So what happens after the protests?

Backroads

I'm thinking of all these groups gathering to march on capitals and whatnot. I also think of protests in general and it leaves me wondering: After you go home after your protest, what do you do then? What is the strategy if the protest doesn't work?

I read an article that pointed out that the modern ease of gathering a group to protest effectively leaves out the process of coming up with concrete long-term strategies.

So we went downtown today and a handful of people were out there holding protest signs on behalf of Women's Rights.  I asked one of them what they mean by Women's rights?  And every single one of them said Reproductive Rights (the right to abortion).  So I ask them how does the new administration threaten Reproductive Rights?  They said Defunding Planned Parenthood and putting pro-life judges on the Supreme Court.  So I said Ok and walked away.

And so I thought to myself... I wonder if they would qualify me as a Woman.  Because I want to defund PP and put pro-life judges on the SCOTUS.

That was what those particular women were marching for. There's list of reasons and each woman is marching for some or all of them. 

I had to work this morning, but if I were able to attend, it would be for ending violence against women, equal access to resources (clean water, jobs, etc.), equality in the workplace. This was a global march, not just occurring the USA, and not just about women in the USA.

Backroads, marches unite people. It enforces an idea that one is not standing alone. For the future, it encourages funding to organizations that work at improving whatever each woman was marching for. It encourages involvement. Volunteering. Participation. Usually these are "invisible" to the general public. A march is the visible of what is happening behind the scenes.

6 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

That was what those particular women were marching for. There's list of reasons and each woman is marching for some or all of them. 

I had to work this morning, but if I were able to attend, it would be for ending violence against women, equal access to resources (clean water, jobs, etc.), equality in the workplace. This was a global march, not just occurring the USA, and not just about women in the USA.

Backroads, marches unite people. It enforces an idea that one is not standing alone. For the future, it encourages funding to organizations that work at improving whatever each woman was marching for. It encourages involvement. Volunteering. Participation. Usually these are "invisible" to the general public. A march is the visible of what is happening behind the scenes.

I understand all that.  But a protest is something you do when the thing you're protesting against don't believe on those same things.  Do you really believe, honestly, that this Presidency don't believe on those same things?

36 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

So we went downtown today and a handful of people were out there holding protest signs on behalf of Women's Rights.

What about women's lefts?  I mean even though I'm right-handed and my right half gets more use and praise, and my left side is sometimes cursed for it's uselessness, I still think my left is pretty important, and if anything, my left needs more folks protesting on its behalf than my right...

I support anyone's life to peacefully protest. I support anyone's right to be stupid, too, as long as it isn't hurting anyone. 

My young friend is living in Manhattan right now, and got kicked out of a cab tonight for admitting to the driver that she voted for Trump. Tolerance at its finest. 

4 hours ago, Backroads said:

I'm thinking of all these groups gathering to march on capitals and whatnot. I also think of protests in general and it leaves me wondering: After you go home after your protest, what do you do then? What is the strategy if the protest doesn't work?

I read an article that pointed out that the modern ease of gathering a group to protest effectively leaves out the process of coming up with concrete long-term strategies.

I've always thought that such things were just a step under mobocracy.

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, Backroads said:

Read "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer. That'll explain both the protestors and the Trumpers. 

Guest Godless
5 hours ago, Backroads said:

For better or worse, the Tea Party movement was conceived on the picket line. They got people into Congress, and one might argue that they even got a man into the White House yesterday. It is my hope that Democrats can organize in such a manner to put some deserving people in Congress and take back the Oval Office in 4 years. All it takes is a spark, and we saw some pretty big sparks today. People who may have had trepidation about the incoming administration saw a united nationwide front telling them they're not alone. Time will tell if these protests will have the momentum to make a real difference, but history has shown that it's definitely possible. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

Saw this today on Facebook, and thought of your question Backroads about what happens next:

https://www.womensmarch.com/100/

It's a list of 10 actions for the first 100 days.

On a related note: yesterday my feed on facebook was full of posts about the Women's Marches, and today my feed is full of Conservative women friends talking about why the march does not represent them.  

Diversity is an awesome thing.  I love having friends on both sides of the fence.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

On 1/22/2017 at 5:15 PM, LiterateParakeet said:

Saw this today on Facebook, and thought of your question Backroads about what happens next:

On a related note: yesterday my feed on facebook was full of posts about the Women's Marches, and today my feed is full of Conservative women friends talking about why the march does not represent them.  

Diversity is an awesome thing.  I love having friends on both sides of the fence.  

Mine is the same.

I'm just disappointed that nobody posted anything about this Friday's Pro-Life Rally in DC.

On 1/22/2017 at 3:15 PM, LiterateParakeet said:

The diversity is neat, though ultimately it is sad the women's march can't include or represent all women. For example, there was no place for the pro-life view.

26 minutes ago, Backroads said:

The diversity is neat, though ultimately it is sad the women's march can't include or represent all women. For example, there was no place for the pro-life view.

It goes beyond that.  There's no place for the conservative view.  If you don't believe that the government should subsidize Tampons, apparently, you're not a real woman.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Backroads said:

That is the fundamental problem with the marches. Their version of "diversity" doesn't include women who aren't liberal. Libertarians, conservatives, heck even moderates need not apply.

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, Backroads said:

I think you misunderstood my purpose in posting. I was just trying to answer your question not start a debate.

I was referring to diversity in my own life. I can't control what anyone else does. And I have given up trying to get people rom BOTH sides to understand each other because that is an exercise in futility.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

And I have given up trying to get people rom BOTH sides to understand each other because that is an exercise in futility.

Sadly, you are 100% correct.

On 1/21/2017 at 2:14 PM, Backroads said:

Hmmm, I'm thinking that it isn't so much the modern ease of gathering a group as it may be that our particular society has a collective mentality which expects immediate results in nearly every aspect of life. Personally, I'm pretty darn thankful for the modern ease of gathering a group to protest, or to compare ideas in an online forum, to worship, or whatever. In any case I suppose that leaving out the process of devising long-term strategies (or at least effective ones) is as much a challenge in most businesses, most institutions, most families, etc., as it is for protestors. 

On 1/21/2017 at 2:25 PM, anatess2 said:

So we went downtown today and a handful of people were out there holding protest signs on behalf of Women's Rights.  I asked one of them what they mean by Women's rights?  And every single one of them said Reproductive Rights (the right to abortion).  So I ask them how does the new administration threaten Reproductive Rights?  They said Defunding Planned Parenthood and putting pro-life judges on the Supreme Court.  So I said Ok and walked away.

And so I thought to myself... I wonder if they would qualify me as a Woman.  Because I want to defund PP and put pro-life judges on the SCOTUS.

Boy oh boy am I going out on a limb trying to think like somebody else might think (especially somebody of the opposite sex), but here goes. :)  I would say they probably would qualify you as a Woman despite your position on defunding Planned Parenthood and shifting the majority on the Supreme Court toward your beliefs. But they might count you as abandoning all the women with whom they believe they have solidarity--this, because you and they see things differently. But, haha, what do I know? I'm just a lying, sexist, egotistical pig (as a co-worker used to say about men in general whenever one disagreed with her). ;)

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@Mike don't forget our country started with a protest...and property destruction. The Boston Tea Party. It's in our blood to protest we wgen feel aggrieved. :)

Yup. America was founded by rebels fighting an oppressive government. Yes  that's an oversimplification but it's not that far off. 

1 minute ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@Mike don't forget our country started with a protest...and property destruction. The Boston Tea Party. It's in our blood to protest we wgen feel aggrieved. :)

:) Oh, I don't forget. Actually I feel a swelling in my chest when people protest. Strangely, I even feel it when I disagree with their positions. The swelling doesn't happen, though, when I see riots and mayhem, tea parties notwithstanding. But I do like protests in general as a matter of principle. 

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Mike said:

. But I do like protests in general as a matter of principle. 

Amen. I like it when people question authority no matter who or what party is in authority. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Mike said:

Been second nature to me since I was in Primary. 

Oh same here. My catholic school teachers (I'm a convert to the LDS church, was raised Catholic) always hated it when I asked them "tough questions".