I swapped pens.  I got no shortage of eye rolls and one bark of laughter out of that stunt. :)

PenBox.jpg.ae960759de9fdc1f167280c239dc5b3b.jpg