Tasty and Healthy Foods

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet

I am revolutionizing my diet (and my life). I'll spare you the details, unless you ask me then Ill be happy to drone on endless about the hows, whys and successes of my new life style. 

My next step is to add more cruciferous vegetables. This will be a challenge because I'm not fond of veggies, but I'm determined. Feature veggie of the week is broccoli.

Do you like broccoli? How do you prepare it? How do you get your kids to eat it? (If it works for kids it might work for me.) Cheese and I are not friends, but go ahead and post cheesy suggestions if you like, someone else might benefit.

So...broccoli...go!!!

Edited by LiterateParakeet

46 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Do you like broccoli?

Yes, love it. It works great for target practice, temporary jungle dioramas, and reminding me I enjoy other vegetables like lima beans and Brussel sprouts much more. :D

On a serious note, I do enjoy broccoli:
1. Dipped in ranch dressing (add fat) to hide the broccoli taste.
2. Cheddar Broccoli soup - yummm!

Good luck LP on your quest!

Edited by NeedleinA

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've had success steaming broccoli in our rice steamer.  Lightly salted.  No melted cheese necessary, although that's good too.

This is the only way my kids will eat cooked broccoli.  Otherwise, they just eat the thing raw.  My kids like their vegetables raw or lightly steamed just to get it softened a bit.  They don't like dressing too.  They eat their salad like rabbits munching on the dry leaves - no dressing, no spices.  They do like mixing their leaves with fruit and nuts.

Now, I do make things like roasts with the veggies cooked with the meat in the slow cooker.  They'll eat those veggies but only because it tastes like the meat.

Edited by anatess2

@LiterateParakeet

I love my broccoli baked (cookery sheet in the oven) or BRBQ’ed (or on a stone raclette) with a little garlic butter and any number of vegie spices.   This also works for many other vegies (like carrots, cauliflower, pees, corn, asparagus and even potatoes.  Vegies should be cooked so they are still crisp (this does not mean burnt).  My favorite means to cook vegies is on a stone raclette at the same time and with some meat, onions and tomatoes or just about anything that is available.  Cleaning a raclette stone is a lot like a Dutch oven but a lot easier – and the more you use the stone the more it adds character and flavor.   

Oh, I forgot to add that a little pure oil (olive oil) can be added with some balsamic vinegar.  But the oil is not for liberation so it can be added at the end of cooking for flavor

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

This sounds good: http://talesofakitchen.com/breakfast/health-boosting-and-detoxifying-green-smoothie-with-broccoli-apple-and-celery/

broccoli-and-apple-smoothie03.jpg

A broccoli smoothie with tomato juice, carrots, fresh spinach, and celery is taste and healthy as well.It may even work with a bit of plain Greek yogurt for protein, though I haven't tried it.

Thanks, -Wade Englund

I am a rabbit. I eat vegetables every single day, lots of it!. Mainly raw veggies, but when I cook them I try to steam them for a little bit so they can still have a bite to it. I LOVE broccoli! I usually take a pan with a little water, throw a couple of garlic cloves and let it cook for a little bit and then add the broccoli.

1 hour ago, Suzie said:

I am a rabbit. I eat vegetables every single day, lots of it!. Mainly raw veggies, but when I cook them I try to steam them for a little bit so they can still have a bite to it. I LOVE broccoli! I usually take a pan with a little water, throw a couple of garlic cloves and let it cook for a little bit and then add the broccoli.

I do a microwave version of this... broccoli florets in a covered microwaveable bowl, drizzle with garlic-infused olive oil, add roasted minced garlic and nuke for 2.5 minutes in my microwave, 3 minutes at my brother's microwave.  Take out the bowl, open the cover to let out steam, then add parmesan, asiago, and romano blend shredded cheese and put the cover back on top then sing Shake It Off, Shake it Off while shaking the bowl for about 30 seconds.  Voila.  Broccoli that I would barely eat (I'm a meaty-grainy-fruity-tarian).

Guest Godless

I'm all about steamed and lightly-salted veggies, broccoli included. I've never felt a need for cheese or dipping sauce unless the veggies are raw, which I generally try to avoid.

Fruit! I love a good apple, oranges are even better.... But if you want something around that is great for snacking on, try mandarin oranges they are small and very easy to peel and are very very tasty.

On broccli, the smaller the chunks are, the easier it is to eat (its not one of my fave or even like foods). I prefer it in stirfry.

Guest LiterateParakeet

You guys are the best!  Thanks so much.  I'm making notes from all your great ideas, and I'm going to give it a try.  I brought some broccoli to work tonight . . .  (we have a kitchen).  Wish me luck! 

@NeuroTypical oh!  I hadn't thought of using the rice cooker in that way.  I love that idea.

@NeedleinA...LOL, I love those ideas.  Temporary jungle diorama is my favorite!

@anatess2 Oh!  I've had broccoli steamed...it was awhile ago, but I liked it.  Thanks for reminding me.  Your kids eat it with no dip?  Wow!  

@Traveler oh, that does sound good.  I've never heard of a raclette stone, I'll look it up though.  What do you mean " the oil is not for liberation"?   Can you tell I'm not much of a cook?  LOL.

@my two cents surprisingly (to me) that does look good.  I think the dressing will be crucial.  Yes, I'll go find some recipes!

@wenglund that is brilliant.  I love green smoothies, but I would have thought broccoli would be too strong a flavor.  I also don't eat tomatoes or celery (because of the texture...so a smoothie would solve those issues).  I can't wait to try this!

@Suzie I love that idea because it sounds so simple and quick.  You might have already guessed I don't like cooking. :)   Have you always liked veggies or was it an acquired taste?  (I'm hoping to acquire the taste, thus the question.)  

@Godless  Oh, good idea..I hadn't thought of steaming other veggies as well.  I get such tunnel vision sometimes...I could steam broccoli with some veggies I really love (carrots and cauliflower).  That would make my plate look more appealing as I adjust.  Thanks. 

@Blackmarch  you are so right.  Some people think giving up processed foods means the end of quick and easy food...but what is quicker than eating an apple? Or other tasty fruit?  I love the idea of cutting up the broccoli into smaller chunks.  I think that would help me a lot as well.  

Thanks again everyone!  I'll give you a short "report" later.  And ask you about other veggies!  Brussel Sprouts are next on my list....

Edited by LiterateParakeet

3 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@Traveler oh, that does sound good.  I've never heard of a raclette stone, I'll look it up though.  What do you mean " the oil is not for liberation"?   Can you tell I'm not much of a cook?  LOL.

@LiterateParakeet 

I do not consider myself a good cook – but I like to eat clean and healthy.  Cooking with a raclette and in particular a stone and not a grill is a great way to cook fast, easy, clean and healthy.  Using a stone changes the concept of frying because oils are not needed in keeping the food from sticking while cooking.  Sprinkle a little oil with some balsamic vinegar when the food has been cooked brightens flavors and people will think you are a gourmet cook.  I just like clean and healthy flavors.  BTW this method of cooking, at least for me. is more satisfying and less fattening and as fast and easy as frying a hamburger.  Plus, cleanup is just rinsing the stone in a sink.  Google raclette (a good one is expensive but well worth it) – but you can bake on a cookie sheet or in a frying pan for the same results – I just like the easy cleanup of a raclette and stone – I have better things to do that cook for an hour or more for a decent meal.

I also like to cook my taco shells and burrito tortoises without oil and a raclette and stone is perfect for that, as well.   

16 hours ago, Suzie said:

@LiterateParakeet They were normal to me. But more you eat them, more you will learn to love them ! I promise. :)

I don't like veggies.  I've always preferred fruit - tomatoes and cucumbers, I love.  People call them veggies but they're actually fruit, so I tell people I eat veggies - tomatoes and cucumbers and corn!  Hah!  I eat tomatoes fresh off the vine and cucumbers soaked in vinegar.

But, ever since I married my husband I've learned to eat salads - fresh salads.  Those are not normal Filipino fare.  Veggies in the Philippines are either put into a soup or put into a saucy meat dish.  So, anyway, I realized that I actually like fresh salads especially if they're in a vinaigrette dressing.  So, ever since I was a kid I've always told people - if spinach was the last thing left on the earth to eat, I would die the next day.  But then I discovered fresh baby spinach mixed with asiago, parmesan, and romano cheese, and corn kernels, and drizzled with evoo and lemon juice...

Oh yeah... cheese.  Not vegan.  :(

Guest LiterateParakeet

@anatess2, I hope I can learn to love a few more veggies the wsy you learned to loke spinach. :)

I don't like the texture of tomatoes, I wish I did, oranges same. I agree they are botanically fruit, cucumbers and avocados too. I believe corn is technically a grain. 

I like steamed broccoli with a touch of salt and some melted butter.  Unfortunately I can't eat it.  Broccoli is not a good thing for one with Crohn's disease.  Oh how I miss it.  

• pam featured this topic
Guest LiterateParakeet

Awww, sorry @pam. At this point, I can't imagine missing broccoli, but I'm trusting that @Suzie is right and my taste buds will change. Sorry you had to give up a beloved healthy food, Pam.

Just a trick for eating the veggies I don't like (in the beginning):

Steam or boil them too long. 

This makes them a lot softer. Then I add a decent amount of pepper and salt. (Which makes most things taste about the same when cooked too long.) 

So, after eating them in this manner, over the course of time, my taste buds go from loathing them, to tolerating them, to being "meh," to being ok, to having some decent compliment to some other foods, to kinda liking, to really enjoying them, and finally to craving them at times. 

I agree with Suzie... :eek: You not only get used to vegetables the more you eat them, but your body actually starts to have cravings for them! 

I too find that broccoli goes over best when it is steamed. My 18 month old even eats it up and loves it! 

As for the cheese sauce thing, LP you mention you're not friends; is this a flavor thing or a not getting along with dairy thing?

My wife makes delicious "cheese" sauce by mixing the following:

1/4 cup raw cashews (soaked over night is ideal)

1 1/4 cups diced/peeled potatoes (boiled soft)

1/3 cup diced carrots (boiled soft)

2-3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast

2 tablespoons grapeseed oil

7 1/2 teaspoons water

1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

1/2 tsp salt (optional) or to taste

1 medium clove garlic raw

1/2 tsp vinegar

put all the ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor and mix until smooth and creamy!

If you like spice you can also try adding a little cayenne or jalapeno pepper to the mix or some of your favourite hot sauce. 

Edited by SpiritDragon

I love a good broccoli/chicken casserole.  My Aunt had a great recipe, but when I asked her about it, she couldn't remember ever fixing it.  If anyone has a great recipe for a broccoli/chicken casserole please share it.  I'm trying to find a good recipe.

Guest LiterateParakeet

@SilentOne, ironically, in the past I haven't liked Chinese food because....too many vegetables.  LOL.  That will be changing now.  Thanks! :)

@SpiritDragon, my issue with cheese is definitely not a flavor thing, :)  I love cheese.  Trouble is I love it too much.  It causes me to overeat it and gives me powerful cravings!  The last time I tried to change my life style to eat clean and healthy, the chocolate cravings went away easily, the sugar cravings were next, but the cheese cravings lingered forever.  Also, though, my body has a hard time with the casein protein (so yes, I avoid milk and milk products also.)   I've heard of cashew cheese, but haven't tried it yet.  Thanks for the recipe, I look forward to trying it!  

@classylady, that is so funny to me that your aunt forgot the recipe...sounds like something I would do.  If I see a chicken/broccoli recipe, I'll be sure and share it here!  

UPDATE...so far I have tried broccoli steamed and roasted...yum!  Both of them were great and that makes me very hopeful about making them a regular part of my diet.   I also tried a cream of broccoli soup with potatoes, but it was thin and bland.  I don't think that will see a repeat performance at our house. :)  

Hi @LiterateParakeet, since you like roasted broccoli, here's 7 more ways to roast the thing.  I can't vouch for these because I haven't made any of them.  A friend of mine bragged about making all these and that they're super yummy even for her toddler.

http://paleogrubs.com/roasted-broccoli-recipes

• pam unfeatured this topic