Moving to South Korea

xbrats

Hi there- my husband is interviewing for a job that would take us to South Korea. Before we can even consider it, is there anyone with an English speaking contact I could talk to? I'm looking to connect with an expatriate family that is attending the English speaking branch in Seoul. I know that I can use lds.org to find the branch but I can't find an email contact. If anyone knows someone, or knows an RM that would know, please share! Thanks! Sarah 

2 hours ago, xbrats said:

Hi there- my husband is interviewing for a job that would take us to South Korea. Before we can even consider it, is there anyone with an English speaking contact I could talk to? I'm looking to connect with an expatriate family that is attending the English speaking branch in Seoul. I know that I can use lds.org to find the branch but I can't find an email contact. If anyone knows someone, or knows an RM that would know, please share! Thanks! Sarah 

I have a couple friends in South Korea.  I believe they're both in or near Seoul.  But neither is LDS.  Would that work for you?  What were you hoping to talk about?

I'm trying to touch base with other mormon families. We have three teenagers. It will be hard to convince them to move there if there isn't a lot of other youth at church :) When they were little we lived in Ireland and they were the only Mormon kids in the whole county. It was ok then, but they need LDS friends now. 

18 hours ago, xbrats said:

I'm trying to touch base with other mormon families. We have three teenagers. It will be hard to convince them to move there if there isn't a lot of other youth at church :) When they were little we lived in Ireland and they were the only Mormon kids in the whole county. It was ok then, but they need LDS friends now. 

One thing I'll need to warn you about.  I'm assuming you're white.  If you're looking for friends for the kids, that will be pretty hard in Korea.    Most other nations -- especially Asian nations are much more racist than the US.

Etiquette is as big a deal as anything in South Korea.  So, Koreans will be very polite to your face.  But when you're gone...  So, a real meaningful friendship is going to be hard going.  As with anything, there will be some sincere people who will make real friendships with them.  It will be less common.

Edited by Guest