A surprising approach to promoting gender equality

askandanswer

Female traffic light signals to go up at pedestrian crossing as Committee for Melbourne tackles 'unconscious bias'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-07/female-traffic-light-signals-melbourne-pedestrian-crossing/8330560

Chief executive Martine Letts said having only green or red silhouettes of men discriminated against women.

"The idea is to install traffic lights with female representation, as well as male representation, to help reduce unconscious bias," she said.

Ms Letts said the group wanted to see female and male representation on all pedestrian crossings.

"The aim is to move towards one-to-one male and female representation across the state of Victoria."

It costs an average of $8,400 to change six traffic lights.

This is why women stay far away from the Feminist movement 

In the US, only 23% of women identify themselves as feminists even as over 80% of them believe in gender equality and a majority of them are in the Democrat Party - the political party of the feminists.  In the UK, only 7% of women identify themselves as feminists.  In Australia, feminism is so disparaged that they changed the name to lefty-feminism.

Guest MormonGator

I can't believe all you misogynists are not more accepting of this. We all know that the number one problem facing women today is clearly their representation on traffic lights. Shame on all of you. 

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods, a bunch of people - about a dozen or so - marched in all white with red paint, like blood, on their crotch.  I was thinking... oh... a feminist march demanding free sanitary pads and tampons... But to my surprise, the signs they were holding said - "Circumcision is Genital Mutilation".  So yeah, at least its a change from the standard leftist protests around here.

And now some people have started to wonder aloud if, for the sake of equality, we should start having traffic lights depicting disabled and elderly and LGBTI people. Interestingly, these calls were coming from both people who liked, and who disliked the idea, but it seemed like those who disliked the idea were being sarcastic, not genuine.

Am I the only one who thinks it's self-contradictory (and therefore hilarious) that the idea is the traffic lights are bad because they fail to show a silhouette of a person in a dress.... which is the sort of gender stereotypes these people usually complain about?

Maybe the signs ALREADY show men and women... just everybody's wearing pants.

17 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Unixknight is anti-male-cross-dressing!  I mean really, it's even been on StarTrek - how can ya be so backwards!

Haha nice!

Actually, this is how we know how screwed up all the gender-bending politics really is... Your joke actually reinforces my point, because if cross-dressing is normal for both sexes, then the sign depicting a person in a dress should have the EXACT same meaning as one who isn't.  Therefore changing all the signs is a waste because we now have TWO ways in which the existing signs already referred to everybody.

Guest MormonGator
52 minutes ago, Traveler said:

To quote Shakespeare “Nothing is as good or as bad as it seems only that thinking makes it so”.

The Traveler

Amen

20 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Yeay!  The social justice warriors are at it again!  The conservatives gain more supporters!  Go right, Australia!

Australia certainly is taking a hard turn to the right at the moment. The state elections in Western Australia this weekend will provide a great insight into just how hard and how fast we are making that turn as this will be the first entrance of new far right One Nation party on a large scale in a state election.

On 3/7/2017 at 11:55 AM, MormonGator said:

I can't believe all you misogynists are not more accepting of this. We all know that the number one problem facing women today is clearly their representation on traffic lights. Shame on all of you. 

The #1 problem facing women in Australia is waiting for the light to change so they can find a bathroom across the street:

A pedestrian crossing light flashes with a female silhouette.

(actual image from the article)

On 3/7/2017 at 11:19 AM, unixknight said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's self-contradictory (and therefore hilarious) that the idea is the traffic lights are bad because they fail to show a silhouette of a person in a dress.... which is the sort of gender stereotypes these people usually complain about?

Maybe the signs ALREADY show men and women... just everybody's wearing pants.

That was the first thing I thought. Then I wondered if they were actually just making signals with more of a figure, but looking at the picture mordorbund posted, apparently not.

On March 7, 2017 at 2:10 AM, askandanswer said:

Female traffic light signals to go up at pedestrian crossing as Committee for Melbourne tackles 'unconscious bias'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-07/female-traffic-light-signals-melbourne-pedestrian-crossing/8330560

Chief executive Martine Letts said having only green or red silhouettes of men discriminated against women.

"The idea is to install traffic lights with female representation, as well as male representation, to help reduce unconscious bias," she said.

Ms Letts said the group wanted to see female and male representation on all pedestrian crossings.

"The aim is to move towards one-to-one male and female representation across the state of Victoria."

It costs an average of $8,400 to change six traffic lights.

So now your going to be subliminally telling people that one gender means go while the other means stop?

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Why can't we be more concerned about women who can't drive in Saudi, women being mutilated in Africa, women denied education in Afghanistan?

Because the men involved in those scenarios, fight back.  With lethal force.

Edited by Just_A_Guy