Thoughts on gay scene in Beauty and the Beast

Fether

Having seen the film? 

The "scenes" are such that you wouldn't know what you were looking at if you weren't already looking out for it. 

I'm wondering now if someone didn't whip up the hype on purpose in order to get more publicity for the film. 

5 hours ago, Ironhold said:

The "scenes" are such that you wouldn't know what you were looking at if you weren't already looking out for it.

That's exactly what I thought it would be. I'm going to go see it soon, wanted to see it tomorrow but all the seats are bought out.

Guest Godless

Interesting observation: The slew of people who have been raving about Beauty and the Beast on my FB feed the last couple of days have primarily been LDS. I guess this gay agenda nonsense was blown way out of proportion (there's a shocker).

17 hours ago, miav said:

That's exactly what I thought it would be. I'm going to go see it soon, wanted to see it tomorrow but all the seats are bought out.

I waited until Friday morning to get tickets for the morning matinee, and so the only seats that were left were in the very first row. 

One of my editors waited until noon to get tickets, and the theater was booked solid until 9:45 PM, far too late to be out with his young son. 

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

I waited until Friday morning to get tickets for the morning matinee, and so the only seats that were left were in the very first row. 

One of my editors waited until noon to get tickets, and the theater was booked solid until 9:45 PM, far too late to be out with his young son. 

It's on pace to earn 100 million this weekend. So far, that boycott is an astounding success.  

I just saw this and as mentioned, I don't know if I would have even noticed the scenes if I wasn't looking for them. Josh Gad as an actor brings so much humor to his characters that it was all made to be seen as funny rather than a serious consideration. Wonderful film overall, a little slow at times but a great remake. 

2 hours ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

I just saw this and as mentioned, I don't know if I would have even noticed the scenes if I wasn't looking for them. Josh Gad as an actor brings so much humor to his characters that it was all made to be seen as funny rather than a serious consideration. Wonderful film overall, a little slow at times but a great remake. 

Yeah. 

The Batman / Joker subtext from "Lego Batman" was more blatant and more obvious than this. 

On 3/4/2017 at 4:36 PM, yjacket said:

To each his own . . .time is limited I'd rather watch a movie without the homosexual stuff that makes me smile or laugh and tragedies that make me frown or cry-plenty of other movies/shows that do that.

This, and pretty much the way I felt about Arrow; I'd have kept watching it if there were at least two or three women other than his sister and mother that Oliver wasn't having sex with at every opportunity, but I started getting scared that they'd run short on female characters and have to resort to either incest or bisexuality to keep every episode at least 40% about his sex life rather than his crime fighting.

• pam unfeatured this topic
On 3/9/2017 at 7:54 AM, Godless said:

Learning how to handle contrary views isn't something that should be reserved for adulthood. By all means, teach your morals to your children, but also teach them that there are people out there who don't share your morals. As I said earlier, you can't erase the LGBT community from our society. Whether you agree with them morally or not, there's nothing wrong with teaching your kids that they're out there and that they're otherwise normal, productice members of our society and nothing to be afraid of or intimidated by. That's an important step to stopping the tide of hate that comes with blind ignorance.

It's not about contrary ideas.  It is about age-appropriate ideas.  I am supposed to decide when to discuss the birds and the bees with my kids.  It would be wholly inappropriate to open the topic with a 3 y.o.  If he chooses to open the topic, I'll discuss it in minimalistic terms both for appropriateness and for his level of understanding (which I'd have to feel out since it is different for each child).  As they get older, I'll open the topic so they have a full understanding of all the issues involved.  And we'll get into more in depth discussions as we go.

But for a third party to portray the angst of a person who is uncertain as to his sexuality in an otherwise child-appropriate movie is inappropriate.

On 3/17/2017 at 5:38 PM, Ironhold said:

Having seen the film? 

I'm wondering now if someone didn't whip up the hype on purpose in order to get more publicity for the film. 

Probably more to push the agenda. The content in the film, as I understand it (haven't seen it), is pretty innocuous. So why the pronouncement of homosexuality at all? I'm skeptical that anyone would believe that doing so would increase ticket sales, but, rather, that doing so wouldn't hurt them, but would set a standard for acceptability related to said content in children's films. If the content would have been more blatant then it might have actually, ultimately, hurt ticket sales and/or caused other issues. But with it being fairly subtle, but clearly defined by announcement as "gay", it has now been shown that putting gay moments into children's movies is perfectly acceptable. No biggie.

So what happens over the next few years in this regard?

Sure, this "moment" may have ultimately been harmless. Unannounced it may have gone by unnoticed. But they wanted it noticed. That's the point of it. Because noticed it becomes fulfillment of an agenda. Unnoticed it does not.

I went and saw the movie last night.  If I had not seen all of the hoop-la that so many were making regarding the "gay" character, I would have never noticed it.  What I saw was more a hero worship than anything else.  The one scene at the very end of the movie that could be take as gay you saw about 2 seconds of.   Seriously, 2 seconds.  And that was 2 guys dancing at a celebration.  But again, it was all of about 2 seconds.  

I think there was much ado about nothing.  Just my opinion.  

On 3/21/2017 at 10:06 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

But they wanted it noticed. That's the point of it. Because noticed it becomes fulfillment of an agenda. 

I agree.

The moment, from most accounts, seems to have been way overblown. I also agree that it is simply another small chip taken out of our moral standards as a society. 

But the proof of what you say is in the director's own comments:

“Can I just tell you? It’s all been overblown,” director Bill Condon said Friday in an interview with ScreenCrush.

Last week, Condon told Attitude magazine that the character LeFou (Josh Gad), “wants to kiss Gaston (Luke Evans),” in what “is a nice, exclusively gay moment in a Disney movie.”

“Because it’s just this — it’s part of just what we had fun with,” Condon said. “I love the way it plays pure when people don’t know and it comes as a nice surprise.”

So, while some might take the director's words as attempting to downplay the issue, I see his words as being the exact opposite.