Where to start - Questioning if this is for me.

11 hours ago, MormonGator said:

After all, when he was a young man the first edition of the Book of Mormon was hot off the printing press! 

Who are you calling "young"?  You little whippersnapper.

If you search Jfullmer and Book of Mormon (BOM) you will find other videos. Yes they are from the middle/end of Book of Mormon but I think knowing that these videos exist, helps to reduce that overwhelmed feeling.

What I would start with: Book of Mormon Stories on YouTube! Pictures! 

I would skip any chapter with an intro that mentions Isaiah.

If you want to know more:i bought a timeline from amazon for BOM. I found it very helpful.

i bought 3 books by Ridges that walked through the BOM with commentary.

If you like scholarly stuff:

Youtube - discussions on the Book of Mormon, also on YouTube: interpreter foundation

on the web: step by step through the Book of Mormon.

14 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I would skip any chapter with an intro that mentions Isaiah.

10 hours ago, Jsmith85 said:

I minored in Bible in college - I took a course on Isaiah so I might be okay.

Yeah, I was about to respond along these lines.  We often make a big issue about reading Isaiah.  But many people don't have a problem with it.  I'm glad you're one of them.  Isaiah is really beautiful.

• pam featured this topic
Just now, Jane_Doe said:

Isaiah's my favorite book of scripture.  Particularly Isaiah 63.

my favorite would have to be James - in the NT and Ruth in the OT. 

Ruth is all about leaving the familiar and following the Heavenly Father's leading and James is basically instructions for living righteously.

On 2/2/2017 at 2:24 PM, zil said:

Poor children (the missionaries).  I took the sisters out to dinner some night last summer, and all I could think was, "Holy cow, they're young."  (Apparently I got old at some point.)

Decades ago. But I can't help wandering what happened to the wisdom that often seems to accompany old age. 

Edited by askandanswer

On 2/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, MormonGator said:

I remember saying that verbatim (that the Book of Mormon was confusing to read for the first time for non members) and some wet behind the ears missionary looked appalled that I would say something so blasphemous! 

We here on mormonhub are all used to it by now.

Guest MormonGator
41 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Dinner with Zil? Poor children indeed :(

If you think that's bad, the missionaries came over to our house last night. We tried to keep them to three beers each, but one kid could really drink! 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

If you think that's bad, the missionaries came over to our house last night. We tried to keep them to three beers each, but one kid could really drink! 

Three beers? I'm assuming you mean Rootbeer, i can barely finish one, luckly my boyfriend is gracious enough to help me finish - that and the mysterious fairy that likes to finish my drinks only when my boyfriend is around and it's a drink He likes..

Edited by Jsmith85
Misspelling

Guest MormonGator
29 minutes ago, Jsmith85 said:

Three beers? I'm assuming you mean Rootbeer, i can barely finish one, luckly my boyfriend is gracious enough to help me finish - that and the mysterious fairy that likes to finish my drinks only when my boyfriend is around and it's a drink He likes..

I actually meant whiskey. ;)

hello! I am in the SAME situation as you, only I've been studying the church off and on for years now. I've meet missionaries multiple times and completed the lessons with them probably 5 times or so! Been meeting for 10 years. I was never willing to make the changes I needed to though (smoking cigs, tea etc) and it's prevented me from moving forward. I am a little older now, less stubborn and feel as though I finally received a testimony for myself and so, I'm meeting with them again, only this time I've kicked my Cig habit! So, I just continue meeting missionaries, praying for direction and strength and of course, I also put in my own work (to live properly) and that's just kinda of what I'm doing now and where I'm at. 

i haven't been baptized yet though we are talking about it now and planning it. I have a couple other things I'm working on before, but I defiantly want it and now that I know for sure it's the truth, I can't turn away. Once you know, you know. And when you have that testimony, you will know what you need to do. Most importantly, don't let your own will stop you from doing it if you know it to be true. I did that and regret it. I spent many years going in circles all because of my own laziness

so, I just encourage you to continue praying , learning, reading and studying. Once you gain a testimony and feel answered, you will know what to do.its just up to you to do it.

i wish you luck and I hope you are meeting with missionaries. They're a wonderful tool when going through this.

and if you would like to chat further or whatever else, feel free to message me here or on private anytime!

5 hours ago, robrog8999 said:

hello! I am in the SAME situation as you, only I've been studying the church off and on for years now.

Been meeting for 10 years. I was never willing to make the changes I needed to though (smoking cigs, tea etc) and it's prevented me from moving forward. I am a little older now, less stubborn and feel as though I finally received a testimony for myself and so, I'm meeting with them again, only this time I've kicked my Cig habit!

i wish you luck and I hope you are meeting with missionaries. They're a wonderful tool when going through this.

and if you would like to chat further or whatever else, feel free to message me here or on private anytime!

Giving up smoking is a hard thing to do - keep at it though wven when stress comes back. I've watched mg brother try to quit and then get stressed out and nope.The hardest part for me will be giving up tea - I grew up on it.  

I am meeting with the missionaries, the elders will be coming tomorrow to start the first lesson although they are awear and will be talking woth me further about baptism.

For reading the Book of Mormon, I recommend this site: The Book of Mormon Online. It's not an official LDS site, but it is Mormon run, by someone who is a faithful church member. You can keep track of your reading there, and see facsimiles of all kinds of historical editions of the Book of Mormon. It's really an excellent site.

@robrog800 and @Jsmith85.

I would comment to you both – I am what they call a 5th generation Mormon.  My great great grandfather was the first Scandinavian convert and missionary.   My journey in life has always included my LDS heritage but I have been fascinated with all religions and science my entire life.  I am currently semiretired and run a small one man consulting company from my home in the field of automation, robotics and artificial intelligence. 

I believe my scientific background give me a unique insight into scripture.  One of my favorite verses of Isaiah is Isaiah 46:10.  Because it points out that not only does G-d know and understand all things from the beginning to the end but that he declares the beginning to the end.  With that in mind now let us look at Isaiah 2:2

And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the L-rd’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

What is interesting to me is how Isaiah mixes both the symbolism of ancient Hebrew Poetry with prophetic things to come to pass in amazing literal ways.  To understand Isaiah 2:2 I would turn to some relative recent history.  We all know how the “Mormons” were driven from the territories of the United States into an unsettled wilderness centered in what is now Salt Lake City, Utah.   Once the “Mormon’s” settled in the west they applied for statehood and wanted to name the state “Deseret”.  As the Mormon territories applied for state hood their initial state was carved up.  The initial state included areas of what is now Northern Mexico in the south to Canada in the north and from San Diego in California for the west to areas of Colorado in the East. 

When it became apparent that the “Mormons” territory would become a state – only a small part of the initial territory remained.  But then as a last effort to not give the Mormon’s what they strived for the name of the territory was changed by the Anti-Mormons in US congress from Deseret to Utah.  But the enemies of the Church did not realize that in so doing the fulfilled the prophesy of Isaiah 2:2.  Because the word Utah in the native tongue of the Ute peoples that are the oldest residents of this area - means “The Top of the Mountains”.   In essence, we could rewrite Isaiah 2:2 to say:

And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the L-rd’s house shall be established in Utah, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

The Traveler

Just like it says in James 1:5-6 (KJV)

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

I truly believe that if you pray to Heavenly Father and ask him what his plans are for your life, that he will guide you to the answers you are seeking. The answers may not come immediately, but in God's time and at the time that he decides is right for you, he will lead you and help you to find the answers to your questions. If you are curious about attending the LDS church, wondering if it is right for you, I would tell you to continue doing what you're doing. Go to church. Pray about the things you learn in the church service. Ask members in your ward questions about the Gospel :) The fact that you have started to wonder about whether or not God is leading you to this church, to me, is a good indication that he is. First there is a thought. Then there is action.

• pam unfeatured this topic