Lehi's Dream -- Filthy Water

In his dream, Lehi did not notice the filthiness of the water because his mind was caught up in other things.  Nephi did see the filthiness of the water.

I realize this was just a narrative.  And that is what happened.  But I wonder why this detail was even mentioned.  If the small plates were limited anyway, why did Nephi feel the need to mention it?  Was there any importance to it?

An obvious question that a reader of the two accounts (Lehi's report of the vision and Nephi's report of the same vision) might have is, "Why didn't Lehi say anything about the filthy water?" After all, it's a vitally important part of the overall understanding of the vision. Yet Lehi didn't mention it.

I think it's an important and telling detail. The vision was granted by God, and was something like a stage play or movie produced for Lehi's benefit. Nephi was then shown the exact same play/film. But, of course, Nephi had the great advantage of already having had the overall outlines described to him, so he already knew more or less what he was looking at and understood the broad themes immediately. Because of this, he was able to pay attention to and discern some of the less prominent features of the production, giving him a more in-depth understanding.

46 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Which detail? The water was filthy? or Lehi didn't notice?

The fact that Lehi didn't notice, but Nephi did.  Nephi could have just mentioned that the water was filthy and moved on.  But he happened to mention that Lehi didn't notice it.

22 minutes ago, Vort said:

Nephi had the great advantage of already having had the overall outlines described to him, so he already knew more or less what he was looking at and understood the broad themes immediately. Because of this, he was able to pay attention to and discern some of the less prominent features of the production, giving him a more in-depth understanding.

I believe this is probably a good reason.  It speaks to us learning line upon line.  We read the same scriptures again and again.  And each time we gain something new out of it.