No Obamacare Repeal

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/317998-trump-obamacare-plan-could-take-until-next-year

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/02/06/513718166/trump-congressional-gop-back-off-from-immediate-obamacare-repeal

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-obamacare-replacement-plan-could-take-until-next-year/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/12/heres-why-trump-is-already-waffling-on-obamacare/?utm_term=.b636cfa8507d

Well, well.  Like I said.  "No repeal without a replacement" = "NO REPEAL".

We're still going to have exchanges mandated by the feds.  We're still going to have the individual mandate.  We're still going to have insane insurance requirements for things we don't need.  We'll still have cumbersome requirements and additional fees/taxes for everything health and medical related.

Nope.  Sorry folks.  No repeal of Obamacare.

Edited by Guest

What?  How can that be?  I mean didn't President Trump tell us otherwise?

"But the right thing to do is to get something done now. ... So I want to make sure that nobody's dying on the streets when I'm president," Trump said. "Nobody's going to be dying on the streets. We will unleash something that's going to be terrific." --President Trump to David Muir on Jan. 25, 2017, ABC News "World News Tonight

... just a politician after all. 

Guest MormonGator
12 hours ago, Mike said:

What?  How can that be?  I mean didn't President Trump tell us otherwise?

... just a politician after all. 

Say it ain't so! You mean maybe all of us who said from the beginning that he couldn't do 85% of what he promised to do were right!? 

Sigh.

Have you been asleep the past couple weeks?

The President does not repeal nor replace Obamacare.  Congress does.  Therefore Trump is working with Paul Ryan on it.  But Trump - as one of the very first Executive Actions he has done on Day 1 - did all that the Executive Branch is allowed to do to take out the teeth of Obamacare.

The statement - Trump will not deliever on 85% of his promises... did you crawl under a rock?  I started a thread on all of Trump's actions and I got tired of keeping up with it because it is going soooo fast.  Heck, we are now even having a lawsuit from Washington trying to stop one of Trump's fulfilled promises of executing a travel ban until the vetting process can be reviewed and beefed up.  And Neil Gorsuch, hello... And guess what - just 5 minutes ago Pence gavelled the deciding vote on Betsy DeVos putting another promise into play to make School Choice forefront at the DoE.

Anyway, as far as Obamacare, you're not paying attention.  Paul Ryan gives an update every single press briefing he holds.  That's why I've been very vocal about my support for Paul Ryan even as the Trumpers tried to trash him.  I even went and put in my elbow grease to his Wisconsin re-election bid.

Anyway, the Charlie Rose interview below is what Paul Ryan is trying to drive in the House.  Rand Paul has a bill out on the Congress floor, Susan Collins and Bill Cassidy has another one out.  Both bills did not go forward because Paul's bill does not address some requirements Trump and Ryan required.  Collins and Cassidy's bill is not going to go anywhere because it takes 3 years to fully implement.  Paul Ryan expressed a 3-month timeline.  So both bills are getting reworked in Committee. 

In the Senate, the Senate is busy fighting over nominations to get anything else done.  But the GOP did manage to push Tom Price out to HHS Secretary.  So Tom Price is now driving the bus with Paul Ryan.  Trump/Pence can now go hands off.

And here is the latest Paul Ryan update on what's happening in the House including the repeal and replacement of Obamacare:

Now start paying attention!

@anatess2,

Before my rebuttal, I need a clarification.  

20 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The President does not repeal nor replace Obamacare.  Congress does.  Therefore Trump is working with Paul Ryan on it. 

Paul Ryan gives an update every single press briefing he holds.  That's why I've been very vocal about my support for Paul Ryan even as the Trumpers tried to trash him.

I'm confused by this juxtaposition of statements.  

1) Congress is responsible, not the Pres.
2) Trump is working with Ryan on it.
3) Ryan is talking about the updates.
4) Trumpers trashed Ryan for his work on repeal/replace.

So, in your interpretation of events, is Ryan actually moving forward properly in a pattern to repeal and replace or not?

23 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

@anatess2,

Before my rebuttal, I need a clarification.  

I'm confused by this juxtaposition of statements.  

1) Congress is responsible, not the Pres.
2) Trump is working with Ryan on it.
3) Ryan is talking about the updates.
4) Trumpers trashed Ryan for his work on repeal/replace.

So, in your interpretation of events, is Ryan actually moving forward properly in a pattern to repeal and replace or not?

If you watch the weekly House Press Briefings it is clear that Paul Ryan has been working on the Repeal AND Replace since he became Speaker of the House which was way before Trump won the Primaries.

Obamacare is the law of the land.  The President HAS to execute the law of the land.  Trump cannot repeal nor replace Obamacare unless Congress sends him a bill to sign.  Now, the President has some leeway in prioritization of execution of laws - this is apparent in the immigration issue where the law of the land is largely ignored by past Presidents on both sides of the aisle stating some executive difficulty.  Trump signed an executive action to send enforcement of the employer and individual mandates to the lowest legal priority.  This is the most he can do in the repeal of Obamacare unless he does what Obama does and overstep his authority by legislationg via Executive Order.

Trumpers did not trash Ryan for his work on Obamacare.  Trumpers trashed Ryan for vocally siding with Romney who is a Never Trumper.  As Speaker of the House (2nd in line to the President) and a Republican representative, Trumpers believe Ryan should have practiced the "if you can't say anything unifying, don't say anything" rule that Priebus set the example on.  So, lots of Wisconsin Trumpers painted Ryan with the NeverTrumper brush and tried to get Nehlen to take his Congressional seat.  Trump had to go endorse Ryan to settle the matter.  Personally, I believe Ryan trashing Trump once in a while is a healthy dynamic.  It provides the balance necessary if the Republicans get a 3-part majority (which they did).  I believe Ryan needs to stay Ryan regardless of Trump.  Now, Ryan and Trump are in lock-step on Obamacare.  But they are not in lock-step when it comes to Social Security.  That will be an interesting dynamic when they finally get to fixing Social Security.

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

If you watch the weekly House Press Briefings it is clear that Paul Ryan has been working on the Repeal AND Replace since he became Speaker of the House which was way before Trump won the Primaries.

Obamacare is the law of the land.  The President HAS to execute the law of the land.  Trump cannot repeal nor replace Obamacare unless Congress sends him a bill to sign.  Now, the President has some leeway in prioritization of execution of laws - this is apparent in the immigration issue where the law of the land is largely ignored by past Presidents on both sides of the aisle stating some executive difficulty.  Trump signed an executive action to send enforcement of the employer and individual mandates to the lowest legal priority.  This is the most he can do in the repeal of Obamacare unless he does what Obama does and overstep his authority by legislationg via Executive Order.

Trumpers did not trash Ryan for his work on Obamacare.  Trumpers trashed Ryan for vocally siding with Romney who is a Never Trumper.  As Speaker of the House (2nd in line to the President) and a Republican representative, Trumpers believe Ryan should have practiced the "if you can't say anything unifying, don't say anything" rule that Priebus set the example on.  So, lots of Wisconsin Trumpers painted Ryan with the NeverTrumper brush and tried to get Nehlen to take his Congressional seat.  Trump had to go endorse Ryan to settle the matter.

Now it's my turn to say pay attention.  None of this answered my question.  Do you believe Ryan is adequately moving towards repeal/replace?

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Now it's my turn to say pay attention.  None of this answered my question.  Do you believe Ryan is adequately moving towards repeal/replace?

My first sentence answered that question. Yes.  He is working his butt off to get it done adequately with weekly updates to the masses on his press briefings.  If he was not adequately moving towards it, Paul and Collins/Cassidy bills will be put on the docket instead of sent to Committee.  Ryan is not taking any compromises.

Edited by anatess2

11 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

My first sentence answered that question. 

No it didn't.   All it said was that he's doing what he's always done.  But now you have.  So here's my rebuttal to your original post.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Sigh.

Have you been asleep the past couple weeks?

If you can actually show what I said that was so insulting to you personally that warranted such a response, I'll apologize.  If not, I'd expect an apology from you.  This isn't the first time you've behaved this way when it was completely unfounded.  It needs to stop.

The President does not repeal nor replace Obamacare.  Congress does.  Therefore Trump is working with Paul Ryan on it.  But Trump - as one of the very first Executive Actions he has done on Day 1 - did all that the Executive Branch is allowed to do to take out the teeth of Obamacare.

Complete repeal, true.  But the one major power that the President has is his completely autonomous power to grant an exemption to any entity he chooses.  He has complete power to grant an exemption to the entire country in one signature.  End of story.  But he hasn't done that.  That leads me to believe he wants to keep the individual mandate that is the most onerous part of the bill.  It alone gives teeth to the law in the first place.  And he isn't even looking in that direction.

"did all that the Executive Branch is allowed to do to take out the teeth of Obamacare."  Really?  ALL that he could do?  So, "NOTHING" is "ALL".  I'm continuing to be confounded by your use of words.

Anyway, as far as Obamacare, you're not paying attention.  Paul Ryan gives an update every single press briefing he holds.  That's why I've been very vocal about my support for Paul Ryan even as the Trumpers tried to trash him.  I even went and put in my elbow grease to his Wisconsin re-election bid.

Anyway, the Charlie Rose interview below is what Paul Ryan is trying to drive in the House.  Rand Paul has a bill out on the Congress floor, Susan Collins and Bill Cassidy has another one out.  Both bills did not go forward because Paul's bill does not address some requirements Trump and Ryan required.  Collins and Cassidy's bill is not going to go anywhere because it takes 3 years to fully implement.  Paul Ryan expressed a 3-month timeline.  So both bills are getting reworked in Committee. 

In the Senate, the Senate is busy fighting over nominations to get anything else done.  But the GOP did manage to push Tom Price out to HHS Secretary.  So Tom Price is now driving the bus with Paul Ryan.  Trump/Pence can now go hands off.

And here is the latest Paul Ryan update on what's happening in the House including the repeal and replacement of Obamacare:

To sum up: they're doing a lot of handwaving and window dressing but doing absolutely NOTHING.

Rand Paul's bill was perfectly fine as it was.  But Trump and Ryan don't "like" it.  So they're dropping it.  The fact is that there will never be a bill that has all the stuff that A) The people want, B) Ryan wants and C) Trump wants.  And there is no compromising about the individual mandate.  That has got to go.  But the truth is that Trump and Ryan actually like it.  So, NO.  They're never going to get rid of that one major item that is so unpopular, is a violation of individual liberty, and destroys free enterprise in this market.

Edited by Guest

Guest Godless

And guess what - just 5 minutes ago Pence gavelled the deciding vote on Betsy DeVos putting another promise into play to make School Choice forefront at the DoE.

I've been following those proceedings very closely the last few days, and I have a feeling that several GOP Senators just voted away any chance of reelection (Ted Cruz and Orrin Hatch will be the most interesting ones to watch next year). DeVos is massively unpopular on both sides of the aisle. John Cornyn's social media (and email and phone lines, I'm sure) has been flooded by Republicans pleading with him to reject her. Educators on both sides of the political spectrum are dumbfounded by this appointment. Blind GOP loyalty to Trump at the expense of loyalty to constituents could prove very costly in the midterm elections.

Sorry, I know this was off-topic. I just really wanted to address it.

32 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

No it didn't.   All it said was that he's doing what he's always done.  But now you have.  So here's my rebuttal to your original post.

If you can actually show what I said that was so insulting to you personally that warranted such a response, I'll apologize.  If not, I'd expect an apology from you.  This isn't the first time you've behaved this way when it was completely unfounded.  It needs to stop.

I did not quote you directly.  You keep on forgetting the difference.  Hence, it does not pertain to you personally but to the discussion so far.

In any case, The Title - No Obamacare Repeal... we can start with that.  With all the activity that has been going on towards the Repeal and Replace of Obamacare, the conclusion therefore is you haven not been paying attention.  Hence the rhetorical question... Have you been sleeping?

You can get triggered.  That's on you. 

Complete repeal, true.  But the one major power that the President has is his completely autonomous power to grant an exemption to any entity he chooses.  He has complete power to grant an exemption to the entire country in one signature.  End of story.  But he hasn't done that.  That leads me to believe he wants to keep the individual mandate that is the most onerous part of the bill.  It alone gives teeth to the law in the first place.  And he isn't even looking in that direction.

No he cannot grant an exemption to anyone without BREAKING THE LAW.  That is EXACTLY what Republicans blasted Obama on for his Immigration "exemptions".  The President does not have ANY POWER to change a law.  End of Story.  Equal Powers mean something.

What he can do is prioritize execution or delay execution within reason.  Obama delayed the execution of the individual mandate.  He got excoriated for it.  Trump de-priotized an already executed individual mandate with a note that it has to be within LEGAL allowance.  Because it would be silly for Trump to campaign on LAW and ORDER and then break the law himself.

And by the way, the individual mandate is just a SMALL part of Obamacare and gained teeth because the SCOTUS decided to do the work of Congress for them and declared the mandate a tax.  So all you got is a tax increase and not a mandate to buy something.  But the biggest problem is the upending of the insurance market and the impact to business and none of that does anything to improve health CARE which is the problem in the first place that necessitated a healthcare law.  If you watch that video I posted on Ryan's interview with Charlie Rose it is pretty clear on that matter and Ryan was very concise in it.  The Press Briefing video that I also linked also explains the Obamacare problems currently being addressed by Congress.

"did all that the Executive Branch is allowed to do to take out the teeth of Obamacare."  Really?  ALL that he could do?  So, "NOTHING" is "ALL".  I'm continuing to be confounded by your use of words.

Maybe you need to read your Constitution again.  It's silly for a Filipino to tell an American what the US Constitution says.

And if you think the Executive ORDER on Obamacare is "NOTHING" then there's nothing I can say to make you understand anything.  Here, you can read it yourself and call it nothing.  https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/01/2/executive-order-minimizing-economic-burden-patient-protection-and

In addition to that, Trump is addressing the impact to business through a holistic reduction of regulations that impact businesses - not just as it pertains to healthcare.  For the insurance market, he held meetings with various healthcare industry leadership to get some direction for Tom Price to run with.

To sum up: they're doing a lot of handwaving and window dressing but doing absolutely NOTHING.

Rand Paul's bill was perfectly fine as it was.  But Trump and Ryan don't "like" it.  So they're dropping it.  The fact is that there will never be a bill that has all the stuff that A) The people want, B) Ryan wants and C) Trump wants.  And there is no compromising about the individual mandate.  That has got to go.  But the truth is that Trump and Ryan actually like it.  So, NO.  They're never going to get rid of that one major item that is so unpopular.

You do know that Trump has only been President for a little over 2 weeks right?

Anyway, you can believe what you want.  We will soon find out by 2018 if the Republicans succeeded on fulfilling this mandate.

Edited by anatess2

32 minutes ago, Godless said:

I've been following those proceedings very closely the last few days, and I have a feeling that several GOP Senators just voted away any chance of reelection (Ted Cruz and Orrin Hatch will be the most interesting ones to watch next year). DeVos is massively unpopular on both sides of the aisle. John Cornyn's social media (and email and phone lines, I'm sure) has been flooded by Republicans pleading with him to reject her. Educators on both sides of the political spectrum are dumbfounded by this appointment. Blind GOP loyalty to Trump at the expense of loyalty to constituents could prove very costly in the midterm elections.

Sorry, I know this was off-topic. I just really wanted to address it.

DeVos is completely NOT unpopular on the Republican side of the aisle.  She did not get the vote of Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Susan Collins (Maine) because both of them are working with their State's Teacher's Unions both of which do not believe School Choice is a solution that can work in their States.  It's pretty understandable why that is when Alaska's public schools are very widely spread that children really don't have much of a choice but stay with their neighborhood schools.  Murkowski fears that offering school choice, especially Home Schools and Charter Schools will weaken Alaska's neighborhood schools.  Collins, on the other hand, has been actively trying to get more funding for her State's Public Schools and she, therefore, is not comfortable with DeVos' affinity for school vouchers that she felt moves money out of Public Schools and into Private ones.

Other than those, DeVos has cross-over appeal gaining the enthusiastic support of Barbara and Laura Bush (Never Trumper representatives of the Republican establishment position on Education), Joe Lieberman (an Independent that was the VP nominee for the Democrats), and most, if not all, Tea Party representatives in Congress.  Conservative, Libertarian, and Republican voters all support School Choice and, therefore, DeVos who is School Choice's poster child.  Ted Cruz and Orin Hatch will be applauded by their voters for giving DeVos a chance.

Edited by anatess2

33 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I did not quote you directly.  You keep on forgetting the difference.  Hence, it does not pertain to you personally but to the discussion so far.

It didn't apply to me personally, but you responded to my post in 90% of your response.  Riigght.

In any case, The Title - No Obamacare Repeal... we can start with that.  With all the activity that has been going on towards the Repeal and Replace of Obamacare, the conclusion therefore is you haven not been paying attention.  Hence the rhetorical question... Have you been sleeping?

I just gave you four links that state what is happening RIGHT NOW, and your cognitive dissonance is causing you to ask if I'M sleeping?  Riiiiiggghhhht.

You can get triggered.  That's on you. 

And if I say that 90% of your posts are blatant ramblings signifying nothing, and you get upset by such a statement, that's on you, right?  Riiiiggghhhtt.

No he cannot grant an exemption to anyone without BREAKING THE LAW.  That is EXACTLY what Republicans blasted Obama on for his Immigration "exemptions".  The President does not have ANY POWER to change a law.  End of Story.  Equal Powers mean something.

That's simply not true.  ACCORDING TO THE LAW ITSELF, the executive branch alone has the sole power to decide what qualifies as "undue financial burden" on an individual, family, business, etc.  With his pen, he can clearly state that if an individual simply states he "can't afford it" then that should be evidence enough that he can't afford it.

If anyone doesn't like it, they can take it to the courts.  But who would have standing to get that enforced?  No one.

Congress may decide to impeach him over it.  But how likely is that to happen?

No, he absolutely has that power.

And by the way, the individual mandate is just a SMALL part of Obamacare and is not the teeth to the law because the SCOTUS decided to do the work of Congress for them and declared the mandate a tax.  So all you got is a tax increase and not a mandate to buy something.  The upending of the insurance market and the impact to business is the bigger problem and none of that does anything to improve health CARE which is the problem in the first place that necessitated a healthcare law.  If you watch that video I posted on Ryan's interview with Charlie Rose it is pretty clear on that matter and Ryan was very concise in it.  The Press Briefing video that I also linked also explains the Obamacare problems currently being addressed by Congress.

SMALL?  That was the SOLE reason why it does anything at all.  SCOTUS upheld the law based on that one premise alone.  Nothing else causes this thing to even move forward.  It is the primary reason so many people hate it.  Why on earth would you be defending this aspect?  Cognitive dissonance again.

All the issues with insurance companies and ANYTHING else is because of the individual mandate.  If no one were required to abide by it, insurance companies would offer "compliant" policies and "non-compliant" policies.  Guess which ones most of us would buy?

Maybe you need to read your Constitution again.  It's silly for a Filipino to tell an American what the US Constitution says.

It's beyond silly.  It's arrogant in the extreme.  And it is completely unfounded in this instance.  The very founding principle of separation of powers was specifically to allow the executive branch some power to NOT enforce a law that they saw as unconstitutional.  Political impetus would prevent him from exercising that power.  But there is no such impetus currently.

But your highly evolved and superior Filipino intellect probably informs you that he must simply be a blind enforcer and executioner with no judgment himself.

And if you think the Executive ORDER on Obamacare is "NOTHING" then there's nothing I can say to make you understand anything.  Here, you can read it yourself and call it nothing.  https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/01/2/executive-order-minimizing-economic-burden-patient-protection-and

Yes, it is nothing.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trumps-executive-order-on-obamacare-means-everything-and-does-nothing/

You do know that Trump has only been President for a little over 2 weeks right?

Yes, and that is why I see this message that "it will take until 2018" to replace tells me it's never going to happen.  He's only been at it for 2 weeks and he's already pushing back the time table.  If he'd at least tried a little longer.  If he'd at least presented a plan of his own.  If he'd at least offered to delay further tax penalties for non participation...  ANYTHING.  But he simply gave up on the "in the first 30 days" promise and said it will not be until next year.

Next year will roll around and he will say, it won't be until 2019.  Then 2021 because we'll have to re-elect him to actually get it done.  Then we'll re-elect him and he still won't repeal it.

The "only 2 weeks" argument is actually evidence against him, not an excuse to give him leeway.

Edited by Guest

Guest Godless
42 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Next year will roll around and he will say, it won't be until 2019.  Then 2021 because we'll have to re-elect him to actually get it done.  Then we'll re-elect him and he still won't repeal it.

And by then Congress may look very different than it does currently. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Godless said:

And by then Congress may look very different than it does currently. 

That's how it works in politics. In fairness, back in 2006 I knew MANY liberals who thought the party would never end. And I knew many conservatives who thought it was the end of the world. It's all a cycle. 

Guest Godless
Just now, MormonGator said:

That's how it works in politics. In fairness, back in 2006 I knew MANY liberals who thought the party would never end. And I knew many conservatives who thought it was the end of the world. It's all a cycle. 

Yep. Just like Obama's success ultimately resulted in overwhelming congressional success for the GOP, I suspect similar trends will start to appear under Trump. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Godless said:

Yep. Just like Obama's success ultimately resulted in overwhelming congressional success for the GOP, I suspect similar trends will start to appear under Trump. 

I do as well.That's the irony of winning the presidency. Of course it's always better to win then to lose, but in some ways it can turn out to be a pyrrhic victory. 

23 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Yes, and that is why I see this message that "it will take until 2018" to replace tells me it's never going to happen.  He's only been at it for 2 weeks and he's already pushing back the time table.  If he'd at least tried a little longer.  If he'd at least presented a plan of his own.  If he'd at least offered to delay further tax penalties for non participation...  ANYTHING.  But he simply gave up on the "in the first 30 days" promise and said it will not be until next year.

I see this as the likely outcome, although I heard a commentary this morning that gave me some hope. Random person sees the stalling as a political play to wait for the ACA to blow up. Experts looked at the plan and said it wouldn't finance itself. Naysayers called out that premiums and deductibles would have to rise. We are seeing this, but the ACA is still getting praised for saving peoples' lives and bringing healthcare to the poor. Wait another year so that even the supporters are feeling the financial squeeze and making the tough decision as to whether or not to pay out-of-pocket to get those symptoms looked at. Wait another year so that all but the most die-hard of supporters want something else (it was even suggested at the time that it was designed to fail so proponents could get in true universal healthcare). President Trump presumably changed his tune to garner more popular support and Ryan presumably supports the delay because it becomes the #1 highlight for party re-election.

Again, not sure I really buy it, and the mandate absolutely has to go (I'm not seeing support for repealing the mandate either), but I have enough friends who still think it was a good thing* that I'd be willing to give them a year to deal with the reality of it rather than scapegoating the the replacement for the former's failures.

*They speculate repealing it would lead to really disastrous outcomes. I think we have to repeal the bill so you can find out what the effects are.

23 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

They speculate repealing it would lead to really disastrous outcomes. I think we have to repeal the bill so you can find out what the effects are.

Pelosi will forever be memorialized for plays on her statement rather than her statement itself.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

So Trump announced that he'll have a plan ready by early to mid march.  Yet...

Rand Paul just walked out of a repeal/replace meeting with the GOP team working on this because it specifically did not actually repeal any of the parts that Americans are complaining about.  AND it does nothing to reduce the debt burden on the Federal Government.

So, again, it looks like "repeal/replace" simply means "no repeal".

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

So Trump announced that he'll have a plan ready by early to mid march.  Yet...

Rand Paul just walked out of a repeal/replace meeting with the GOP team working on this because it specifically did not actually repeal any of the parts that Americans are complaining about.  AND it does nothing to reduce the debt burden on the Federal Government.

So, again, it looks like "repeal/replace" simply means "no repeal".

Rand is the greatest. 

6 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I hear Canada has free health care and psych meds.

We have free basic health care. Unless you have a very low income, you have to pay for drugs, For seniors some physiotherapy is covered. Most companies pay for physio, drugs, dental, glasses etc. If you have a rare illness, we may not help much. Once you retire, you may need to pay these benefits or buy health care. I suspect that we pay for psych drugs: public safety.

My sister has American health care through an American company so we make comparisons. Neither system is perfect.