Priest craft

Traveler

Guest Godless
45 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm well aware of a piece FOX News assembled showing Donald Trump scornfully and contemptuously imitating various people. His gesticulations are quite similar with each person he imitated

I saw that piece as well. "Trump didn't mock a disabled guy. He mocks everyone like that!" Okay, so maybe the disabled guy imitation was overblown, but that doesn't change the fact that OUR PRESIDENT will stoop to crass juvenile mockery to attack people who cross him. I have a very hard time respecting someone like that.

10 minutes ago, Godless said:

I saw that piece as well. "Trump didn't mock a disabled guy. He mocks everyone like that!" Okay, so maybe the disabled guy imitation was overblown, but that doesn't change the fact that OUR PRESIDENT will stoop to crass juvenile mockery to attack people who cross him. I have a very hard time respecting someone like that.

You and I are of like minds on this point. 

On 2/11/2017 at 7:06 PM, MormonGator said:

I heard a funny joke once. St. Peter is leading a tour of recently deceased republicans and democrats around Heaven. He says, "Everyone be quiet as we pass this room." After passing it, someone says "So, what's up with that?" St. Peter turns and says-"That's @Jojo Bags room. He thinks he's the only one up here."

My comment must have hit pretty close to home for you to lash out.  The Democratic party platform is pure evil.  It embraces many, many things that are diametrically opposed to the Gospel.  I compared side by side the Democratic platform with the Communist Party, USA website.  They were identical.  The Republicans are somewhat better, but they, too, embrace many things opposed to the Gospel..  Elder H.Verlan Andersen said that a person's political views reflect their moral values.  That says a lot about a person.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Jojo Bags said:

My comment must have hit pretty close to home for you to lash out. 

It's a joke, lighten up. If I wanted to "lash out" I would have said something much harsher. 

Besides, I'm a registered republican.  

Just now, MormonGator said:

It's a joke, lighten up. If I wanted to "lash out" I would have said something much harsher. 

Go Independent.  Both parties are controlled by the Gadiantons.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Jojo Bags said:

Go Independent.  Both parties are controlled by the Gadiantons.

I'd be independent but I can't muster up the moral superiority and self righteousness it takes. 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I'd be independent but I can't muster up the moral superiority and self righteousness it takes. 

Instead of the moral superiority and self-righteousness that it takes to be a Republican or Democrat? 

11 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Keep it classy now, Mormongator! ☺

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Keep it classy now, Mormongator! ☺

That's why I'm using my routine without the four letter words. You should see what I leave on the cutting room floor! 

4 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

The Democratic party platform is pure evil.  Elder H.Verlan Andersen said that a person's political views reflect their moral values. That says a lot about a person.

And here I was thinking Apostle James E. Faust, a democrat, had amazing moral values. Oh well.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, SilentOne said:

I personally take about 90%* of what @MormonGator says as being tongue-in-cheek.

*Figure of course was very scientifically derived and not made up on the spot.

Disappointed in you. It's closer to 95%.  

Him being a democrat or  having amazing moral values? :P j/k

He was a Democrat in the Utah House of Representatives. This is well-known (you can google it) but here a reference in the Deseret News:

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1914/7/James-E-Faust-Prominent-Mormons-in-politics-and-government.html

1 minute ago, Suzie said:

Him being a democrat or  having amazing moral values? :P j/k

He was a Democrat in the Utah House of Representatives. This is well-known (you can google it) but here a reference in the Deseret News:

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1914/7/James-E-Faust-Prominent-Mormons-in-politics-and-government.html

I actually got to meet Faust at the MTC!  I remember he was very, very gentle in person (even by General Authority standards) and very kind.

4 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

I actually got to meet Faust at the MTC!  I remember he was very, very gentle in person (even by General Authority standards) and very kind.

I met him once as well. It is true, he was a very gentle man.

Should I mention also that while he was a Democrat legislator he was also a Bishop? :P

2 hours ago, Suzie said:

And here I was thinking Apostle James E. Faust, a democrat, had amazing moral values. Oh well.

I find it interesting that people say things like this without telling the whole story.  Why is that?  Elder Faust served in the House in 1949.  The Democrat party of his day is totally different from the Democrat part of today.  His Democratic party didn't support murder or homosexual marriage, nor did it try to put a criminal in the White House.  It wasn't controlled by the Gadiantons, either. I can't quite believe that Elder Faust would go along with those things. 

18 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

I find it interesting that people say things like this without telling the whole story.  Why is that?  Elder Faust served in the House in 1949.  The Democrat party of his day is totally different from the Democrat part of today.  His Democratic party didn't support murder or homosexual marriage, nor did it try to put a criminal in the White House.  It wasn't controlled by the Gadiantons, either. I can't quite believe that Elder Faust would go along with those things. 

You didn't read the "whole story" because there is no "whole story". You asked for a reference about the known fact that  Elder James E. Faust was a Democrat and I provided you with the reference. He is certainly not the first or the last. Now, we can agree that the Democratic party has changed but we can also say the same about the Republican party.

It should be noted that according to Todd Taylor, a Democratic Party executive,  Elder Faust met in 1992 with members of  the Utah's Democratic Party to discuss how to keep political ties with the new administration. He continued keeping in touch with party members, as far as 1995 urging people to run in order to bring a  healthy balance of both parties. If these facts are indeed true and I have no reason to believe otherwise, it seems like an active Democrat to me.

Now, just because he was a Democrat  does not mean he agreed with all the ideologies of the Democratic party. It would be naive to think that. Just like Republicans, he might have agreed in certain issues and disagreed with others but does not change the fact that he was indeed a Democratic legislator.

It should also be noted that a BYU student asked Mitt Romney about the claim that Democrats can't be good Mormons. He stated that it is "baloney and ridiculous" and he also mentioned that LDS leaders are now or have been Democrats. Elder Marlin K. Jensen who was a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy is also a Democrat. He gave an hour long interview back in the late 90's  stating that the Church's reputation as a one-party monolith is damaging in the long run and that any idea that it is impossible to be a Democrat and a good Mormon is wrongheaded and should be obliterated (feel free to search for the interview). I doubt very much that he agrees with your generalization that the Democratic party is "pure evil".

On 2/14/2017 at 4:35 PM, Mike said:

Do you allow that you might be conflating "strength" with "willingness"?  You might also be conflating President Duarte's opinion of the U.S. with reality, i.e. what the U.S. is sufficiently powerful (strong) to do, and what the U.S. deems is (in it's own national security interests) willing to do with or without regard to President Duarte. Seems to me that since your (Phillipino citizens) concern is that neither Russia nor China in an aggressive mode not see you as a launching pad of U.S. military operations there are many other factors you ought to consider, but I don't think U.S. strength (which is a given in my opinion) is high on that list.

We can talk all day about what you think Duterte should do.  The fact of the matter is, that doesn't change what he's doing.

On 2/14/2017 at 4:35 PM, Mike said:

Well, this one question certainly raises a boat load of additional questions in *my* mind. I'm having a hard time, for example, comprehending the difference between scornfully and contemptuously imitating (mocking) a person with a disability and scornfully and contemptuously imitating the person's disability. I'm well aware of a piece FOX News assembled showing Donald Trump scornfully and contemptuously imitating various people. His gesticulations are quite similar with each person he imitated. And yet in the last video segment which shows him doing it with regard to Mr. Kovaleski the gesticulations appeared to me to be more intense--actually to the point of misrepresenting Mr. Kovaleski in an overly exaggerated manner much like the typical stereotypes of people with disabilities.Although I'm no expert in clinical analysis of planned intent. in terms of hurting people and understanding the results of thoughtless acts, I'm as competent as the next objective observer in drawing the conclusion that Donald Trump is a lot like an immature school child who repeatedly takes little thought at the expense of others before scornfully and contemptuously imitating them in order to get a laugh and convince other more fortunate people to follow him. I'm comfortable supposing that if [for the purpose of learning how people react and thereby learning to think before I act] I imitated Donald Trump's gesticulations (without mentioning him) most people would criticize me for mocking others with disabilities.

But I haven't answered your question have I? Since I'm being tested (and even though I'm wary of the indictment I might receive) I will say that Trump's behavior with regard to the reporter looked like a duck and quacked like a duck, it also smelled metaphorically like a duck. Yes, I believe he did.

Still want to be my friend? 

What does that have to do with you and I being friends?

In any case, just because you don't gesticulate when you speak doesn't mean that someone who does is mocking somebody's disability.  This is the thing - if Clinton would have done any gesticulating (I can actually point to real things she did in lieu of gesticulating), the mainstream press would say, Oh how cute is that... even if she DID mock a disability.  But if Trump would do any gesticulating - even if the intent is clear - that wouldn't matter.  The mainstream press would say, he's a racist, sexist, homophobe, bigot.

And what is the effect of that?  Simple - you got Miley Cyrus, Meryl Streep, and all manner of people believe that Trump hates immigratns, hates muslims, hates women, hates disabled people, hates gays, hates blacks simply because the guy does not go through the filter of political handlers who will scrub his speech and manage his appearances to immunize against press manipulation... whereas the same people believe Hillary Clinton lying to the FBI is a right-wing conspiracy theory even with a video streaming right into their faces of Hillary Clinton lying over and over and over.

So, you might think you, as a careful rational observer, is immune to that slanted press, but you aren't.  Because, it requires a long history of political sophistry to be able to get wind of a news story and peel out the propaganda.

Now, here is the perfect example of how the Trump HATE is giving the USA to the hands of their enemies.  What do you think is happening with Flynn?  Do you think that's just a domestic affair without horrendous international consequences?

Edited by anatess2

On 2/14/2017 at 5:25 PM, Godless said:

On 2/14/2017 at 5:36 PM, Mike said:

You and I are of like minds on this point. 

Right.  Because it is much more respectful to call half the country Deplorables... as long as it is said in a politically correct manner.

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

We can talk all day about what you think Duterte should do.  The fact of the matter is, that doesn't change what he's doing.

Right. It doesn't change what he's doing. And what he's doing isn't relevant to the U.S.' strength to fight its enemies.

What does that have to do with you and I being friends?

Hahaha, nothing. I was taking a stab at what on Earth you might have meant when you indicated you were testing (me or something, else--I couldn't tell which). :)

In any case, just because you don't gesticulate when you speak doesn't mean that someone who does is mocking somebody's disability. 

No, it doesn't mean that, and I didn't say that it does. I said that in the video that FOX News contrived Donald Trump was shown gesticulating every time he mocked someone. In other words I (and you, too) may mock someone and gesticulate, or I (and you, too) may gesticulate and not be mocking someone when we talk. But FOX News' point was that when Donald Trump mocks someone he gesticulates, and the erroneous conclusion they wanted their viewers to draw was articulated well, by @Godless when he identified it as, "Trump didn't mock a disabled guy. He mocks everyone like that!" indicating that FOX News meant it to make Donald Trump look innocent. 

This is the thing - if Clinton would have done any gesticulating (I can actually point to real things she did in lieu of gesticulating), the mainstream press would say, Oh how cute is that... even if she DID mock a disability.  But if Trump would do any gesticulating - even if the intent is clear - that wouldn't matter.  The mainstream press would say, he's a racist, sexist, homophobe, bigot.

And what is the effect of that?  Simple - you got Miley Cyrus, Meryl Streep, and all manner of people believe that Trump hates immigratns, hates muslims, hates disabled people, hates gays, hates blacks... while the same people believe Hillary Clinton lying to the FBI is a right-wing conspiracy theory.

But we aren't talking about Clinton or anybody else. This is all about and only about Donald Trump. The above sounds a lot like what kids do to shift unwanted attention away from themselves and toward somebody else. 

So, you might think you, as a careful rational observer, is immune to that slanted press, but you aren't.  Because, it requires a long history of political sophistry to be able to get wind of a news story and peel out the propaganda.

Since this statement sounds very personally directed, I'm going to avoid retorting for the moment except to ask you if you believe that you and I are equally susceptible to sophistry and equally capable of evaluating slant and propaganda.

Guest Godless
8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Right.  Because it is much more respectful to call half the country Deplorables... as long as it is said in a politically correct manner.

My opinions about HRC are well-documented on this forum. And frankly, I'm tired of seeing "butbutbut Hillary" tossed around as a feeble defense of Trump. Her missteps don't excuse Trump's. I have no doubt that I would find plenty of things to criticize about President Hillary Clinton, but she's not our president, is she? Trump is, and both he and his supporters need to stop the broken record scapegoat attacks on someone who isn't even relevant anymore in our current political landscape. 

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured and featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic