Equality: is it overrated?

wenglund

On 3/1/2017 at 9:19 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

I don't think many people expected black folks to "sit idly by".  The question is whether their plan of action should have included government coercion.

As for backlash--*I* fear it, Anatess.  Just this morning I saw no fewer than three comments on a (formerly mainstream) conservative board I frequent calling for the burial of NeverTrumpers, and a fourth gleefully proclaiming that the Republican Party is now a party for white people.  These Jewish headstones aren't tipping themselves over, and one of those Indian guys killed by a white supremacist a couple days ago was a friend of a friend.  The leftist histrionics sure aren't helping things; but something very ugly has awakened within the Republican Party.

Trump has become a champion for the bullies and bigots. They are emboldened. I'm sad to see it pop up in society, but more so I'm sad to see these people come out of the woodworks in the Church. Like pimples coming to a head. 

Better to know who people really are, I guess. Still, it's disheartening. 

3 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

Trump has become a champion for the bullies and bigots. They are emboldened. I'm sad to see it pop up in society, but more so I'm sad to see these people come out of the woodworks in the Church. Like pimples coming to a head. 

Yep.  The latter-day "sifting" weeds out more than just hedonist liberals.

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

2 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Yep.  The latter-day "sifting" weeds out more than just hedonist liberals.

Imagine how conservatives feel. He's hijacked my party with his authoritarian attitude and flooded it with @Eowyns perfect description of his followers. Bullies and bigots. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Imagine how conservatives feel. He's hijacked my party with his authoritarian attitude and flooded it with @Eowyns perfect description of his followers. Bullies and bigots. 

I'm one of those conservatives. A woman without an island, as it were. 

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Eowyn said:

Island of two girl. My thoughts on Trump are pretty well known. 

8 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I wouldn't know anything about that.  I've been told that my refusal to aid and abet Trump means I am not a true conservative--even as I've been simultaneously told, by the same folks, that Trump is not a conservative and I should not expect him to be guided by conservative principles.

Facts don't matter.  Logic doesn't matter. Ideology doesn't matter.  The public interest doesn't matter.  What matters, is knowing who our enemies are and making sure that they are unhappy.

The new Republican party platform:

What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Life will continue. Hate and anger will only get you so far and a course correction will take over shortly. 

Interesting, that's similar to what my sister keeps saying. She's endearingly hippyish (and active LDS, which is an interesting mix), and she keeps saying she feels a shift coming. 

I want an island, too!  I am trying to keep faith in the POTUS, but there is so much stupid coming out of Washington right now that it is really hard.  I want George W., a.k.a. the best president of all time, back in office!  

What's sad is I think Trump could be great, if he would drop Bannon, drop the conspiracy theories, drop the alt. right, and spend more time worrying about North Korea than his media image.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Eowyn said:

Interesting, that's similar to what my sister keeps saying. She's endearingly hippyish (and active LDS, which is an interesting mix), and she keeps saying she feels a shift coming. 

Hatred and anger eventually turns on one another. When Trumpers have no one else left to be angry towards, they'll start infighting. It's human nature. Look at Regan and Goneril in King Lear. 

On 3/9/2017 at 2:56 PM, Eowyn said:

Trump has become a champion for the bullies and bigots.

For months now anti-Trumpers have been rioting and committing numerous acts of violence, doing everything in the book to thwart Trump's presidency, and calling him and his followers every pejorative name imaginable, and yet somehow people still think it is Trump who is championing the bullies and bigots and hate. It takes my breath away. :o

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

10 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I would expect anyone with racist leanings to be shocked at today's world, as it becomes less and less tolerant of their ignorance.

Only shocked if they live in the US or western Europe.  

Travel to pretty much any other country in the world and you will find the exact opposite. Pick your poison, Latin America, Africa, India, Asia, SouthEast Asia, they are all "racists" the way the term is used today. My guess is that if you look at the total world population that has been brow-beat into the slightest offense at the drop of anything mildly racist is probably about 700million ... maybe 1billion.

For the rest of the 6 billion inhabitants of the Earth, they don't give a rip about being thought of as racists, bigots, etc. and they take extreme pride in their heritage and culture. Only in the US and Western Europe are we taught that taking pride in your culture is uncouth.

Even their language is against so-called equality.  Spanish has male and female, everything in spanish is either male of female, and I'm sure other languages have the same.

On 3/9/2017 at 5:18 PM, DoctorLemon said:

I want an island, too!  I am trying to keep faith in the POTUS, but there is so much stupid coming out of Washington right now that it is really hard.  I want George W., a.k.a. the best president of all time, back in office! 

Name the stupid that is coming out of Washington.

If you're talking about the character assassination of Jeff Sessions, then yes, it's stupid.  That's the work of Democrats.  Trump responded with the wiretapping to prevent Sessions' scalp from being the next Democrat trophy.  That's not stupid.  It's brilliant, actually.  Get the wiretapping investigation to suck the oxygen out of the media so Sessions can get a break.

If you're talking about the narrative of Russia colluding with Trump, then yes, it's stupid.  That's also the work of Democrats with the aid of McCain and Graham.

If you're talking about the travel ban, then no, that's not stupid.  What's stupid is the Federal Judges trying to wrest the power out of the President.

If you're talking about the Republican Healthcare Bill, that's not stupid.  That's how Congress is supposed to work.  It's supposed to be a fight of ideas to get things legislated in this country instead of a fight of donors.  It is following the exact path that proposed legislation goes through... a process that has been broken for 3 decades.  So, if you can just drop all the Democrats out of Washington, then Congress would be working as it is supposed to work.  The legislative fight of ideas is happening just fine with only the Republicans involved.  Democrats just obstruct for the mere objective of political obstruction.  They're like little kids rolling and crying on the floor while the adults are having a conversation.

Now, what else do you think is stupid?  Neil Gorsuch appointment is stupid?  Taking the teeth out of the Obamacare mandates is stupid?  Freezing hiring at the Executive Branch except for the Military and Border Patrol is stupid?  Cutting regulations is stupid?  Moving the Keystone and Dakota Pipelines forward is stupid?  Working towards school choice is stupid?  Supporting NATO but holding NATO members into account is stupid?  Deploying missile defense system to South Korea is stupid?  Strengthening Southern Border Control is stupid?  Ending TPP negotiations is stupid?  Yes yes... affirmative action on women and STEM is stupid.  That I agree with you.

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Name the stupid that is coming out of Washington.

If you're talking about the character assassination of Jeff Sessions, then yes, it's stupid.  That's the work of Democrats.  Trump responded with the wiretapping to prevent Sessions' scalp from being the next Democrat trophy.  That's not stupid.  It's brilliant, actually.  Get the wiretapping investigation to suck the oxygen out of the media so Sessions can get a break.

If you're talking about the narrative of Russia colluding with Trump, then yes, it's stupid.  That's also the work of Democrats with the aid of McCain and Graham.

If you're talking about the travel ban, then no, that's not stupid.  What's stupid is the Federal Judges trying to wrest the power out of the President.

If you're talking about the Republican Healthcare Bill, that's not stupid.  That's how Congress is supposed to work.  It's supposed to be a fight of ideas to get things legislated in this country instead of a fight of donors.  It is following the exact path that proposed legislation goes through... a process that has been broken for 3 decades.  So, if you can just drop all the Democrats out of Washington, then Congress would be working as it is supposed to work.  The legislative fight of ideas is happening just fine with only the Republicans involved.  Democrats just obstruct for the mere objective of political obstruction.  They're like little kids rolling and crying on the floor while the adults are having a conversation.

Now, what else do you think is stupid?  Neil Gorsuch appointment is stupid?  Taking the teeth out of the Obamacare mandates is stupid?  Freezing hiring at the Executive Branch except for the Military and Border Patrol is stupid?  Cutting regulations is stupid?  Moving the Keystone and Dakota Pipelines forward is stupid?  Working towards school choice is stupid?  Supporting NATO but holding NATO members into account is stupid?  Deploying missile defense system to South Korea is stupid?  Strengthening Southern Border Control is stupid?  Ending TPP negotiations is stupid?  Yes yes... affirmative action on women and STEM is stupid.  That I agree with you.

If you really want to know how I feel about Trump, Washington, politics, bipartisanship, foreign relations, terrorism, etc., I refer you to George W. Bush.  

I just wish the scandals, media fixation, and petty politics would stop and Trump would do something serious about North Korea and reducing the national debt.  THAAD is a start, but I feel like Trump is not taking the problem seriously, just like Obama did before.

And, if you must know, I sharply disagree with how Trump is handling Islam.  Trump should fire Steve Bannon and hire Ed Husain.

Edited by DoctorLemon

21 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

If you really want to know how I feel about Trump, Washington, politics, bipartisanship, foreign relations, terrorism, etc., I refer you to George W. Bush.  

I just wish the scandals, media fixation, and petty politics would stop and Trump would do something serious about North Korea and reducing the national debt.  THAAD is a start, but I feel like Trump is not taking the problem seriously, just like Obama did before.

And, if you must know, I sharply disagree with how Trump is handling Islam.  Trump should fire Steve Bannon and hire Ed Husain.

Trump IS DOING something serious about North Korea.  What is not serious about "All Options including pre-emptive strike is on the table"?  That is VERY serious.

Scandals, media fixation, petty politics will not stop until THE MEDIA stops.  In that Trump and WBush are opposites.  And in that, I agree with Trump... and interestingly, Rush Limbaugh also agree with Trump.  There is no question that the media is the propaganda arm of the Democrat party.  They sunk WBush's foreign policy and made a mockery of Benghazi.  They can make good people bad and bad people good and has effectively neutered the US military.  This is the same propaganda machine that has made pawns of the Philippines in the Vietnam war era, the Marcos era, and beyond.  We have been hurt BAD by this media.  And there's no other person who can finally wage this war against the media except Trump - because he is one of the very few Presidents the US has had who is impervious of media propaganda.  So you can call it media fixation or petty politics.  For people like Monica Crowley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKCpx4zHyQk), Bannon, Flynn, and Sessions, this is FAR from petty politics.

Now, about Bannon.  What is your beef against Bannon?  Do you hate Bannon in the same way Shapiro hates Bannon and for the same reasons?

The way Trump is handling Islamic terrorism IS one of the main reasons I supported him.