5 LDS Gospel Principles Found in Disney’s Moana

(WARNING: HUGE SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO OUR FAVORITE POLY PRINCESS)* *But let's be honest, if you haven't seen this movie by now... YOU CRAZY. I have a confession to make. Moana had me in tears multiple times. And by “multiple times,” I mean I was blubbering like a baby for a good portion of the movie. But this wasn't the same kind the ugly crying that is basically a package deal with any Nicholas Sparks movie. No, no. These are the tears shed whilst being inspired, the ones that stream down your cheeks as you live vicariously through the protagonist in their moments of self-realization, growth and ultimate triumph. Being someone who gets wayyyy too emotionally invested in movies, books or shows—which explains my frequent Netflix binges—I'm a regular at this vicariously-living-through-fictional-characters-lives thing. Bearing that in mind, and with the reminder that I’m an overly sentimental, cheesy RM, I invite you to join me in re-living Moana’s journey with these LDS gospel-related gems. 1. "The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn" Moana's Wayfinding Ancestors “And he shall...

View the full article

When I saw Moana, I couldn't help but draw parallels with the story of Nephi.  But then I realized that all the really great stories have the same story structure because that story structure is that of life.

1. We always start from a place of comfort that is somewhat limited.
  2. We then are motivated to leave that place of comfort for a transcendent reason or purpose often including some supernatural force.
  3. We have a vague outline of a plan and goal.
  4. We proceed and get shoved back for minor reasons.
  5. Then we go full out because of even greater motivations.
  6. The journey: Difficulty, the period of nothing, then we face challenge after challenge.
  7. We do everything we can, but we can only surmount it all because we have help from Heaven.
  8. Finally, we come to the promised land and find that it wasn't exactly what we envisioned.  We find it is better in some ways and worse in others.  But the goal was accomplished.

Take a look at the truly epic stories (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars).  They were all very popular because they speak truth to the human condition.  They speak to the dreams we all have.  They speak to the need for help from above.  They speak to the need we all have to be bigger than we are.