Tasty and Healthy Foods

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet
28 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Hi @LiterateParakeet, since you like roasted broccoli, here's 7 more ways to roast the thing.  I can't vouch for these because I haven't made any of them.  A friend of mine bragged about making all these and that they're super yummy even for her toddler.

http://paleogrubs.com/roasted-broccoli-recipes

Thanks!  I look forward to trying these. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

On 3/13/2017 at 7:59 PM, classylady said:

I love a good broccoli/chicken casserole.  My Aunt had a great recipe, but when I asked her about it, she couldn't remember ever fixing it.  If anyone has a great recipe for a broccoli/chicken casserole please share it.  I'm trying to find a good recipe.

My wife makes an outstanding broccoli chicken casserole. I'm no great broccoli fan, and I love the stuff. It's the creamy sauce that puts it over the top. I'll see if I can remember to get the recipe from her when she gets home tonight.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

My wife makes an outstanding broccoli chicken casserole. I'm no great broccoli fan, and I love the stuff. It's the creamy sauce that puts it over the top. I'll see if I can remember to get the recipe from her when she gets home tonight.

You do realize that as good as "creamy sause" tasts - that such things usually tends more towards the fatining and unhealhy than the healthy.

The Traveler

26 minutes ago, Traveler said:

You do realize that as good as "creamy sause" tasts - that such things usually tends more towards the fatining and unhealhy than the healthy.

"Holy cow. Life is too short to eat margarine instead of real butter." -Vort, as a young man out on his own and experimenting with real butter for the first time

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

The Traveler

It's interesting that you mention this because when I turned vegetarian the first time (before going vegan), I was going crazy over these bechamel sauces without realizing how unhealthy (and yes fattening) they are. Generally speaking, I think people think that just because something has veggies is suddenly "healthy". A green salad is great but if we start adding bacon, ranch dressing, parmesan cheese etc, it defeats the purpose of eating the salad IF we are eating for health reasons.

10 minutes ago, Suzie said:

Are you sure you aren't Paula Deen? :P

I have a nephew-in-law who was adopted and loves to cook and bake. He says Paula is his birth mother and refers to her as Mama Dean.

On 3/6/2017 at 8:31 AM, LiterateParakeet said:

I am revolutionizing my diet (and my life). I'll spare you the details, unless you ask me then Ill be happy to drone on endless about the hows, whys and successes of my new life style. 

My next step is to add more cruciferous vegetables. This will be a challenge because I'm not fond of veggies, but I'm determined. Feature veggie of the week is broccoli.

Do you like broccoli? How do you prepare it? How do you get your kids to eat it? (If it works for kids it might work for me.) Cheese and I are not friends, but go ahead and post cheesy suggestions if you like, someone else might benefit.

So...broccoli...go!!!

Haha, for the sake of health I eat broccoli from time to time. I have had to *adapt* to a flavor I don't particularly seem to savor naturally. But I'm ok with that for health's sake. Still there are plenty of times I choose to eat things which my dietician daughter-in-law cringes at. I don't care because those things do a have a flavor I particularly savor. The only caveat is I try to avoid exaggerating. :) P.S. I hope nobody accuses me of "food-virtue signaling" if you know what I mean, hahahaha. P.P.S. Hahahahahahaha, I feel so badly for the woman who bruised herself I can't stop cry-laughing. :)

Edited by Mike

Guest Godless
On 3/16/2017 at 3:46 PM, Vort said:

"Holy cow. Life is too short to eat margarine instead of real butter." -Vort, as a young man out on his own and experimenting with real butter for the first time

It took me a while to convert my parents from margarine to butter. And by the time I did, I think margarine was finally starting to be made without the trans fats that made it so much more unhealthy than butter for decades. 

On 3/16/2017 at 3:52 PM, Suzie said:

It's interesting that you mention this because when I turned vegetarian the first time (before going vegan), I was going crazy over these bechamel sauces without realizing how unhealthy (and yes fattening) they are. Generally speaking, I think people think that just because something has veggies is suddenly "healthy". A green salad is great but if we start adding bacon, ranch dressing, parmesan cheese etc, it defeats the purpose of eating the salad IF we are eating for health reasons.

There is very little that's healthy about the salads I make. I'm a huge fan of cobb salads in particular.

On 2017-03-06 at 10:39 AM, NeedleinA said:

Yes, love it. It works great for target practice, temporary jungle dioramas, and reminding me I enjoy other vegetables like lima beans and Brussel sprouts much more. :D

On a serious note, I do enjoy broccoli:
1. Dipped in ranch dressing (add fat) to hide the broccoli taste.
2. Cheddar Broccoli soup - yummm!

Good luck LP on your quest!

Yummy!

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest LiterateParakeet
On 3/16/2017 at 2:55 PM, anatess2 said:

This would really crack you up then:

ROFL!  Oh my, I almost spit water all over my computer!  She is hysterical.  

Guest LiterateParakeet

Okay....so the winner is steamed broccoli.  I mean that is my favorite.   But I also like some of the other suggestions for variety.  I confess that even though I like green smoothies (for me this means spinach, banana and berries), I haven't been brave enough to try the broccoli smoothie suggested.  But I will!  I promise.  

Next up...leafy greens....these are the bane of my existence.  I just read in "How Not to Die" (great title and great book!) that leafy greens are the healthiest things you can eat.  But except for spinach, I hate them.  What's a girl to do?  The book did give some interesting suggestions (one of the reasons I like this book...he gives some very simple, down to earth suggestions about how to use these foods).  That said, I'd love to hear how you eat your greens...if you do :) .  (If you don't, CONFESS, so I won't feel alone, LOL!) My focus is on being healthier, but feel free to share your less healthy suggestions, they may be better than not eating greens at all....or someone else might benefit.

So...leafy greens...go!   (And thanks!) 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Yay! for steamed broccoli!  
The first thing that came to mind for leafy greens is lettuce wraps (think taco).  Iceberg lettuce doesn't have much nutritional value so try romaine maybe (something with big leaves).  Anyway, you can fill it with whatever suits your fancy.  Just google for ideas.  Yummy!

3 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Okay....so the winner is steamed broccoli.  I mean that is my favorite.   But I also like some of the other suggestions for variety.  I confess that even though I like green smoothies (for me this means spinach, banana and berries), I haven't been brave enough to try the broccoli smoothie suggested.  But I will!  I promise.  

Next up...leafy greens....these are the bane of my existence.  I just read in "How Not to Die" (great title and great book!) that leafy greens are the healthiest things you can eat.  But except for spinach, I hate them.  What's a girl to do?  The book did give some interesting suggestions (one of the reasons I like this book...he gives some very simple, down to earth suggestions about how to use these foods).  That said, I'd love to hear how you eat your greens...if you do :) .  (If you don't, CONFESS, so I won't feel alone, LOL!) My focus is on being healthier, but feel free to share your less healthy suggestions, they may be better than not eating greens at all....or someone else might benefit.

So...leafy greens...go!   (And thanks!) 

Leafy greens are a lot more fun to eat if you spend the extra minutes to make it into a fun meal.  This one is my kids' and husband's favorite.  I can put pretty much any kind of leaves in it.  The more colorful, the better.  To give the leaves contrasting texture, I add julienned jicama, carrots, cucumber, and/or bean sprouts.  To add some carbs, I add cooked rice noodles.  To add some protein, I add cooked shrimp.  Other than the rice noodles and shrimp, everything else I put in raw.  What makes it fun is the rice paper.  If using all raw ingredients, I can make a roll in very little time - it only takes 15 seconds to soak the rice paper in water to be ready for rolling!  For dressing, I use peanut sauce from the store or make my own using peanut butter and garlic hoysin sauce.

Spring-Rolls.jpg

A leafy green that has gained some popularity is the kale.  That leaf is just absolutely yuck.  Only way I can eat that thing is if this guy brings his home-made kale chips to ward activities - he makes yummy ones, you taste the salt and not the kale.  I tried making them at home but I end up burning each one or it doesn't come out crunchy.  I can't even have kale smoothies even with only a few kale leaves mixed with apples or bananas.  The kale taste is just too strong.

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

A leafy green that has gained some popularity is the kale.  That leaf is just absolutely yuck.  Only way I can eat that thing is if this guy brings his home-made kale chips to ward activities - he makes yummy ones, you taste the salt and not the kale.  I tried making them at home but I end up burning each one or it doesn't come out crunchy.  I can't even have kale smoothies even with only a few kale leaves mixed with apples or bananas.  The kale taste is just too strong.

I guess I'm lucky...I have a rather limited sense of smell and taste, so for me it's more about texture.  I've got to try kale chips.  I put it in my smoothie today and that was fine.  

On an unrelated note:  my daughter and I went to Iceland, and because it is a local custom, we decided to try rotten shark.  For me it wasn't that bad, but I didn't care for the texture.  I couldn't swallow it though, I think because i was laughing too hard at my poor daughter who was gagging.  She said the smell and taste were awful, and her body refused to allow her to swallow.  She's braver than me and tried it twice, but couldn't swallow it.  LOL! 

On 3/16/2017 at 11:40 AM, Vort said:

(For the record, my wife uses fresh broccoli, not frozen, and it tastes just great. This is one of the few recipes she uses that calls for canned soup; if you have your own cream/chicken soup recipe, I expect that would work just fine. Also FTR, Amanda Shaw was the sister who donated the recipe to the Ward cookbook lo these many years ago. I thought it only right to give her the credit due her.)

BROCCOLI AND CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Amanda Shaw

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
1 pkg. frozen broccoli
½ cup mayonnaise
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ Tbsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. curry powder
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
Paprika

Place broccoli in a casserole dish, then top with chicken. Heat soup, mayonnaise, and cheese with spices; pour over broccoli and chicken. Sprinkle paprika on top. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

(350° F = 177° C)